Date Night Ideas

Amarna

I've been dating someone for about a month now but our schedules are so hard to work around, we basically have one night a week between work and family things that we can get together and that's 50% of the time after 9pm. We live in a pretty small town area and have done the late night at a local coffee shop, diner and even stargazing. He doesn't drink so bars are a no-go and neither of us really are big movie-goers. Any other ideas for places to go late at night?

It's a very new relationship so I'm not ready to have him in my home yet with my kids there and he's not ready to have me at his place yet either for similar reasons.

Hi Amarna. I read your intro thread and blog earlier, but didn't respond.

You're starting out slowly with Gamer rather than hopping right into bed. I know you want to build a relationship, based on things other than just sex. I see that your husband Mechanic has been a little insecure after agreeing to Open.

I was going to suggest getting a motel room with your new bf. I hear you don't have a lot of funds for dates. I also homeschooled my kids, so I get the limited budget other parents may not have.

I don't live in a small town so I don't know what to suggest for non sexual date nights. Here in MA we have lots of little clubs with live music. Maybe you're in Outer Boondocks, Maine, and don't have places like that within reach?

If you can't afford motel rooms, can Gamer foot the bill? I assume he also has kids and a wife and can't host you at his place?

Could you find an abandoned barn with a hayloft? ;)

Hi Amarna. I read your intro thread and blog earlier, but didn't respond.

You're starting out slowly with Gamer rather than hopping right into bed. I know you want to build a relationship, based on things other than just sex. I see that your husband Mechanic has been a little insecure after agreeing to Open.

I was going to suggest getting a motel room with your new bf. I hear you don't have a lot of funds for dates. I also homeschooled my kids, so I get the limited budget other parents may not have.

I don't live in a small town so I don't know what to suggest for non sexual date nights. Here in MA we have lots of little clubs with live music. Maybe you're in Outer Boondocks, Maine, and don't have places like that within reach?

If you can't afford motel rooms, can Gamer foot the bill? I assume he also has kids and a wife and can't host you at his place?

Could you find an abandoned barn with a hayloft? ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. :) Gamer doesn't have kids himself, but his wife is unable to work and can't leave the home much due to health reasons so he's going with her comfort level which I really respect.

We have had sex once and would like to again but it's a matter of time and location, lol. A motel room might be a good idea and something my husband actually suggested, he's gotten better with my dates as time goes on and is being fairly supportive recently, if we split cost it would probably be doable.

I've also found a walking trail that might work, seems to be accessible at night, we do a lot of long walks together right now and hiking so that might be an option too.

There's not too many clubs/live music places out here either, we live in upstate, NY in a pretty rural place so unless we want a dive bar (and Gamer doesn't drink so that's a rather uncomfortable atmosphere to be in at times) it's hard to find something like that.

I don't suppose there are any mini golf places that are open late? I can't think of many ideas given your restrictions.

Is early morning ever an option? If so, you could watch the sunrise over a thermos of coffee. Or, if you can get away early enough in the evening, watch the sunset. You could sit in a park and read a book together (a chapter or two per date). Or, you could do a throw-back date and do things like bowl, go to an arcade, roller skate, or play putt-putt. Geocaching or playing pokemon go together are some of the things my teens/young adults do on "cheap dates" and can be done almost any time/day. Blue and I sometimes just like to drive and talk.

ETA: Blue & I also use to play cards together in a diner or coffee shop...or work a crossword puzzle together. If you both do the grocery shopping, you could meet for coffee and shop together.

Last edited:
Is early morning ever an option? If so, you could watch the sunrise over a thermos of coffee. Or, if you can get away early enough in the evening, watch the sunset. You could sit in a park and read a book together (a chapter or two per date). Or, you could do a throw-back date and do things like bowl, go to an arcade, roller skate, or play putt-putt. Geocaching or playing pokemon go together are some of the things my teens/young adults do on "cheap dates" and can be done almost any time/day. Blue and I sometimes just like to drive and talk.

ETA: Blue & I also use to play cards together in a diner or coffee shop...or work a crossword puzzle together. If you both do the grocery shopping, you could meet for coffee and shop together.

Thanks PinkPig there are some great ideas in there!

I don't drink, and I have one and only one reason I like to hang out in dive bars (or most bars, unless a lot of friends will be socializing there)...

Pool.

If either/both of you enjoy shooting pool, that can be fun.

I like the idea of taking cards or even a board game to somewhere like a coffee shop.

And personally I love to sightsee in cemeteries. I know that isn't everybody's cup o' tea, but I find them often lovely and peaceful and the statues can be so beautiful, and I like looking at the headstones and feeling a sense of history.

I don't drink, and I have one and only one reason I like to hang out in dive bars (or most bars, unless a lot of friends will be socializing there)...

Pool.

If either/both of you enjoy shooting pool, that can be fun.

I like the idea of taking cards or even a board game to somewhere like a coffee shop.

And personally I love to sightsee in cemeteries. I know that isn't everybody's cup o' tea, but I find them often lovely and peaceful and the statues can be so beautiful, and I like looking at the headstones and feeling a sense of history.

Glad I'm not the only person with a fondness for cemeteries. I've always found them to be so peaceful, I love to walk through them when I get a chance. Thanks for another idea!

Glad I'm not the only person with a fondness for cemeteries. I've always found them to be so peaceful, I love to walk through them when I get a chance. Thanks for another idea!

To take that one step further, photography sessions in cemeteries can be fun, too. I haven't done this in a long time, but I remember it being cool and resulting in some really good pictures.

But I thought her dates were rather late at night. Cemeteries are closed at night, at least where I live.

My favorite cemetery is Mt Auburn in Cambridge MA. It was the nation's first garden style cemetery, 1830. It's all hills, up and down, and ponds and fountains and gothic Victorian monuments and statues and ornate iron railings, and huge old beech trees and flowering trees and bushes and flowers, and towers with views of Boston, and stone chapels, and even a huge Sphinx Civil War monument. There is wildlife from dragonflies to skunks to ducks to frogs to coyotes to albino squirrels. Many many famous people are buried there, religious figures, scientists, professors, politicians,The nicest part is, it's rather a secret. It's only crowded on Mother's Day.

But I thought her dates were rather late at night. Cemeteries are closed at night, at least where I live.

My favorite cemetery is Mt Auburn in Cambridge MA. It was the nation's first garden style cemetery, 1830. It's all hills, up and down, and ponds and fountains and gothic Victorian monuments and statues and ornate iron railings, and huge old beech trees and flowering trees and bushes and flowers, and towers with views of Boston, and stone chapels, and even a huge Sphinx Civil War monument. There is wildlife from dragonflies to skunks to ducks to frogs to coyotes to albino squirrels. Many many famous people are buried there, religious figures, scientists, professors, politicians,The nicest part is, it's rather a secret. It's only crowded on Mother's Day.

SNEAK IN.

I'm kidding.

Or am I?

That cemetery sounds AMAZING. I used to live in Cincinnati, OH and there were some really cool cemeteries there, too. I wish I could remember the names of them, but it's been too long...

Of course the answer of the day is to play Pokemon Go together. Pick somewhere to hang out or wander in, lay down some lures, and there ya go.

Leetah (who is not playing...yet)

Of course the answer of the day is to play Pokemon Go together. Pick somewhere to hang out or wander in, lay down some lures, and there ya go.

Leetah (who is not playing...yet)

We actually did some of that last night on our walk, lol. On his phone only because mine gets horrible internet but it was pretty fun.

I tend to not follow directions well as far as closing times, lol. Most of the parks around here are closed at dusk too but no one really cares, at least that's been my experience.

That sounds like a beautiful cemetary! I'll actually be visiting MA in a couple weeks, might need to make a side trip to check this place out.

I recommend Find a Grave whenever someone mentions cemeteries. People from all over request photos of headstones because they can't make it to the area. Check out both the website and the app, and then you have a great reason to roam - you're helping others and it's lots of fun. :)

I tend to not follow directions well as far as closing times, lol. Most of the parks around here are closed at dusk too but no one really cares, at least that's been my experience.

I guess that is the case with most cemeteries. Not this one though. It has high walls and a big iron gate (which looks Egyptian, since that was a rage in Napoleon's day).

That sounds like a beautiful cemetary! I'll actually be visiting MA in a couple weeks, might need to make a side trip to check this place out.

You won't be disappointed! There are maps in a kind of roofed place just inside the gate to the right when you come in. It's a big place, it's easy to get lost, so a map helps. You can also purchase a CD in the main building which takes you on a guided tour to the main points of interest as you drive around. I recommend driving around a bit to get your bearings, and then park anywhere and take a walk. Make sure you check out the tower for the sweeping views of Boston in the east, and the mountains to the west.

I've gone to cemeteries late at night, so I guess it depends on your locale and whether there are locked gates.

Amarna, can you drive to a nearby town that might have more things going on?

And maybe try going to the movies, if something's playing that you might consider - it's nice to be able to relax in a comfy seat holding hands in the dark.

Back