Open Marriage Survey

Hello I am currently completing a study for my university sociology class about the polyamory/open marriage model, and why in this day and age it may lead to a healthier and happier relationship than monogamy. I have organized a survey and would appreciate as many perspectives as possible on the open marriage experience. Please know that this survey is 100% anonymous, and will not take any more than 5 minutes of your time. If you are interested click here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rRg...?usp=send_form

Thank you

Hello I am currently completing a study for my university sociology class about the polyamory/open marriage model, and why in this day and age it may lead to a healthier and happier relationship than monogamy. I have organized a survey and would appreciate as many perspectives as possible on the open marriage experience. Please know that this survey is 100% anonymous, and will not take any more than 5 minutes of your time. If you are interested click here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rRg...?usp=send_form

Thank you

I am generally happy to respond to anonymous surveys, BUT it seems a little rude to post your request in FOUR different areas of the forum. You could have 1.) asked which area would have been the most appropriate or 2.) posted in the one you felt was most relevant and waited to see the response before you chose to re-post elsewhere.

It would also help if you provided more information "university sociology class" is fairly generic. What university? For what purpose? How is the study set up? What is the control group? What is going to be done with the information? Will you come back and share the results with us? What preliminary research have you already done? Who are you and why should we trust you? etc.

Last edited:
I did, however, take the survey. It was mainly just demographic information. How long, how many, etc. There wasn't really anything that addressed the question of "why in this day and age it may lead to a healthier and happier relationship than monogamy"

It did not ask, for instance, whether people ID'd as open, poly, swinging, DADT etc. By "partner" I had to assume that the OP meant "marriage partner" i.e. spouse, since the survey was about "open marriage" and NOT "open relationships" - but when you ask a poly person the biological sex of their partner - it seems natural to ask "which one?". It also asked for "biological sex" but not gender-identity, which I found interesting ("in this day and age").

My guess is that this is just a random undergrad sociology assignment and not a serious research project. Ah, well, at least the idea of poly is out there in the world. I suppose the next generation of researchers has to get started somewhere.

Last edited:
I have deleted your duplicate posts. No need to bomb our boards with multiples of the same request.

Please know that most students that come here asking us to take a survey at least identify the name of their school, type of program/class, and purpose of the survey. Thanks.

Thank you

Your link is broken. :(

Hello. My name is Jocelyn Davidson and I am currently enrolled in a university sociology course. I have been in an open relationship for about a year now so I decided to compose a study on open marriages and why they may be a better solution to monogamy in this day and age. I have organized a survey, and would greatly appreciate as many responses as possible. Please know that this survey is 100% anonymous, and will not take more than five minutes of your time. Thank you very much.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rRg_5lg8hTB0k0Dl9lhx_-jElD95RpGYnZrOwNv-nVA/viewform?usp=send_form

Last edited:
Took your survey but there were so many assumptions - like, my spouse doesn't tell me about other partners because he doesn't have any others. That isn't an option, so it just looks like he withholds information.

You know, I was going to take it, then I realized you spammed the ENTIRE FORUM with it. Seriously, if you want me to take you seriously, bother to learn basic net (as well as forum-specific) etiquette.

Completed the survey. It was hard to answer some of your questions, as I do not practice hierarchical polyamory. I don't consider my partner Jack to be secondary. I wished there was more space for me to select "other" and provide an explanation, since the preselected answers weren't always fitting of my relationships.

Glad that more research is being conducted on open relationships!

Took your survey but there were so many assumptions - like, my spouse doesn't tell me about other partners because he doesn't have any others. That isn't an option, so it just looks like he withholds information.
Yeah, some questions also assume you've had previous relationships before the current one, but my current primary relationship is my first. And there's the assumption that other partners are all "secondary". But at least it's okay to skip questions.

It's a very basic survey and I doubt how much it can achieve. It doesn't even ask whether your relationship is sexually open or emotionally open or both.

I would love to respond to your survey but as I am not the legally married partner your questions lead me to believe my input is not wanted or needed.

Yeah, the very second question -- "what is the sex of your partner" automatically doesn't work for anyone who's in multiple relationships and doesn't consider one of them to be "THE" partner who's obviously the one to describe in any situation where a partner needs describing, which can absolutely be true for married poly people.

Not to mention that, as playfulgirl pointed out, your info is going to be incomplete at best and offensive at worst because it's designed to not include any input from the non-married partners in the relationships in question.

Hi Jocelyn,

I took your survey (as well as I could -- my partner and I aren't married), but I have to inform you that posting the survey invite on many boards is something you're not supposed to do. The invite should have just appeared on one board -- the Press and media board actually (ironically the one board where it isn't posted).

Consider PM'ing one of the mods -- http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showgroups.php -- and asking them to help you condense your many invites down to just one invite on one board.

Regards,
Kevin T.

Last edited:
The OP has the survey up and running again -- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rRg_5lg8hTB0k0Dl9lhx_-jElD95RpGYnZrOwNv-nVA/viewform?usp=send_form -- and has once again plastered many boards (but not the press/media board) with a fresh hail of invites.

@ OpenMarriageSurvey ... please PM one of the mods -- http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showgroups.php -- and ask them to help you condense your many invites down to just one invite on one board.

I did take the survey by the way -- as well as I could; my partner and I are not married to each other.

Hi Jocelyn,

I took your survey (as well as I could -- my partner and I aren't married), but like GreenAcres said, posting the survey invite on many boards is something you're not supposed to do. The invite should have just appeared on one board -- the Press and media board actually (ironically the one board where it isn't posted).

Consider PM'ing one of the mods -- http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showgroups.php -- and asking them to help you condense your many invites down to just one invite on one board.

Regards,
Kevin T.

Thank you all for answering my survey! I appreciate all the responses that I got. I apologize for the number of times I have posted, I am new to the site and am not really aware how it works. I am aware of the flaws in the survey as well, and want everyone to know that it is only the first step in the project to get very basic info. The next steps include interviews, studies, etc. I apologize to anyone who was bothered by my post, but very much appreciate those of you who answered it. You have helped me immensely.

Survey

Hi thank you all so much for filling the survey out to the best of your ability. I am aware there are certain biases, and assumptions and I apologize for that. The survey was designed more or less for married couples, but if you are in a committed partnership that happens to be polyamorous I would appreciate your input as well, simply answer as best you can. Please know this is only the first step in the project designed to get extremely basic info. The project will go on with interviews, studies, etc. as to prevent any further biases. I had a limited question number that I could not surpass, I would have loved to ask more questions regarding the issues that people have brought up. Thank you very much for your answer, and I apologize for any inconvenience or annoyance this might have caused.

Back