The movie thread

I can't guarantee the show's 100% realistic and it's probably a bit overly dramatized -- isn't that true of almost any show? but it's got an interesting plot line, good acting, and as a bonus I like the way it puts a human face on people who are in prison.

I can't guarantee the show's 100% realistic and it's probably a bit overly dramatized -- isn't that true of almost any show? but it's got an interesting plot line, good acting, and as a bonus I like the way it puts a human face on people who are in prison.

I cannot watch it with M for that very reason. He has a correctional degree and just says during the show "that would never happen". But hey for me it's fun to watch. I don't care if it's real.

Realism = not required and you're right, it is fun to watch.

I'm just mad cause after one more episode, I'll have to start waiting around for Season Three to come out!

News flash: Yesterday (July 14, 3:40 p.m. Pacific Time) I made a rare appearance in a movie theater to watch "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (2014) with my two V companions. Brother-Husband has a thing for "all things monkey" so naturally he's hyped about the Planet of the Apes saga.

I give it a solid thumbs up -- as I do its prequel, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (2011). We live in an age of extensive CGI and special effects, and while the 2011 and 2014 Apes movies are both packed with such special effects, they

• tend to not use them in nearly as in-your-face a style as so many movies today,
  • keep the action elements down to a dull roar,
  • balance all of it with a real plot, interesting characters, good acting, etc.
I would recommend both movies, and hope this franchise of new Planet of the Apes movies will continue to produce more sequels. They're definitely worth this viewer's while.

News flash: Yesterday (July 14, 3:40 p.m. Pacific Time) I made a rare appearance in a movie theater to watch "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (2014) with my two V companions. Brother-Husband has a thing for "all things monkey" so naturally he's hyped about the Planet of the Apes saga.

I give it a solid thumbs up -- as I do its prequel, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (2011). We live in an age of extensive CGI and special effects, and while the 2011 and 2014 Apes movies are both packed with such special effects, they

• tend to not use them in nearly as in-your-face a style as so many movies today,
  • keep the action elements down to a dull roar,
  • balance all of it with a real plot, interesting characters, good acting, etc.
I would recommend both movies, and hope this franchise of new Planet of the Apes movies will continue to produce more sequels. They're definitely worth this viewer's while.

Thanks for the review. Around here on Tuesdays it's $5 movie days so I try to see movies that I am interested in but not 100% sure on. But now I think I will go and see that movie. As you I am not a fan of overly done cgi.

Due to my own suggestion on a certain other thread (which I'm now pimping), Snowbunny and I re-watched "Kramer versus Kramer" (1979) last night. Great show, well ahead of its time. Presents the viewer with hard questions about what it means to prioritize one's child.

Interesting story about the making of it: When it was filmed, Dustin Hoffman was apparently going through a divorce of his own, so he had some real raw emotion to pour into the character role he played. There was a scene when Ted Kramer (Hoffman) had met for drinks with his ex, Joanna (Meryl Streep). Ted hadn't seen her for a long time and was glad to see her, until she started talking about taking custody of their son Billy. Ted became so upset that he smashed the wine glass he was holding and stomped out.

By Streep's account, Hoffman's performance in that scene was so real that it didn't seem like acting at all. (I don't think the smashing of the glass was a planned part of the script.) In fact, she thought he was actually going to clock her on camera. Hence when she flinches when that glass breaks, she's not acting at all, she's reacting out of genuine fear.

Anyway, great acting, good plot, very realistic (especially given how long ago it was filmed), and the kid actor (Justin Henry who played Billy) portrayed his own role in a very natural way, not canned at all. One of the earliest movies where a kid actor could be seen making it so real.

If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat. If you have seen it, it's well worth watching again. In my opinion.

Orange is the new black is great. I binged watched the second season with my girl friend the day it came out!

Currently watching united States of Tara. So very funny!

My older brother is helping me get caught up on "Game of Thrones." Just recently finished Season 3, Episode 10. Quite a worthy show, though I admit I rely on subtitles to help me with the inflections/accents. Go Daenerys Targaryen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea! ... amirite?

I watched Frozen with my niece today. This is the fourth time I've seen the movie, and it still made me cry. Disney knows how to get to me. Damn you, Disney. Damn you.

I still have to fight back the tears (near the end) when I watch "The Secret of NIMH." Awesome cartoon movie, extremely well done.

Back