Huffpost Live

Worth noting is that there are two versions of the interview -- a short version, about four minutes, at the top of the article, and a long version, about 22 minutes, at the end of the article. They're both decent, but I found the 22-minute version the more worth the while of the two.

It's always encouraging to see a positive portrayal of polyamory (and other responsible non-monogamy), and this was definitely one of those portrayals. The interviewer was positive about it and the interviewees had great things to say.

I suppose the next step in the world's dialog about poly is to talk a lot more about how it affects the kids. I know of several poly families where the kids do/did just fine, but I also know of several poly families where things didn't go so well. It seems to be a growing concern on Polyamory.com at least.

So I think we need more dialog about how to make sure poly isn't bad for the kids. We shouldn't just assume that it'll automatically be good for them. There's got to be a few lists of do's and don'ts we can come up with.

I don't mean to get us all off-topic though. It's a good article and a good interview, well worth the time to watch it and even a good way to introduce newbies to responsible non-monogamy.

I agree that how it impacts the kids should be a much broader topic. I for one am always concerned that I am doing what is best for my own child above all else. I do know that so far she has had nothing but positives from my adding my boyfriend to our lives but he was a fixture in her life before he was my boyfriend. So that might be part of the reason why it has been so easy for her. She is also only a toddler so as far as she is concerned she now has another person to love her and give her attention, and ask for refills for her cup from lol! (Anyone want to guess what today's theme has been?) but I am always actively assessing how our actions impact her. I'm lucky that both of my guys are in totall agreement.

I decided that "the kids topic" was important enough to merit its own thread. To that end, I posted the following:

If anyone's interested, have a look at that new thread and see what you think.

Back