Polyamory Research Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a flaw in the design. The did a survey and it exceeded the parameters of the survey. It happens, they will redo it or redefine the group, such as a sample of non-monogamous relationship. When I came here, I was surprised by the different variations in relationships.

Hi again, everyone - we thank you again for the engagement on the board. While I'm not opposed to further conversation, we unfortunately don't have enough time to thoughtfully engage with each question on this particular board without coming across as "academics who don't really listen" or whatnot (after 100+ comments! I mean, throw us a bone here, lol). I sincerely do hope that in the end, you've seen our commitment to clarification and that we care a great deal about what we're doing. If there are disagreements, or critiques of the study, that is MORE that fine. In fact, that's part of the scientific method. We don't usually expect the peer review process to begin on message boards (haha!) but given that this is a not a "monogamous, heteronormative" etc. population, we understand, and you have given us some food for thought when writing up the limitations.

I will try to respond to further comments, for sure, I just won't be responding to comments that have already been addressed.

Thank you!

Also, the survey will be closing on Thursday, so now that our exclusion criteria have been cleared up so very carefully (LOL), feel free to take the survey if you are interested and you pass the screening questions.

Last edited:
Dagferi, I think I can speak for the other researchers here: Before we understood the scientific method and how to conduct psychological research, it seemed like we should be able to answer larger questions with one study, or more than just a couple questions with one study. We found, after years of education and experience, that to be able to answer a question, it had to be winnowed down to a simple, narrow, essential item. So it's offensive to you that we're not including non-hierarchical relationships who are not married in this study, and maybe it seems like we're being mean ogres who don't care about your personal experience, or worse, want to oppress you or obfuscate your life and relationships. That would be an unfortunate perception, and one that is completely wrong.

We are conducting this study because we *do* care. We're real people who are doing this work using our own resources, who would want to continue asking useful questions about non-monogamy, and it's been odd to receive such "browbeating" exclusively on this board. I'm curious about why only here? I realize that I'm now speaking to all the posters who seemed distressed and antagonistic.

You've made it clear that you aren't represented in the study, and you're right. We aren't studying your relationship, and that's ok. It doesn't make you bad or wrong. Just like all the other lives and relationships we aren't studying aren't bad or wrong. You're ok and your relationships are ok.

I'll reiterate my earlier post: As odd as it's been to stir up such distress on this board, it's ultimately been helpful in clarifying the limitations of our research. For that, I thank you. :)

I AM LEGALLY MARRIED TO BUTCH and have been FOR 14 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED to Murf for 3 years now. WE COULD NOT have a legal ceremony but stood before God, family and friends and made THE SAME DAMN COMMITMENT.

The only reason I am married legally to Butch is for health insurance, retirement (he is a state employee and only legal spouses are entitled to his pension if he were to die), and as protection against my family trying to seize assets if I were to die first.

Last edited:
I AM LEGALLY MARRIED TO BUTCH and have been FOR 14 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED to Murf for 3 years now. WE COULD NOT have a legal ceremony but stood before God, family and friends and made THE SAME DAMN COMMITMENT.

The only reason I am married legally to Butch is for health insurance, retirement (he is a state employee and only legal spouses are entitled to his pension if he were to die), and as protection against my family trying to seize assets if I were to die first.

AMEN! We hope someday you can have those same legal benefits with Murf too!

I'm a bit surprised about the debate. I am non-hierarchical with at least one committed relationship, so I took the test. I found the requirement clear: if at least one of your relationships is committed, you don't need to be legally married. If you're legally married, you don't need any of your relationships to be committed. I don't see how there is a contradiction of any sort. You can be in either group, or even both at the same time.

Now the survey itself is definitely dyad centered. It wasn't a problem for me because right now I'm in only one relationship and he also has only one partner, but I can see how it would have been a problem otherwise. Especially if you're legally married to someone but not committed to them, and committed to someone but not married to them. Then the questions become really hard to answer because you have no idea which partner is more representative and should be used to answer: the legally married one or the committed one, since the questions say either one? Which one takes precedence if you have (at least) one of each?

I don't understand all the fuss. I took the survey and had no problem with it. I am in a V, so maybe I shouldn't have qualified to take the survey? If I was the hinge of the V, maybe the survey would have pushed me into choosing just one of my partners?

I just didn't think it was that big of a deal, that's all. It's not a perfect survey and I don't expect it to be. Hopefully future surveys will be better. In the meantime I am hopeful that this survey will yield some useful information.

[shrug] If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Okay, everyone, I'm locking this thread because it seems some folks just want to pick a fight. We've asked for clarification on what the researchers want and they have responded. They have a very specific focus, and it cannot include everyone. All this arguing has really been really unnecessary, and has set a hostile tone.

All the most recent complaints have already been addressed. Just read through all the posts. If you want to take the survey, then go ahead. If you don't like its focus, don't take it. If you are screened out, then so be it. Move on. This forum is not here for arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back