Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 PM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 8,009
Default

Dear Meera, and anyone else who enjoys having FWBs, I would like an opinion.

I was contacted recently by someone on OKC who is in an open marriage. I asked him if there are any rules his wife and he have that would affect me. In his reply, he told me:
  • They don't have rules about what either one of them can say or do with others.

  • They do have rules about how frequently they can see their lovers, which amounts to approximately once every couple of weeks or so;

  • They don't allow each other to have overnight stays with anyone, but don't have restrictions on how late they can stay out (which kind of seems a bit of a contradiction to me);

  • They only see their lovers on weeknights, as weekends are reserved for each other and their family (they have kids at home); and

  • They consider themselves open, not poly, so they also try to limit any "emotional intensity" that could arise.
He told me that he is not interested in casual, meaningless sex, but he does not want to fall in love with anyone else. He basically said that, although he dislikes the term, a "friend with benefits" is really what he's looking for, and he described that as someone he genuinely likes as a person, with whom he enjoys conversing, spending time together, and having sex.

I don't exactly like that they try hard to keep deeper feelings at bay. However, possibly more annoying is the "no overnights" and "no weekends" rules. Yet, if I really take a look at what I want in my solo poly life and how much time I actually have to spend with any lover, the way in which he and his wife conduct their open marriage isn't completely far off from what I am okay with. I've never felt like having limited time with someone due to his familial obligations is necessarily a problem, as long as I am not ignored or shuffled aside, but my only requirement would be that his wife doesn't attempt to control my relationship with him.

I'm interested in meeting him to see if there is a spark. I feel that, as long as I have other lovers with whom I can enjoy a deeper connection, and I feel respected and valued in his life, I think that it could possibly work to be in this kind of FWB arrangement, but I would like some opinions to see if I am missing something. Thanks.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 03-28-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 PM
kdt26417's Avatar
kdt26417 kdt26417 is offline
Official Greeter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yelm, Washington
Posts: 7,532
Default

I would just ask for clarification on that one rule, "They don't allow each other to have overnight stays with anyone, but don't have restrictions on how late they can stay out."

And you'd have to be prepared to back out of the relationship if either of you started falling in love. Which isn't necessarily a deal breaker but for some people it might be.
__________________
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 AM
HappilyFallenAngel's Avatar
HappilyFallenAngel HappilyFallenAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
He told me that he is not interested in casual, meaningless sex, but he does not want to fall in love with anyone else. He basically said that, although he dislikes the term, a "friend with benefits" is really what he's looking for, and he described that as someone he genuinely likes as a person, with whom he enjoys conversing, spending time together, and having sex.
What this man is offering sounds exactly what you were expressing interest in when this thread began.

I have a FWB who I met on OKC last July and am really enjoying how easy and un-intense it is compared to a BF type of relationship. We don't have a rule about feelings, but I don't get the sense that either of us is going to "fall" into anything here. We just enjoy and let it go at that. I had never experienced a true FWB relationship until him and now I get what all of the fuss is about - I really like this kind of relationship.

You say it perfectly that, "as long as I have other lovers with whom I can enjoy a deeper connection, and I feel respected and valued in his life, I think that it could possibly work to be in this kind of FWB arrangement..." In my experience, when I feel respected and valued (not just by my FWB but by myself, as well) there is no lurking danger. I say - go forward, meet him, enjoy.
__________________
~ Karen

Last edited by HappilyFallenAngel; 03-29-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:27 AM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 8,009
Default

Thanks for the feedback so far. I do like a lot of things he wrote about in his profile and in his messages to me. He is very, very smart, which is always a turn-on for me, and good-looking, and he didn't hesitate in answering my questions, and I feel he was being forthright. I do think there is potential here for something enjoyable. And well, having a cocktail and conversation together is just a cocktail and conversation. I just haven't been interested in anyone on OKC in such a long time, but I think it could be worth an evening out to see if we click.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Cleo Cleo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

I don't exactly like that they try hard to keep deeper feelings at bay. However, possibly more annoying is the "no overnights" and "no weekends" rules. Yet, if I really take a look at what I want in my solo poly life and how much time I actually have to spend with any lover, the way in which he and his wife conduct their open marriage isn't completely far off from what I am okay with. I've never felt like having limited time with someone due to his familial obligations is necessarily a problem, as long as I am not ignored or shuffled aside, but my only requirement would be that his wife doesn't attempt to control my relationship with him.
For me there would be a difference between me saying "I only have time to see a new lover once every 2 weeks, so hey new lover if you are okay with that, let that be the schedule" and the fact that it is the rules of the marriage of new lover which dictates that I can only see new lover once every 2 weeks. The outcome is the same, but there is less room for change and renegotiation, because you are not just dealing with new lover but with his partner, too.

Other than that, my advice would be to just meet him, because in a real life conversation you will get a much better feel for how much he is his own person despite of the rules.
And if he starts complaining about his wife or about the rules, run as fast as you can
__________________
early forties, straight.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 AM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 8,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo View Post
For me there would be a difference between me saying "I only have time to see a new lover once every 2 weeks, so hey new lover if you are okay with that, let that be the schedule" and the fact that it is the rules of the marriage of new lover which dictates that I can only see new lover once every 2 weeks.
Yeah, you know, I kept thinking about this and really don't like the idea that it isn't about just availability and scheduling but that he and his wife have this as a rule to prevent any "intense" emotional connections from happening. Gosh, that's so fake. I wouldn't care if the reason I couldn't see someone very often was a demanding job or family stuff, but to limit time with a lover solely for the sake of limiting feelings? Nuh-uh, that is couple privilege. And it does amount to the wife having control over my relationship and I just would hate that.

And I played some scenarios in my head. Such as, what if deeper feelings did develop between us? He would either have to end it with me, hide how he feels from his wife, or try to avoid and deny what he feels and pretend it isn't happening. I don't like any of those options. And I wouldn't want to try and stuff down my feelings. Although I would want more casual parameters to my relationships, I wouldn't want those parameters based on fear. If I only wanted to keep him as just a fuck buddy, I probably would be okay with it, though. I just prefer friendship and affection to go along with the sex.

He does still hold a lot of appeal for me, so I might just meet him for a drink anyway. Nothing wrong with going out to meet someone cool and having a talk. I'd probably pose these questions to him, and see how he reacts. After all, I have boundaries, too, so it wouldn't just be about abiding by his. He'd have to abide by mine as well.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 04-03-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-05-2015, 06:11 AM
MightyMax MightyMax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 72
Default

Before now, I've had a similar rule for myself. The reason I had that rule was because as much as I desired an additional relationship, there were a lot of reasons that I probably shouldn't embark on one. Basically, I didn't have the energy to maintain another relationship and having one would ultimately add to the already stressful circumstances I was in at the time.

I saw limiting how often I saw a person as a way of ensuring things didn't move so fast that before I knew it I had another full-time partner to consider. Relationships do tend to do that when I'm involved. Or they did, I'm a bit more reserved now. Anyway, that rule was important to me at that time. I needed it. It wasn't a rule set as part of a coupleship I was already in but it undoubtedly did help maintain that relationship during a rough time. It was about limiting the feelings shared in other relationships, but it wasn't because anyone was jealous or insecure. It was what I needed and wanted at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-05-2015, 03:23 PM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 8,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
I saw limiting how often I saw a person as a way of ensuring things didn't move so fast that before I knew it I had another full-time partner to consider . . . It was about limiting the feelings shared in other relationships, but it wasn't because anyone was jealous or insecure. It was what I needed and wanted at the time.
Hi and thanks for the feedback. What you wrote makes sense to me. If one has a lot on their plate and needs to avoid over-committing themselves, sure, it makes sense to go at a pace that is manageable and to see someone at a frequency that won't add to the stress. In fact, that viewpoint does align with my own. I want my connections and liaisons to be lighthearted and easygoing, as well as full of hot sex! And I don't want any full-time partners.

In general, I don't really have the energy to see someone more than once or twice a week, if it is an emotionally invested relationship, and that would seem like a lot to me if it were regularly that frequent. I like to skip a week here and there, mix it up a little. I think that frequency would be easier to handle if it was a FWB who didn't stay the night every time we hooked up. "Fuck me and then go." If a pattern emerges where we see each other a lot, like twice or more a week, it becomes a challenge for me to not get all clingy and attached. I don't avoid loving someone, I just prefer not to cling on to them and become too dependent. My goals are always to love without attachment.

In this case, though, this man straight-up told me that he and his wife are avoiding intense emotions that might develop, and to avoid those messy feelings from coming up, they limit how often each of them can be with someone else, as well as having no overnights or weekends. I don't really like the sound of that, but like I said, I still think the parameters can work as long as I feel there isn't a third party trying to steer how my relationship is going. And as long as the sex is good and satisfying, and I have other lovers where I feel I can call the shots as much as they do. Besides, I really won't know if this is something that will work for me until I meet him and we talk a little more in-depth, face-to-face - but I am looking at him as a potential FWB.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 04-05-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Bluebird's Avatar
Bluebird Bluebird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 841
Default

Oooh! I'm excited for you. I hope you can talk through it and he works out!
__________________
Unapologetically Poly

Hinge in a poly-fi vee with two mono men
Wife to DarkKnight and PunkRockAwesomesauce

My Online Journal
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM
hislittlekitten hislittlekitten is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
Can you have a FWB that you are actually friends with? How do you make sure a FWB feels valued and cared for, even while both are clear that it will not progress to a relationship?
OK, monogamous female here dating a poly guy. This will be unpopular, but this is my unfiltered, honest perspective.

I struggle a lot with the man I'm dating not wanting to call me a "girlfriend." Treating me like everything a girlfriend is, but not being able to identify me like that. To him it means something specific. I'm mostly over it... I don't see the big deal over labels like that. But apparently he does.

When I first met him and learned his situation, I learned he had a "girlfriend" who is married and that the married woman's husband has a "girlfriend." He says he regrets using that language because really, I can't let go of the fact that he so comfortably called her his girlfriend. Yet he retracts it now.

I have not figured out how to have this kind of arrangement, where I am not something he can describe.

I find that it's the definitions that trip me up a lot. It's how people use these words, or how you think these words should be used. It's what people think of these words. Me, I don't see the words "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" as serious. I don't see the word "relationship" as serious; because what is it really, if you're close to someone and also sleep with them? How isn't that a relationship?

Just because you use the word "boyfriend" and "relationship," why can't it be to your own terms? I have never viewed "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" as possessive words. I have never viewed myself as being a possession of someone because he calls me his girlfriend, nor have I ever viewed a boyfriend as being a possession of mine because I call him my boyfriend. It means he receives the special attention I wish to give him.

I think it's hard to have this, difficult to have this. I think it's pretty difficult for the other person to understand what you want and to know how to conduct themselves. I don't know how to conduct myself in this place. I don't know how to handle the fact that I have feelings, and he is very significant to me, and he says I'm significant to him.... but what do I do with that? Why can't I shower him with the love and attention I would a boyfriend or a "significant other"?

It takes a very special person to be able to have the ability to deal with this. They should be open to poly, sure. But they also need to have incredibly strong relationship skills. Sounds counter-intuitive, right? I think that's the problem I have with my beau. He doesn't want serious relationships because he lacks the skills... but the kinds of relationships he pursues, especially in that they're multiple (poly), requires such strong skills that it is not possible to just float around in something that is sort of a relationship but isn't.
__________________
I'm in a zig-zag, as I like to call it:
In a relationship with Kit.
Kit is in a poly group as a partner to Letty, who is married to Trent.
Trent has a partner, Annie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casual relationships, casual sex, dating married people, friends, friends with benefits, lover-friends, lovers, non-committal, open relationships, sex

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.