love

Thanks for the link.

Personally, "love" is a difficult concept for me. For years I didn't believe it existed - I am now convinced otherwise, but no less at a loss to define it. You can find so many writings on what love is/isn't - many don't resonate with me at all. I only know that I have experienced it.:D

When referring to love, people tend to switch between more general and various specific types of love with no notice other than a subtle change of context. This is one of the reasons why two people can read a passage about love and get two different things out of it. The word "love" is very subjective, probably even more subjective than the word "God."

There are , i think 3 different words for "love" in German, to describe the different ones. No wonder we get confused in English, one word for all three.

Actually, there is probably more then three. Maybe a lot more!

I'd say there's more shades of love than there are shades of color.

We know of at least five different ways that people express (and perceive) love, thanks to Gary Chapman's "The Five Love Languages."

No prob. :D

Chapman is a mainstream Christian minister and his writings do reflect some traditional values (e.g. monogamy). However, he doesn't go overboard with that, and overall I do recommend his book (The one I read is "The Five Love Languages: how to express heartfelt commitment to your mate").

The languages he identifies are:

• Words of Affirmation,
  • Quality Time,
  • Receiving Gifts,
  • Acts of Service,
  • Physical Touch.
It should be noted, "Physical Touch" covers much more than just sexual touch. Hugs, a pat on the back, a squeeze of the hand, these are all examples of that language as well.

Back