any vegetarians here?

Sweetheart

Noticed in Mono's thread about missing normal that he mentioned poly vegetarians. Since I personally had not met any poly vegetarians aside from ourselves, I began to wonder how many there are around here!

The wife & kids are ovo-lacto vegetarians (they eat eggs & dairy products), while I am more of a vegan (although I admit to the occasional fling with cheese). :eek:

Anyone else?

yep! :)

I am a vegitarian and have been sing 2003 (wow 6yrs!!!) my Girlfriend eats a little meat but only when we go out and usualy just easts what ever I cook at home. My husband eats meat all the time and is actually the most picky of eaters between the three of us. :D (only eats about 10 different things and half those are sweets!) Nice to meet a fellow veggy! It is sure interesting at our house!

My partner who is poly, is vegan.

I dont eat meat, except for fish, which makes me a veggie kind of....but I dont think it really counts.

You are a "pescatarian". I used to follow the energy level eating practice - eating things lower on the energy scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_pyramid (which is dependent on how much natural or fossil fuel energy is requried for them to be farmed, harvested, whatever). Being a pescatarian is pretty good as far as that goes. BUT - check this out!!!

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

That webpage gives recommendations on which fish are best to eat, and which destroy our oceans.

I now eat meat regularly, but follow a strict diet that focuses on local farming, organic farming methods, and sustainability. So I still focus on the energy pyramid thing.

AND... this is totally legit. I am getting my PhD in ecology... I vouch for these concepts.

I'm not veggie now, but I was for several years in college, and I currently aim for 2-3 meat free days per week - both for health reasons and to be a little more environmentally responsible. Like redsirenn, I try to "focus on local farming, organic farming methods, and sustainability."

I tried being vegan for about 24 hours and rapidly discovered that I would starve to death without meat. LOL

I was pescatarian for a year (no dairy or eggs, but did do seafood).
But finances have been tight the last two months-so i've eaten what was available. Unfortunately it's a WHOLE lot cheaper here to eat meat and what I call "garbage" food then to eat a healthy vegan diet.

:(
It really bothers me. Maca noticed it was bugging me and commented the other day-he also noticed that it impacts my health dramatically. He never really believed me (he's a BIG meat eater) about the health issues-until he saw what started going downhill after I started eating dairy/meat again after a year of being REALLY careful AND very healthy).

I just hate living where I can't get healthy food for any sort of reasonable price-even for myself-much less the whole family.

I completely understand what you're talking about, LR. We have raised our kids to be vegetarians, so our food budget is entirely vegetarian. It does cost a lot to buy healthy food! Some of our meat-eating friends don't understand how this could be possible, but it's true!

We normally eat well, but during "tight times", we do eat a lot of pasta. On the positive side, I do make my own sauce! :D

I've been veggie for about 15 years now, vegan on and off for some time in there, the longest time was about 3 years. I may have to start putting fish back in my diet for health reasons, but I'm exploring other options first. My main model of eating is ethical and cruelty free. It's really difficult to sustain sometimes.

I feel like I don't put much thought into it any more. It just is how it is.

I have a very tiny food budget compared to people around me. I feel fortunate to live down the street from the food co-op that sells the things I eat in bulk, which makes it a lot cheaper. In the summer I like to graze on feral things that I walk by. Can't get any cheaper than free.

Last edited:
I completely understand what you're talking about, LR. We have raised our kids to be vegetarians, so our food budget is entirely vegetarian. It does cost a lot to buy healthy food! Some of our meat-eating friends don't understand how this could be possible, but it's true!

We normally eat well, but during "tight times", we do eat a lot of pasta. On the positive side, I do make my own sauce! :D

Yeah-I wish we could have a garden year round. We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii a few years ago and we ate almost completely vegetarian while we were there AND NONE OF THEM NOTICED IT. Because it wasn't expensive to get fresh fruit and veggies.
Here it's not just expensive, from October-April its damn near impossible to get decent produce. What we do get tends to taste like crap and be really expensive.
Of course we can get canned or frozen, but even that prices have gone up RIDICULOUSLY due to the raise in shipping costs. It really is ridiculous-especially considering we can get moose meat for damn near free.

I won't go into detail there, just gross everyone out.

mmmmmm, moose....drool.....feel free to gross me out....

You are funny. Alaska has a "roadkill" program. You get on the list and when a moose gets hit by a car the state troopers call the first name on the list to come get it. If you don't answer, they just keep moving down the list till someone does. You have 30 minutes to get to the scene of the accident. From their you can either take it home and process meat or do it right on hte side of hte road as long as you leave the... leavings-off the road at least 50 feet.

Yeah-grosses most people who aren't from around here out.

Course what grosses us out is going south and seeing rotting carcasses on the side of the highways and interstates alongside signs of "donate to your food bank blah blah".

Even if I promote that a healthy diet does not include meat, there are plenty of people who prefer to eat meat anyway-that if they would feed them with the meat that practically walks up and says "I'm done living use me" it would safe a lot of money, time and efffort.

You are funny. Alaska has a "roadkill" program. You get on the list and when a moose gets hit by a car the state troopers call the first name on the list to come get it. If you don't answer, they just keep moving down the list till someone does. .

Add me to that list please :D

I have reduced eating meats since meeting Redpepper. I like vegetarian food and generally eat it when I am with them..even at restaurants. I eat very restrictively anyways..for purpose, not pleasure.

But I still want on that list!!

I grew up in northern Canada where we took two weeks off school to go hunting. Went fishing all summer. Having british parents who knew nothing of such barbaric acts was novel in my town ;) I never did taste bear, dear or moose meat. Its ashame really as I probably never will. I lived amongst a lot of Native Canadian kids whos families taught me about respecting nature and honouring the great spirit and our earth mother.

My vegitarianism started when I went to live with relatives in Wales for a couple of years and my animal activist aunt taught me how the meat industry worked. I was absolutely HORRIFIED! I still am, it leaves me cold. I couldn't partake in it any longer and that was it, 25 years later and I raise my boy veggie and have a husband who turned veggie (we had a deal, he would become an at home vegetarian if I quit smoking. We did both. He doesn't eat meat at all now),and a boyfriend that at least respects our choice and has tried our food for himself.

I find it interesting that my boy panics when he is given meat look a like foods. Even he has been taught why we don't eat meat. He once had his daycare assistant call me up and ask if it was okay that he went to McDonald's with his friends for ice cream. He refused to go without checking with me first as I tell him about their marketing schemes and the way they get their meat. A little education goes a long way. Of course I let him go to see for himself and so he would be included with his friends. I was so proud!

Now I include wild salmon in my diet every now and then as I developed some thyroid issues without the iodine in my diet.
Food here is also expensive but we like to buy quality rather than quantity. I learned that from my french sister-in-law. She buys little bits of good quality food and eats very little. No costco shops for her. Buying in bulk makes one eat in bulk. It has totally worked for me and has helped me lose 60 from when I ate in bulk before. The other trick is to cook in bulk I think. The cost is far less and its a fun thing to do with my loves :)

We have a garden and can grow all year round. We have in the past, but I have grown lazy since having a child. Is that lazy? I'm getting back into it again though and planted a garden this year. Not much came of it, but it will take time to get on it again. I have to get everyone invovled more for it to work. Make it a family effort. (hear that Mono? ;))

My big thing the last view years is to not eat msg. Its disguised in everything. Also eating companion foods is important to me. Eating raw and local also.

We have had an organic box delivered now for 10 years, the husband and I. We like that its all local vegetables. We can design the box as we want with coffee, milk, grains, even chocolate and much more. It is cheaper than buying in the store and delivered. We get eggs from the farm down the road from where I work and go to farmer markets whenever possible.

I am lucky, I can do all those things in working hours. I have it all down to a fine art at this point. I know what is in just about every store in the city.

It helps that we live in a progressive city where concern for environment, health and well being are a big deal. There is no small reason that this is home for me.

Yeah, RP, our kids are pretty savvy about McDonald's, as well as commercials & marketing. They are automatically wary of cereals that are bright colors or show cartoon characters on the box.

We do as much gardening as we can. Our goal is to live off our garden. We have friends who do it, but their garden is HUGE.

We are very lucky to get free produce from our local farmers market. Actually, it's more like a trade, but it seems like free to us! We're always trying to give produce away because there's just more than we can eat, and we often fill the fridge, freezer and garage. Now that's prosperity!

:rolleyes:

Back