I feel like most Asians don't understand or don't know what polyamory is

AnonymouslyShy

I don't know if this is just me or not but it seems that Thailand (and maybe some other countries in the Asia catagory I'm not sure) are not aware of or really secretive about who they are. In alot of dating site and in this forum I see alot of inactivity when the topic does arrive for thais in comparison to even our neighboring countries. It's quite troubling to know that people are afraid to show who they really are, or maybe I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Opinions?

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
Hi P,

I don't know many Asians, much less Asians with whom I have talked about polygamy, so I don't have a solid take on how well polygamy is generally understood in Asia. From what you're saying, I guess polygamy is particularly poorly understood (and not talked about) in Thailand. And maybe there are some people who are polygamous inside, but don't realize it? I don't know.

By the way, when you say polygamy, do you mean polyamory? Do you understand the difference between the two words?

Regards,
Kevin T.

AnonymouslyShy

That's a typo sorry. Thank u for pointing that out, I'll go ahead and change it. I think my understanding is correct then again it's very surface level. Polyamory is loving more than 1 person while polygamy means having more than 1 wife/husband. Again it's very surface level, feel free to add on or correct anything.

Thank you,
P

Last edited:

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
No, I think you've got it right. There's actually some overlap between the two terms because even in the United States, where polygamy is illegal, some people consider themselves polygamous because they're "unofficially" married. My two V companions and I consider ourselves polyamorous, but we could say polygamous (polyandrous) because the two men are unofficially married to "our wife."