Has anyone considered forming a "survival" group?

AandE

I have recently discovered the polyamory philosophy, but was in a 12 year *open* relationship, a 4 year open relationship, and am now in a new open relationship which is currently in bloom. I put *quotes* on the first one because it was never discussed, but understood. The second was with a European and their views on sex and relationships are much more relaxed than those that we have here in the states. I have never been married, but I am a single mother of a 7 yo boy.

I have also recently been doing alot of research on 2012 and have come to the conclusion that this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community. Again, the *quotes* are because I have not discussed this with anyone in my immediate circle for fears they may have me committed for Chicken Little Disorder, but what the hell do they know anyway?

If anyone on this forum has been researching same, and is interested in same, I would very much like to create a separate dialogue. I can offer some videos and other information, but please take this information with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions. I don't agree with everything I have read, but i have seen enough to come to my own decisions about what I believe and what I don't. I guess the same could be said about those researching and/or choosing to believe in the polyamory philosophy......

Last edited:
I am not sure what this has to so with poly...

But that aside... Why would anyone want to survive if 2012 brings unspeakable cataclysm? I certainly don't want to be one of the few left mourning over the ashes, so to speak.

I believe this is talk of a poly family acting as a survival group as well. Based on end of world predictions in 2012..

Thats my take anyways.

And no, never thought of it and not interested. Not really my bag, survival communes are.. umm... ya I will just say, not my thing.

I have also recently been doing alot of research on 2012 and have come to the conclusion that this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community. Again, the *quotes* are because I have not discussed this with anyone in my immediate circle for fears they may have me committed for Chicken Little Disorder, but what the hell do they know anyway?

No offence but if I had a dollar for every day the world was supposed to end, I'd be rich. Relax and stop reading paranoia propaganda. People pray on the fears of others to make money..like survival store sales people who would convince you you need food stockpiles and gas masks for the coming apocolypse.

Again, no offence but my guess is you're here to promote doomsday and have little interest in polyamory. If I'm wrong, I apologize and welcome to the forum :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point...I have always desired a kind of polyamorous community living that I have found described here on this forum, and the cultural aspect is very attractive to me. It is born of a higher intelligence. I hope to evolve, not mourn over the ashes.

Well, I admit to finding the idea of an entire community dedicate to the concept of poly extremely interesting, I don't think that a poly community would survive the end of the world any better than any other kind. In fact they might do worse because in severe survival situations, strong family units are often the key to rebuilding a civilization. And if you have 3 wives and 8 kids and all your wives have 2 or 3 husbands... well... it gets hard to know who to feed first when there isn't enough to go around.

Forgive me as I learn how to navigate this site....but I am in no way promoting doomsday or *survival communes*, but rather am just hoping to find others who may be likeminded in my desire to evolve our culture a bit while still keeping an ear to the ground. Sorry to offend.

Oh no worries! :) You didn't offend. Feel free to express anything that you want here.

I think this was just kind of out of left field so people were going "wow, never thought of that before." :D

i think it's very interesting as a subject on the whole.

Thanks. I was surprised at the initial responses because I thought I was in left field, and was wondering what those with statuses of mono and straight have to do with poly as well. But I suppose if I stick around, I will find out

Well, I admit to finding the idea of an entire community dedicate to the concept of poly extremely interesting, I don't think that a poly community would survive the end of the world any better than any other kind. In fact they might do worse because in severe survival situations, strong family units are often the key to rebuilding a civilization. And if you have 3 wives and 8 kids and all your wives have 2 or 3 husbands... well... it gets hard to know who to feed first when there isn't enough to go around.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite: that a polyamory community WOULD be the strongest family unit. In my history they call this a Clan. However, perhaps now we have the freedom now to redefine it as we see fit in a new paradigm.

Clan; I haven't heard that one... tribe, constellation, yes.

Have you done any research on intentional communities? This is what came up for me when I read your posts. There are some poly ideals within those that are interested in pursuing this kind of community I have heard. I don't really know much about it but I think there is a link to permaculture also.

If you find anything interesting out I would love it if you came back and told us about it. I have always been interested, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

What do you mean wondering about straight people involved in poly? Did you think only bisexual people want to have multiple loving relationships? Just curious.

Its actually fairly common. I have ranted about it before. I am hoping this is just another misunderstanding sentence.

I have debated this on fetlife. There can be a disbelief that straight people can't be poly. *shrugs*.. I have always found the argument to be way out in left field.

Wonder if that means the opposite is true, can gay people be poly then? I never thought to ask that... runs to fetlife to find the ancient thread.

Last edited:
Nah, it's probably not bi people in general - just bi women and straight men that can be poly, right? Heaven forbid a straight woman who wants more than one penis in her life! What a whore!

<heavy sigh>

Actually its usually, in my reading, an aversion to straight men. All women are included :p

looks like it was a misunderstand. I re-read it..

I think the OP is refering to MONO and Straight (as a combo, not exclusionary) :)..

Sorry op.. my mistake

Okay, maybe it's the 100° weather where I am, but I'm finding your posts confusing.

I have also recently been doing alot of research on 2012 and have come to the conclusion that this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community.
. . . I am in no way promoting doomsday or *survival communes*, but rather am just hoping to find others who may be likeminded in my desire to evolve our culture a bit while still keeping an ear to the ground.
Thanks. I was surprised at the initial responses because I thought I was in left field, and was wondering what those with statuses of mono and straight have to do with poly as well.

Okay, so, here are my questions for you...

• What exactly does this research into 2012 entail? Is it all stuff on the internet? Wikipedia? Scholarly journals? Reading mythology?
  • What is it about 2012 that you are researching?
  • If you are not promoting a doomsday scenario or survival communes, what did you mean by "this might be the right time to seek out or create a *survival* community?"
  • What surprised you about the initial responses you received, and which ones, in particular?
  • Could you clarify your statement where you say you were wondering about mono and straight people being involved in poly?
  • How does this all relate to polyamory - since you posted in the "New to Polyamory" section?
Thanks. Not being argumentative here - just need to understand where you're coming from, and what you're looking for here. It's all rather convoluted thus far.

Last edited:
Back