Pets

I'm super impressed that all your bunnies are living so long!What is your secret?!

Thanks! My first rabbit (we've had four) lived to be 14, so yeah, I tend to have long-lived bunnies. My "youngster" is already about 7. I just follow most of what the House Rabbit Society recommends. They always get unlimited hay, rationed amounts of timothy-hay based pellets, a salad every night, and not much for treats (a bit of carrot or fruit here and there.) I never let 'em get fat, I only bring 'em outside under supervision, and they get plenty of opportunity to spend time hopping around the house. I only take them to the vet if something is wrong, but if something is wrong, I don't hesitate to take them to the vet. Pretty basic stuff.

Also, ours is generally a quiet, low-stress home, no kids or dogs, not a lot of noise. Perfect for rabbits.

I've had every pet under the sun, so I'm at an all-time low right now. :)
I have two cats: Twinkie, who's 9 and who has owned me since she was a kitten, and Max, who is 3 months old and just joined my household a week ago. Both are shelter cats, and after a contentious couple of days, they're getting along very well.

IMG_0093.jpg

max.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

Had a cat, she wasn't friendly towards kids, so gone now.

At this stage, I don't have time for pets. Too many dang kids haha.. if I were to get a pet, a dog, in a heartbeat. I won't likely get a cat again. Even though I am a cat person

(I'm hoping that Lotus and TT will take him once their current dog - who is old and sick - is gone.)

Lotus and TT have had so many losses this year - now two dogs and a cat. Finding themselves dog-less they have asked to "trial" Fluffy Dog...this is his first night at their house! I am so excited, I think that he is a perfect fit for them (they deserve a physically healthy dog after fostering so many hospice pups!) and they are a perfect fit for him (he deserves to be loved as an "only dog" for a while).

In the past we (MrS and I) have had: cornsnake, ball python, collared lizards, iguana, ferret, rat, salamanders/newts and fish (gar, snakeheads, neons, etc.) in addition to our dog/cat.

Last edited:
This house has a Golden Retriever (er I mean Receiver :D ). He loves to get the tennis balls. . .there's just this issue with bringing them back.

At our "Others'" house (we're part of a quad) they have cat. I'm not so much a cat person but as far as cats go, he's an alright fur-guy.

Two cats here. Hoping to get a dog when we get a house of our own.

When we move into the house together this weekend we will have collectively 3 cats and a mini dog plus 3 adults and 5 kids.
Bruser is a 5 pound male short haired tan Miki who is 5 years old. I have had him since he was 10 weeks old and he's my little man. He follows me everywhere, goes with me just about everywhere and is my little snuggle bug.

Ozzy is my 7 month old short haired black domestic cat who I just got from a friend in December who found him in her yard with his mom and 5 brothers and sisters.

Moose is J and S's black short haired domestic cat. He is S's boy and he only snuggles and sleeps with her although he will allow the rest of us to pet him but only when he wants it. He wants to play with Squirrel but Squirrel won't have it. I'm looking forward to introducing Moose to Ozzy and I'm hoping they get along and become playmates because they both love to play and want playmates.

Squirrel was J's female tabby cat that he got when he his marriage ended. Squirrel can be finicky but seems to love me and having her belly rubbed.

Glad I'm not alone!!

We currently have 1 Boston Terrier, 1 Moluccan Cockatoo, 1 Goffins Cockatoo (both rescues), a Beta fish, an algae eater and 4 chickens here at home. We also board our leased horse at a local farm.

In another few weeks, our third is moving in (we're a committed Triad, I call her my "sister-wife" which just makes it easier with non-poly people) and bringing her Pitbull (total sweetie!) and 2 cats.

That's 3 adults, 1 10yo and 3 pets per person if you don't count the horse! I think we need to find a farm ASAP!

That's a lot of pets. :)

Never heard of an algae eater before. Is it some kind of fish?

That's a lot of pets. :)

Never heard of an algae eater before. Is it some kind of fish?

It's a ridiculous amount of pets! Hence the farm need, lol!

Yes, its a fish that eats algae off of the tanks sides or "structures", similar to Pleco's or catfish. His only source of food is algae, which our tank creates a lot of, sadly. The fish tank is a bust, and I'm thinking of finding him and the tank a new home, since the Beta doesn't like to swim in currents (he's very lazy).

Labyrinth fishes, which include bettas, live in slow moving low oxygen water bodies so they cannot handle currents.

Bettas in the wild are found in glorified mud puddles in Asia.

Labyrinth fishes, which include bettas, live in slow moving low oxygen water bodies so they cannot handle currents.

Bettas in the wild are found in glorified mud puddles in Asia.

Yeah, that's what all the research said but we saw Betta's in tanks. Both males and females and they were doing just fine. We had friends that had a Betta in a tank and it did fine. We've tried turning down the current on our filter and it was a no-go, so we'll just fix the issue and probably rehome the algae eater and tank to someone who has more time to deal with it, keeping the Betta in a bowl. That tank has been nothing but a PITA since we got it a year ago!

It occurred to me that it would be neat to have a "let's talk about our pets" thread, as someone just mentioned theirs in another thread here and don't we love our animal buddies? Sure we do! I'm not surprised to find that there's already such a thread. I am surprised not to see more pics of pets in here though.

So I'm gonna share a photo of my handsome little villain, Nimbus.

f6865e1c-4a42-46e7-a2b8-d98b7c419528_zpsctxgte74.jpg

I love how if I scratch the top of his head, he smiles at me. He closes his eyes and raises his head and it looks like he's smiling. I can see just the tips of his little fang teeth. It's adorable.

I do NOT love how he thinks that I should really wake up around 4:00 in the morning.

My current pet count.

3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 conure, 2 parakeets, and 2 guinea pigs...

Thank god I work in veterinary medicine and get a great discount.

We had to have our dog put down about 1½ years ago. Then about ½ year ago we got a second cat. So now we just have the two cats.

All they did was fight for the first few months. But things have improved. They're mostly friendly with each other, it's just that the younger cat doesn't know when to quit play fighting, and the older cat hisses.

I don't know how to post pictures but I'll try to post one as an attachment. The (gray) Russian blue is called Rainee (Rainee Day) and is the older cat, the crazy-colored younger cat is called Lady (Lady Gaga, for the crazy colors).

Attachments

• p160107b.jpg
    p160107b.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Spork.

So Fluffy Dog's "trial" at Lotus and TT's house worked out fine (although he took his own sweet time feeling comfortable eating there, expecially if anyone was watching - not sure why, he never had that trouble here - maybe because my beast would eat anything that wasn't nailed down!)

He has a new job as "foster" friend to the fur babies that Lotus fosters for the animal rescue. He is great with the cats and most of the pups (he is as non-aggressive as they come despite outweighing all of them) but he did get hurt by one of the dogs and Lotus felt bad because she didn't realise that he had gotten punctured and he just looked at her like "I can't/am not allowed to fight back and you didn't protect me:("

Even thought Lotus broke up with Dude/us we are still "friendly" and will board the dogs with each other when travelling. Not that my beast cares - she thinks that going the kennel or the vet is a grand adventure - then again she would hop in the car with a stranger and never look back:D - ROAD TRIP! She is such a "car-slut". (The ONLY time she barks, ever, is when a new vehicle pulls into the drive - I think she wants to be the mail-lady's dog and drive around all day.)

JaneQ
(chosen family = me, husband, boyfriend, dog, cat, snake - 1 house, 1 giant bed)

Last edited:
Somehow, I ended up with more reptiles than a woman living along should probably have. Eventually word got out that I like reptiles, and people started offering me their various lizards etc.

Now I have:
  • Ambilobe panther chameleon "Vladislav"
  • scheltopusik (European legless lizard) "Charlotte"
  • fire skinks "Gorbash" and "Gleep"
  • helmeted skinks "Fafnir" and "Firethroat", "Toothless" and "Temeraire" and their baby "Maur"
  • red eyed crocodile skinks "Scatha" and "Smaug" and their unhatched egg
  • an ungodly number of mourning geckos: they are parthenogenic, meaning all mourning geckos are female, and they reproduce like you cannot believe. I used to name them but I gave up.
  • betta fish "Queen Elizabeth I"
  • one insane cat "Zazzy"
  • three orphaned owlets, thanks to volunteering at the local wildlife rehab center.

Back