Religious survey

R's parents are very zealous Christians who try to convert everyone to their denomination. When they started in on our kids, we drew the line.

The end result is: They're only allowed to see their grandkids as long as they don't mention religion to them in any way.

:mad:

One of my friends dad said that I should have an excorcism on me. That was only after seeing me for 5 seconds. lol

A good example of evolution in humans that's happening now is antibiotic resistance.

I thought antibiotic resistance was a result of evolution in bacteria, not humans. And since they have a fairly short lifespan, bacteria can adapt through many generations in a fairly short period of time from our perspective.

I thought antibiotic resistance was a result of evolution in bacteria, not humans. And since they have a fairly short lifespan, bacteria can adapt through many generations in a fairly short period of time from our perspective.

You're right, of course. I misspoke (or mis-typed). I really should stop multi-tasking so much. I recently read an article about how our use of medicines like antibiotics affect the evolution of the cells in our bodies, but I can't seem to find it again. It was something about how our over-use of antibiotics trains our bodies to not fight so hard against bacterial infections by lessening the selective pressures acting on our cells. I wish I could find it again, it was an interesting article.

Thanks for correcting me. :)

hmm...bacteria in a religious thread...works for me...

You're right, of course. I misspoke (or mis-typed). I really should stop multi-tasking so much. I recently read an article about how our use of medicines like antibiotics affect the evolution of the cells in our bodies, but I can't seem to find it again. It was something about how our over-use of antibiotics trains our bodies to not fight so hard against bacterial infections by lessening the selective pressures acting on our cells. I wish I could find it again, it was an interesting article.

Thanks for correcting me. :)

Interesting. I'd love to hear about that article if you find it. Though I would wonder how much the antibiotics are having an effect on how cells activate or not activate their processes, which would point more towards environmental factors, as compared with changing the genetic makeup of the cell, which would point more towards evolution.

Interesting. I'd love to hear about that article if you find it. Though I would wonder how much the antibiotics are having an effect on how cells activate or not activate their processes, which would point more towards environmental factors, as compared with changing the genetic makeup of the cell, which would point more towards evolution.

Environmental factors influence evolution, too, actually. More of a who-survives-to-proliferate sort of way as opposed to passing on genes to your offspring that affect their fitness.

I'll look for that article when finals are over. :)

One of my pet peeves: "The Bible says."

The Bible says a lot of things.

Where was it said, and by whom, and is it contradicted elsewhere, and what does that (gather in fellowship) mean? Are solitary hermit monks not Xtian b/c of that one line?

Right on. It's a peeve of mine too. Nearly as much as clinging to definitions in a dictionary while language continues to change. When you can have a word that contradicts itself like sanction, it puts it into perspective. The words are less relevant than they were before they were printed.

I had a similar experience with my very Catholic grandmother who was always upset that my parents weren't raising us in the church. She would always try to reeducate me to save me whenever I spent time with her. But she died when I was 9 so I never really hit the point where I could have a serious religious dialogue with her.

I love that in a UU church you'll find a service about Islamic mysticism one week, a service about Advent and the idea of ritualistic waiting in the darkest months another week, and a service about Richard Dawkins and the rationalists yet another week.

My mom had a similar moment when I expressed my first interest in Wicca. Suddenly I was dragged to church.

My family is Anglican generally. That usually translates from British to U.S. to be Episcopalian.

That is another reason why I am drawn to the UU church. The spiritual length and breadth they encompass is amazing. Where I used to live near my uni, they would show the service from the previous week on the local channel. It was very nice especially since I never seemed to be able to get down there.

To answer the original inquiry I am Pagan. Spiritual, earthy and eclectic. African and European influences and whatever I learn next. Pantheist is a compatible term.

~Raven~

GG identifies as Christian.
Maca identifies as undeclared.

I was raised Christian.
I believe in God. I believe in 1st Corinthians 13.

I don't believe that the modern day Christian Church has much of anything straight.

I don't identify as anything because it's too damn easy to complicate understanding.

Religion

Libertarian / Humanist
&
Yes a Atheist

(dare I say the name) - still apparently a dirty word perhaps even for this forum. :)

Religion - Agnostic (brought up christian, but my parents introduced me to a lot of religions, I decided they were all partially right and partially wrong)
Politics - Conservative (but canadian, which means I am likely green party in the states ;))

:)

Catholic by baptism Unitarian (UK) by choice with definate Paganistic tendencies. I currently work in a church school... go figure.

Having said that I love comparitive theology :D

Temporal agnostic and part-time ignostic and quite passionate about it.

I identify as Christian; was raised in Northern Utah and Southern Idaho and yes from 16 - 23 a Mormon. My family is Mormon, Catholic, Jewish, Christian, and Agnostic. I find being a Christian Minister in a church with a diversity of beliefs to be refreshing and a place where anyone can share their beliefs and not be turned away.

Thea identifies as Christian, Cathy as Christian with a strong Catholic background, Carole as Christian with a strong connection to shamanism and Jamie as Christian with a strong connection with the earth and those traditions that focus on taking care of the earth.

What we all have in common is a belief that we are all children of a loving God, by whatever name we may attach to the Divine, and that what we hold deeply is the Christian belief that Christ said the greatest law was to love God and the second was to love our neighbor as ourself. It is all about love and being honest and respectful of each others beliefs.

I am a currently Practicing Mormon, who is taking the first steps in dabbling in polyamory. (if they can believe in polygamy why not polyamory?? is my take on it...)

I am trying to create a balancing act between my faith and my lifestyle, but one or the other may actually give way to the other. Or I may be able to live both openly and honestly. We shall see....time will tell.

I am doing much pondering and soul searching. I do not have much to say on the subject other than that, my spirituality like most peoples is deeply personal :)

A very interesting read

I don't believe that the modern day Christian Church has much of anything straight.

This is a fascinating thread to read! I agree in principle with the sentiment above, but I have to point out that there's so much diversity within Christianity that it's really hard to say anything at all about "the" Christian church. There's a group base out west that calls itself "liberated" Christians, and they're open to alternate sexualities. There are also quite a few "liberal" Christian denominations that are tolerant and accepting; I think the idea is to promote "responsible" sexuality rather than condemning alternative sexualities. Plenty of people have been hurt by various expressions of religion, but I think it's better to recognize that there's a broad spectrum of thought, and even within one religion (Christianity, for example) there isn't really one set of rules.

That said, I identify as Christian, but not as dogmatic or exclusive. I don't think we can really know very much about God, but I see God as love.

interesting comments

Fried Pie,

I live and went to seminary among many of those who identify as progressive Christians; I went to Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley. I was blessed to be able to be out as a lesbian and as living in a polyamorous relationship and not be condemned. :)

It is very true that there really is no specific "Christian" church. Even within denominations the beliefs vary greatly. There may be commonalities, but not what I would consider a "unity of the faith." I find that it is not necessary for my congregation to believe what I believe, we gather as a community of faith. A faith that is basically centered on Christ as Savior, but there are many roads that have gotten each of us to that point.

Thank you for the comments, I enjoy the discussion.

Christianity is pretty diverse. I believe I read that in 2001, there were over 30,000 denominations. So it seems like there there are many options open for Christians to find the denomination they fit in. (If they want to be part of a larger group that is.)

Libertarian / Humanist
&
Yes a Atheist

(dare I say the name) - still apparently a dirty word perhaps even for this forum. :)

Hey Mez,

Nawwww - not a dirty word here.
Difference being that I think you'll find here that a majority have a much better grasp on the distinction between 'religion' and 'spirituality.

I'm a Christian. Raised Baptist. I don't currently attend a church of any kind regularly. I've become disillusioned with organized religion for the most part. I've found that what is taught (and I've done my fair share of the teaching) isn't necessarily what the bible is saying. I find translations by man and what they "want" the bible to say is really what is passed as truth.

I now usually attend a Unitarian Universalist church. They are very diversified in the beliefs the congregation as individuals holds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am always interested in how others see religion in their lives. Our spiritual lives are impacted not only by what we carry with us from our youth but also by what is currently transpiring. And your are very correct when you say what is taught in my faith traditions is not necessarily what the Bible really says.

Again, I appreciate your sharing and God bless you in your continued spiritual walk.

Back