A Note of Appreciation for the Forum

Al99

After my last post - just a brief welcome to one our newcomers - I happened to notice that my post counter was at 499. Just over a year from my first post, and about 14 months since the poly bomb first exploded in our happy home, I was one post away from the 500 landmark. And while I am not one to make a fuss over such things, I thought perhaps it would be an appropriate time to offer my appreciation to all those on this forum - both to those whom I have had conversations with as well as those whose posts I have read without comment. The presence of this forum, and those who participate on it, was undoubtedly the most important component in enabling my initial acceptance of the possibility of polyamory, and ultimately my transition to a poly mindset.

The quality of discussion on our forum has been noted by newcomers and veterans alike. I myself have actively participated in forums with subjects ranging from common hobby interests to esoteric philosophy - going all the way back to the early days of Compuserve and the heyday of the Usenet - and in terms of intelligent and meaningful discussion, this forum ranks among the very best of all those that I have participated in. The number of well considered and thoughtful posts that appear in response to those who post questions about poly issues is truly remarkable. Obviously a significant amount of time and effort goes into many of these responses.

I must confess that when I see the best poly resources on the Web referenced - which often justifiably include the "More Than Two" site and the "Poly Weekly" podcast - I always wonder why Polyamory.com is never listed among them. But I would guess this is most likely due to a skeptical view of forums in general - which, in fairness, is often justified. Fortunately for me, though, Google knew the way to our forum (although it still wasn't a top hit - it took a bit of work to finally come upon the forum - especially if not using the term "polyamory"). Still, it might be nice to see our forum receive a bit of the recognition it deserves - or, then again, perhaps not - maybe residence on a quiet little corner of the Internet is part of what makes the forum what it is.....

So again - my appreciation to all who participate here in support of the poly community, and especially those who offer their best advice to those who come here after a lifetime of monogamy - trying to make some sense of it all. Al

I actually specifically don't reference here on the broader web very often - I like the small / somewhat tight knit community aspect of it, as well as it being one of the few places I'm (semi) anonymous.

Hey there Al,

I'd just like to say that you, too, have been an important and valuable contributor to this forum. You have a way of calm, diplomacy, and understanding, that stands above the crowd. So I say thanks to you, for staying with us and continuing to read and post.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I've been recently fighting a battle with my conscience about recommending this forum in our (national) polyamory facebook group or not - pros: it's a great resource, cons: unfortunately, my nickname could be recognized, and I've written a lot of personal stuff here. In the end I added it to the FAQ (which is a bit better than me recommending it in a post of my own).
So maybe one of the reasons not to spread the fame is a bit personal at times :)

Since stumbling across this forum during a very difficult time in my "poly journey" mid last year, I have found it an invaluable resource as well as a well-governed, generally respectful place of discussion.

I appreciate the different perspectives offered by forum members, even if they don't necessarily mesh with my own views, and value the advice, challenging questions and personal anecdotes shared by experienced polyamorists.

Lately, however, I can't help but notice the forum seems to have been less active than usual, and that a number of newer members who write in asking for advice don't check back in after their OP. At first I thought this was due to the holidays, but we're well past the Christmas/New Year period now. I hope the forum's relative obscurity (re: google search) doesn't see it lose momentum over time.

...a number of newer members who write in asking for advice don't check back in after their OP.

This has been going on since I've been around - nothing new. You perhaps notice it now because you are more active in the discussions. It's an ongoing irritant.

My opinion of this forum? It's far and away the best source on the Internet for poly discussion and information. We have a solid core of intelligent, experienced and articulate members and nobody positions himself as an expert, which is the downfall of a few poly websites that are so often used as guides. I love this community. I love the spirited debates and I love that we don't purport to be a support community, but a discussion community. Perhaps if more people knew about us, we'd become a Yogi Berra-ism: "Nobody goes there - it's too crowded." I am happy when people find us and when solid contributors like Al decide to stick around, but I'm also glad that we're small enough to know one another and get a sense of each person over time. I don't remember how I found this place, but I'm awfully glad that I did. I doubt that I'd be in such a fulfilling poly situation now without my daily download of discussion from all of you.

Back