our poly roots

Ravenscroft

Banned
I figured I'd launch a "miscellanea" thread.

When I first set out to create some replicable model for open nonmonogamy, I was very familiar with all the literature -- well, such as it was in the early '80s -- on non-monogamous sexuality, but a key point avoided by almost all the studies & articles was how the heck are you supposed to meet like-minded people?

At the same time, I was a fairly new Wiccan (~two years), had been attending fan-run science-fiction conventions about as long, & was new to the whole Renaissance Faire thing. There was a LOT of nonmonogamy happening there; sure, some looked more like middle-class suburban "cocktail party" groping & quickies, but there were also a lot of people who were completely open about demonstrating affection to multiple others -- no theory, no philosophy other than "it feels right." They inspired me.

So, for the scrapbook, here's three old photos from various World Science Fiction Convention (a.k.a Worldcon) costume competitions.

1971: "Strider, Goldberry, Tom Bombadil and Frodo". In the center is, of course, Julie Carter, whom so many of you know well. :rolleyes:
w71m010.jpeg

source

1972: "Cernunnos & Ceridwen." On the right, Julie Carter-Zell.
w72m009.jpeg

source

1974: Tim Zell as "Peter Stag," and Morning Glory Zell as "High Priestess of the Goddess Coulmbia".
w74m021.jpeg

source

You might now recognize Tim in the first two. :D

(Coincidentally, I lived for a bit over a year with the sister of the guy who took the last two photos. He's still married to author Pamela Dean. Fandom can be a REALLY small world sometimes. ;))

Huh. I was going to expand from conventions those photos made me think of. Back in the '90s, being "poly" &/or "bi" was a really trendy thing in the Twin Cities sf/f community, & amidst a lot of chaff were some really great moments, & lots of people loudly proud of their new "style."

I left Minneapolis in 2000, apparently at the peak. Sometime over the past decade, most of the people I'd love to name-drop here have quietly removed blog entries, articles, photos, etc., where they baldly proclaimed their beliefs. I getthe feeling I'd now be intruding on their privacy to put in any "remember when...?" moments.

Bums me out a little. Like a piece of my life evaporated, & I hadn't even noticed.

Last edited:
These pix are all of early poly celebrities? Do you have any pix of yourself at sci fi or Wiccan cons or celebrations?

I hate when people get old and more conservative and lose interest in poly or BDSM or hippy ideals, or whatever, or turn Republican! Argh!

Back