The Mormon Club!

Don't have time to read through everything here, but I want to so will later!
I don't post here very often, but like to lurk.
Anyway, I am an exmormon. I was born and raised in the mormon church, my family is all mormon, and I'm a descendant of polygamists.

I HATE polygamy and all it stands for in the mormon church. It was one of the things that helped to break my "shelf" so to speak (for non-mormons, that's where you toss all the things you don't understand or that sound weird or you think maybe you shouldn't believe, but you can't really deny them or then you'd have to deny the church and you can't do THAT!)

the fact that I am now in a poly relationship with a man and his other girlfriend, sort of a V, sort of a triangle, not really defined, but wonderful, has nothing to do with my mormon upbringing.

What the mormons and mormon fundies practice and believe is abhorrent and I would NEVER agree to it.

What I live is full of love and joy and friendship and incredible sex. And I love it.

Hi claire2, good to have you with us.

I sympathize with you about the extent of your opposition towards the church and its teachings. I can tell you I was mad as hell at the church when I finally made the fateful decision to get out. Jeezh, I remember one General Conference where some General Authority gave a talk entitled, "Honesty Isn't the Best Policy; It's the Only Policy," and made me feel guilty for cheating a little on my taxes. Then (years later) I find out the church (e.g. General Authorities) has been lying through its teeth about a ton of stuff right from the beginning!

I look at Mormon polygamy as a twisted caricature of what polyamory should be. And now the church has admitted that Joseph Smith did all that holy philandering that for a good century and a half the church denied. Wow what a shitstorm that has raised!

Enjoyed your post.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I left the Mormon Church at age 18. My resignation probably was the singlemost defining point of my life. In the ten years since, I've remained active in exmormon bulletin boards.

Hey, maybe you are on exmormon dot org or post mormon dot org? i am, and i use the same name.

And hi to all the fellow exmos here :)

This has been interesting reading!
I don't have anything to add right now, except one thing:
I THINK that my life-long conditioning that polygamy was right and will be practiced in the next life MIGHT have helped me to not recoil when I was approached with being in this trio that I'm in. Even though I hate mormon polygamy, somehow I felt a familiarity to this polyandry thing. And it just seemed natural.

Polyandry FTW (from one leg of an MFM V) :)

And my older brother is probably on one or both of those exmo sites; don't know what his handle would be though.

You got it. ;) And FTW = For The Win. (Picture a slam dunk in the last two seconds that wins the basketball game.) :D

I am only just reading this post now.
Hi Everyone. I am also an ex Mormon. I haven't got my name off the roster but that's because it would mean dealing with Mormon church again and I just don't want to. Perhaps I will in the future.

Anyway,
I came across the LDS faith on Ohio, when I was 9/10, and lived across from an RLDS church. Apparently my family line came from Emma Smith who left the Mormon church and started the RLDS church, erm, I think that's the basic premise anyway....I could be totally wrong with the Emma side. But there was a lot of polygamy stuff and I just didn't agree with the patriarchy more than anything. so it was doing genealogy research into Emma smith that really started me questioning polygamy.

I just kept thinking, why can't a woman have two men too? (At 15-18) then it became..why can't anyone have anyone in any configuration they like?

I also got approached by a Mormon man to be his secret second wife once. So yeah that was the clincher at 24/25 and after that...Mormon no more.

Also I'm bi and liked a girl in Mormonville HS, and that sorta helped me decide that perhaps I wasn't cut out for Mormonism because this wasn't approved of. So much less guilt now.
:p

Hi starlight1, welcome to our little thread. ;) I see you had some of the same questions that I did. Mormon polygamy, to me, is a really strange thing. Pulling cryptic stuff out of the Bible I guess ...

Back