WPA2 vulnerability exposed

anamikanon

Belgian researchers have found that WPA2 encrypted WiFi can be compromised by a hacker within the proximity of the WiFi allowing WPA2 encrypted data not secured by further encryption to be compromised.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...curity-vulnerable-hacking-us-government-warns

This basically means that websites without ssl encryption can be snooped on. Including this site. Compromised information could include passwords, etc as well.

Given that a lot of users of this site are anonymous and could be at some risk if their anonymity were to be breached and given that WiFi is among the most common ways the internet is accessed AND given that people on the forum can often be in relationships with turmoil and in conflict with potentially snooping partners with access to the WiFi router, I think admins of this site should make adopting encryption (https) a priority.

"I think admins of this site should make adopting encryption a priority."

I hope they will. :(

This basically means that websites without ssl encryption can be snooped on. Including this site. Compromised information could include passwords, etc as well
Correction: Your WiFi can be snooped on, and if you're visiting a unsecured website the data you exchange with that website could be compromised. This vulnerability requires someone to be physically close enough to your router to join your network. It's not something that can be exploited remotely.

Correction: Your WiFi can be snooped on, and if you're visiting a unsecured website the data you exchange with that website could be compromised. This vulnerability requires someone to be physically close enough to your router to join your network. It's not something that can be exploited remotely.

I did say "compromised by a hacker within the proximity of the WiFi " no?

The first section—which I assumed was copied from the article—said that, but your follow-up commentary made it sound like once you visit an unencrypted site you computer gets hacked and all your data is out there for anyone to find. It's misleading. Unless people are using their banking passwords on this site as well I'm not sure what your concern is. What sort of compromise are you worried about?

Your assumption is incorrect. Feel free to read the link to check. The whole post was written by me and link pasted. I also later added "...potentially snooping partners with access to the WiFi router..."

Back