Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Are there any bi guys here who have had little experience with women until, say, middle age (or around that) -- and then gone on to have a loverly partnership with a woman?

I've seen many stories here in these fora about bi women who had been almost exclusively with women (or men) until around midlife, but few examples of this from men.

Speak up, lurkers!

River's Blog
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM

I am interested in any stories or experiences by men too. River's right - there are plenty of discussions of women who were exclusively or predominately lesbian or straight and then became involved with men or women later on in life.

I think there is a perception that women are much more likely to be bi than men. And there is some surveys that back this up. Men are believed to be more rigid in their sexuality, so to speak. I don't know if this is actually true or if men have more to lose by expressing or having a more flexible sexuality and so are more likely to be closeted, or simply unaware of the range of possibilities. At any rate, looking forward to any thread replies!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
...I don't know if this is actually true or if men have more to lose by expressing or having a more flexible sexuality and so are more likely to be closeted...
It's this, of course. Male homosexuality was condemned in the Hebrew Bible. So was transgender (a man with crushed testicles or a "cut off penis" was not allowed in the Temple).

Men were allowed to have as many wives and concubines as they wished, of course.

There is no issue with what women do when they aren't having sex with their husband, as long as she doesn't fuck another guy. There is no condemnation of women fucking other women, because women are second (or third) class people, so who cares if they take pleasure with each other. All that matters is they don't get knocked up with another man's biological child.

There were however, male prostitutes (the word used is "holy ones") in the Jerusalem Temple, as well as male priests of the female goddesses in Canaan (Judah, Israel). These were called "dogs" by the Temple priests, and were finally forced out of the Temple and their sacred sex duties.

Of course, much of the late Hebrew Bible and all of the New Testament were influenced by the Graeco-Roman culture of the day, where male homosexuality was accepted. The dominant culture didn't need to focus on reproduction just to survive, whereas the struggling, basically enslaved Hebrews did.

And so... all that background filters down to our prevailing paradigm of lesbians being hot, while gay men are seen as weak and perverted.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37

Tags
bisexuality, gay, lesbian, lgbt, sexuality