People who talk about How Much Things Cost

Public service

I can see this aspect where it is not the only part of a convo.

I remember my mother found a thrift store and we were doing something in the area so she took me in. This was in New Cannan CT and like a local Goodwill raising money for something like restoring an old historical building.

Turns out there is a guy in that town who is exactly, and I mean exactly to the same 1/2" difference in our right and left arms.

We found two blazers on Cashmere camel hair and the other a winter wool dark blue, then a Harris Tweed. And these are like $300-400 jacket back in the 60s
Now they are asking $1.50 for each like I a in not even see how they pay for the lights in this shop.

The Harris tweed had one thread in the shoulder pulled out (literally tucked it in with a darning needle.) so we get to the register and the lady says is every thing fine? My mother says, yes. They fit my son perfectly. And all I could find wrong was this Harris Tweed has this one thread pulled. "Oh, well then that one will be half price!"

Mom took a bunch of kids I knew who didn't have a bunch of money. The ruse was we were going to the circus, which we did, then we stopped at this store and shopped. Each kid got blazers, two suits, shoes, shirts, I think there were six kids and she spent like $50 total.

The parents were all you shouldn't have and she just said, oh Bozo got junk on his blazer and he needed another one. Then explained she had spent $50 for 6 kids. We ate more junk at the circus than spent at the store.

She had business cards for the store so all the mothers could know where to shop.

In those cases, it think it is not in poor taste, but I too was raised to think Talking about money and the price of things, is not in good taste.

Yes but what was the sex like

opposites attract, let me guess - the sex was amazing??

Last night I had one of the worst "dates" with a person I "met" online EVER. We met at a restaurant bar. She was an extremely well-heeled woman. I learned she and her husband have a house in New England and just bought a second home in the Keys. After a while, I began to notice her conversation circulated around How Much Things Cost: How much more expensive a ticket to St. Bart's cost in winter verses summer. How much she (over)pays her housekeeper. How a certain restaurant couldn't even cook her $40 piece of salmon correctly. While she was talking, I took out $20, my entire drinking budget for the evening, and paid for her martini without her even noticing. That is how badly I wished she'd stop worrying about money.

I encounter this style of conversation often (many of my husband's friends think money is a fascinating topic) and it drives me nuts. Is it supposed to impress me? Is this how a certain class of people in the U.S. get to know each other? Is honestly that some people find How Much Things Cost a fascinating topic? Clearly, I'm a bohemian type, they can see I'm dressed simply, no jewelry, they know I work offbeat jobs that aren't high-paying, everything about me says: not materialistic.

When a person talks a lot about How Much Things Cost, do you find it tedious? Or is just that some of us are overly sensitive because we live mostly paycheck to paycheck?

opposites attract, let me guess - the sex was amazing??

Haha! I admit I've given it some thought....she did talk me into a second date, though I haven't gone on it yet. I liked that she had the balls to ask me why I rejected her, and to admit, in the face of my rejection, that she really liked me anyway.

Back