Baking with "found" food

Helo

First, a little backstory. I tend to be a bit of a scrounger with almost everything, a modern hunter-gatherer if you will. I tend to stumble across a wide assortment of everything that usually gets used or passed on to someone else. Food is in that category, a skill developed out of a very low grocery budget and the need to feed a guy burning in excess of 4,000 calories a day.

One of my latest finds is several bags of wheat flour. Now, I'm a good cook, nay a really fucking good cook, but a crap baker. Apparently all the instincts I've honed for being good at cooking with no recipe are exactly the opposite of what I need to be even functional at baking. I borked a lavosh recipe for crying out loud.

So, that said, what the hell can I do with three pounds of wheat flour!? I want to use at least some of it but I have not even the faintest idea of what to do such that it can be eaten. I have a minimal amount of other ingredients to work with and not a huge budget for more.

I was looking at tortilla recipes but for some reason they call for regular AND wheat flour. My gut says to ignore the "other" flour and just use the wheat but as my wonderful ladyfriend Shell has pointed out, bread wont rise when I'm around out of sheer terror so perhaps my gut, well-attuned to matters of cooking as it is, is just not suited for making baking calls.

Any ideas?

No ideas.

The reason you found all that flour is because someone else threw it out because they realized that you can't make anything with it that tastes good. Wheat flour sucks.

Mmmm

Homemade cheese sauce actually thickens better with wheat flour then regulate flour. And gravies too!

Regular flour is wheat flower. Is "wheat flour" what Americans call that which Canadians call "whole wheat flour?"

Pancakes. Everyone can make pancakes. They have a lot of give and take. Even when you mess them up, they're still pretty good. Butter and sugar make everything better.

Last edited:
Flour to flowers

LOL, leave it to Canada to argue semantics lol
Yes, "regular flour" here is the starchy white all-purpose mess. Whole grain or whole wheat flour is considered "wheat flour".

Recipe.....

WHOLE WHEAT APPLESAUCE CAKE OR MUFFINS
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. granulated brown sugar
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. unsifted whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

Oil and flour an 8" round or square baking pan or muffin tins or use cupcake papers.

Cream the oil and sugar together and mix in the applesauce and baking soda. Add flour and cinnamon, blending thoroughly.

Pour the batter into pan or muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes for an 8" cake, about 20 minutes for cupcakes.

Just Me,
Tim

Wish I could help, but I just found out I'm allergic to wheat. I'm trying to learn to bake and cook w/ every other type of flour on the face of the planet. Good luck!

those are great recipes on paper, but the OP is talking about the brown crap flour that tastes like stale cardboard no matter how nmuch butter and sugar you waste mixing in to it. it's the same stuff regardless of how many Canadians want to split hairs about it.

it might be good for paper-maché. maybe some school could use it for their arts-and-crafts projects.

It would be terrible for papier maché. That stuff needs white starchy flour...

The muffins will be fine. Holy crap, whole wheat flour isn't like sand or something. Its what while wheat bread is made from. It's fine for baking, but it usually needs more mixing and kneading to get to the right consistency. But that does require some baking skill, which the OP denies having... So cakes and muffins are great because they're easy.

What about play doh? Or homemade moulding clay?

I ended up making basic bannock bread and took it into work.

People toss the most bizarre things.

Mmm bannock! I wonder if it could also be good for naan

Back