I'm in over my head.

Freetime

So here I am. 47, married 20 yrs and helping my wife find a boyfriend. Why? Well it's simple really. She wants one, and as I'm her Husband and friend not her owner, I'll do what I can. However I'm pretty certain this is it for our marriage, the old adage of "If you love something set it free" is entirely appropriate here, but free for her and for me are not the same thing.

My wife has found someone 34, who fits the bill and will be meeting with him tonight to possibly have sex and discuss having an ongoing relationship.

She's excited about him, describes him as Intelligent, sexy, interesting. She is in a near constant state of sexual arousal which I've enjoyed immensely but am also aware that she's not feeling this for me but for another man.

And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the rub. Her Emotional excitement, willingness to experiment and joyfulness is focused on and about someone other then me. I'm glad for her. Happy to see her like this but damn near close to tears that it is no longer me.

If I asked her to not go further, she would stop. I know this. But I do not want to be the guy who stopped her from living the life she wants to live, it would only end the marriage on a bad note anyway, so it's time.

I'm trying to find a way to accept this poly lifestyle but am Struggling as you can see. So many things she doesn't see and so many things I do.

Help and advice appreciated.

I feel for you man, I really do. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Talking helps a lot. Try and talk through why you are feeling the way you do. If you talk enough, you start getting down through the layers, and hopefully to the base reason.

I wish I had a good fix for you, but I'm still feeling a lot of the same things you are. A lot of what she is feeling is called New Relationship Energy (NRE). It's a hard stage to go through, because of the fact that it's somebody else that is making her happy. For Jen and I, it brought a very deep level of communication, and we have been very close since then.

Have you met the guy yet? I would suggest maybe meeting him first before they start a relationship. That way at least you will know who it is and everything.

And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the rub. Her Emotional excitement, willingness to experiment and joyfulness is focused on and about someone other then me. I'm glad for her. Happy to see her like this but damn near close to tears that it is no longer me.

When my VLTB (very long term boyfriend [almost 15 years]) and I had our first brush with polyamory, the result was opposite to what most folks would expect. He and I became closer. And I mean more intimate, more loving, more joyful... with one another. He had fallen in love with another guy, and I let him know that that was a Good Thing, and that I wasn't afraid of it at all. This was something I welcomed. That relationship was brief, as was my own first brush, but we learned and grew in it.

What I don't know is why this sort of magic isn't happening with you and your gal. Why isn't the crocus blooming in all of the spring hearts involved here? And the only way to begin to examine that question is to do so. So more of the story needs telling.

That being said, a lot of us mere humans get very excited about NOVELTY. We're perhaps wired for it -- I don't know. But I must admit to being the sort of guy who doesn't have the same drink each day and sit in the same chair in the same cafe.... I'd die of boredom! Give me a drink I've never had before, and if it's tasty, I'll light up. I'll get excited. Same goes for new kisses! I love them! I'm human.

Some people, though, do happily walk into the same cafe every morning and they are automatically brought their familiar, routine cappacino. They sit in the same chair and face the same direction and talk with the same people.... And they're HAPPY about it.

Myself? I need BOTH. I need routine, the comfort and security of the familiar..., all of that. My partner Kevin is ALWAYS there for (and usually--physically--with) me. It's not always terribly exciting, since there isn't a lot of novelty, but I love him. On the other hand, last time I had a pretty exciting time with yet another guy, that guy wasn't there for me.
He only seemed to be there, for a while. Long enough that I got more attached than was good for me. Kevin was there for me through those tears.

He was there.

Is she aware that you think your marriage is over? You might want to tell her that. I would be really up set if my husband kept that from me because I don't feel that way. I would want to know how to make him believe it isn't and then do those things. This is what I did when I met my boyfriend. My husband was very honest about how he felt and I did everyhting I could to make sure he knew I loved him. Its a two way thing, not one way. If you are determined she be happy, do you not think she would want that for you? Start setting up your boundaries with her, negotiate. She doesn't get to have it all her way. You are still married and if she really is poly, she loves you just as much as she always has. Don't set het up with your assumptions. Noit fair! Tell her and talk it all through.

Is she aware that you think your marriage is over? You might want to tell her that. I would be really up set if my husband kept that from me because I don't feel that way. I would want to know how to make him believe it isn't and then do those things. This is what I did when I met my boyfriend. My husband was very honest about how he felt and I did everyhting I could to make sure he knew I loved him. Its a two way thing, not one way. If you are determined she be happy, do you not think she would want that for you? Start setting up your boundaries with her, negotiate. She doesn't get to have it all her way. You are still married and if she really is poly, she loves you just as much as she always has. Don't set het up with your assumptions. Noit fair! Tell her and talk it all through.

Excellent points and fair questions. No, she does not. I've just come to that realization.

I have had time to look at this from a different perspective and believe this is happening because of a number of factors.

1) I'm not what she needs or wants in a partner for her to feel fulfilled, and that she is afraid to discuss her unhappiness about the current state of our relationship.

2) Distance and emotional dishonesty on my part kept me willfully ignorant of what was happening. Ok that's not true I could see and feel the spiritual distance but didn't know what to do to address it. I've lived a very small life in the last couple of years because of a Back injury, but mostly because of my uneasiness with how things stood between us. This has only made the low level dissatisfaction worse for her, for us.

3) To be truly "poly" both parties must agree to be in this, but that agreement must come without fear of loss or rejection if the other says no thank you. And that is where I am right now. I've agreed and gone along with it because I instinctively knew the real reason for this taking place.

4) We all want to be with someone who we can be proud of, someone we can talk about with our friends and family and say: Wow! look at what they did or have accomplished" and I have failed in that. Completely my fault. My lack of direction and living in fear of loss or failure have created this perfect storm moment. When we met I was a free spirit, afraid of nothing and willing to try just about anything, but over the years I have become.......lost and forgotten with little Idea of how to get that man back. My wife simply wants that feeling and opportunity again, as any of us would. so the least that I can do to try to end this on a high note for her. I hope her date tonight rocks her world, but I have no illusions as to the final outcome. Her "date" is what I used to be, only younger and still building an interesting life.

5) We hide the real reasons for this behind the story of "Try something new, Shared adventure, Naughty exciting" when what it really is, is a way of breaking up without having to address the true problem(s). My wife is a loving strongwilled person but she has just as much difficulty discussing or addressing issues that may hurt the other, or in this case me. her dissatisfaction has been evident for some time but neither of us has wanted to "dive in: and deal, Ya know?

I'm still open.......a wee bit, that this may be a good thing for both of us but until the other stuff is sorted out this haze of uncertainty and fear remain.

I appreciate your candor and willingness to help out. Your Questions and opinions give me alot to think about and look at. if you think I'm off course here by all means let me know.

Last edited:
Freetime,

While it MAY be true that time for parting is near, I think you'd be doing yourself and her a disservice if you both didn't take some significant risks in exposing yourselves to one another in talking about all the stuff you've not been talking about. You may find that there is much more love between you than either of you realize. Find out!

My wife has found someone 34, who fits the bill and will be meeting with him tonight to possibly have sex and discuss having an ongoing relationship.

Um, why "possibly have sex?" Why not just have coffee together first? If you think this will hurt your marriage so much, why move so fast? Do you want to explore polyamory or swinging? If it's polyamory, you can slow down a little. She doesn't need to jump right into balling a strange guy!

Freetime, I suggest you look for posts and threads by a member here called Vodkafan. He is monogamous and his wife is polyamorous and has another male partner. You will see how they have made poly really work for them very well. In the "Struggling Mono" thread Vodkafan said, "The fact is that I did this because my wife is worth sharing. I would not do it for anyone else."

Um, why "possibly have sex?" Why not just have coffee together first? If you think this will hurt your marriage so much, why move so fast? Do you want to explore polyamory or swinging? If it's polyamory, you can slow down a little. She doesn't need to jump right into balling a strange guy!

Freetime, I suggest you look for posts and threads by a member here called Vodkafan. He is monogamous and his wife is polyamorous and has another male partner. You will see how they have made poly really work for them very well. In the "Struggling Mono" thread Vodkafan said, "The fact is that I did this because my wife is worth sharing. I would not do it for anyone else."

Funny you should mention the swinging thing. When this first got started it was around the fantasy of a 3some, try something new and adventurous.However, it soon came about that my wife had a different idea, that idea being a long term relationship with another man. Wee bit of a difference there I'd say. And as to why have sex? Well that's not a for sure thing, but if the opportunity is there, hey why not? Once again I'm the husband not the owner. her choices are hers.

I will indeed read Vodkafans thread/post. I absolutely agree with him, my wife is worth it. I just don't like it.

Question do I bring up my feelings before or after her date? If I do so beforehand it seems like I'm trying to control her/ stop here from doing what she wants. Truthfully I'm so emotionally challenged right now i have no idea what to do.

Before!

Look, it's obvious you're a nice guy and trying to be as giving as possible. But there's a guideline in poly to go as slowly as the person who is most uncomfortable needs. It's not a rule, but you'll see lots of reference to it in these threads. It's not about controlling her, it's about mutual respect. She can slow it down as a way to respect your discomfort. Some people need to just be okay with their spouse just holding hands with someone else first. That guy's (or another's) penis will still be there when the two of you have gotten more comfortable with the whole idea. Why put up with something that has you so upset and then wait til afterward to tell her?

You said in your first post in this thread that you are happy to see her happy but that "damn near close to tears that it is no longer me." The fact that you think it is either another man or you that would make her happy, and not having two people who could potentially make her happy equally, tells me you have some issues to resolve before diving in. Poly makes it possible to love and be satisfied with more than one person, not choosing one at the expense of the other!

Unless you two are just after sex and swinging with no emotions involved, slow down! There's nothing wrong with casual sex in my opinion, but it doesn't seem like you're ready for inviting that as an element in your marriage yet. Polyamory requires thought and respectfulness for all involved, not just deferring or submitting to one person's will in the relationship. You're not her owner, but you are her partner!

Why not invite her here to post as well? Would be good to get both sides here.

What she (nycindie) said.

Good words.

2) Distance and emotional dishonesty on my part kept me willfully ignorant of what was happening. Ok that's not true I could see and feel the spiritual distance but didn't know what to do to address it. I've lived a very small life in the last couple of years because of a Back injury, but mostly because of my uneasiness with how things stood between us. This has only made the low level dissatisfaction worse for her, for us.

4) ........ My lack of direction and living in fear of loss or failure have created this perfect storm moment. When we met I was a free spirit, afraid of nothing and willing to try just about anything, but over the years I have become.......lost and forgotten with little Idea of how to get that man back. My wife simply wants that feeling and opportunity again, as any of us would. so the least that I can do to try to end this on a high note for her. I hope her date tonight rocks her world, but I have no illusions as to the final outcome. Her "date" is what I used to be, only younger and still building an interesting life.
You've got some work to do... start talking. Tell her just what you said here... you have been scared, don't know how to approach your disconnect... all that... remember, she loved who you were when you met and loves who you have become. This man is a representation of what you were, but you are a lovable result of who you once were. That is cherished by her. Talk to her! Before she goes out!

Hi Freetime,

You are feeling pretty low right now I can tell. I felt pretty hopeless at the beginning too but now 8 months in and my marriage is better than ever.
I am not self-delusional, it really is better.
My wife has told me many times that she wants to grow old with me, she never wants us to split up.
I feel more valued than ever before and we both feel the marriage is alive and secure. So much so that I have a hard time finding smething to write about on here lately.
The first two months were a bitch but we kept on working at it and removing every obstacle one by one.
Don't give up.

OK......

....So......I did what you suggested. I went and talked to her at length about how I feel and what I thought this was all about, dissatisfaction with me, her excitement of a younger man etc. I discussed without censoring or pretending to like this idea exactly how I felt and of my fear of loss. We had one of the best nights we've had in years. We went on a date and continued to talk well into the night. The truth is I was and have been flat out wrong. I've been projecting my own fears onto her and this situation without actually talking to her. I'm feeling pretty damn dumb right now, She listened and understood the concerns I brought forward, and we're working together to overcome the things that currently exist and get in the way of this experience. My reaction was just flat out panic, panic based on old tapes of life experience and past relationships where lying and betrayal were the norm. I have stuff to work on it seems.

I mind my own business and keep my own council, but it's clear I need to start talking about what's really going on (with her) and stop acting like a.....frightened pissed off child.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the council and direction from those here. I'm going to hang around if that's Ok, and continue to learn and study how this works. My wife is now aware that I'm posting here about this and may in fact stop by.

nycindie, redpepper, River, beodude123, and vodkafan thanks for taking the time to stop by and offer both advice and a gentle boot to the ass to get talking about this. What a difference a day makes.

P.S. her date never happened, we went out instead.

Later folks.

Freetime.

....So......I did what you suggested. I went and talked to her at length about how I feel and what I thought this was all about, dissatisfaction with me, her excitement of a younger man etc. I discussed without censoring or pretending to like this idea exactly how I felt and of my fear of loss. We had one of the best nights we've had in years. We went on a date and continued to talk well into the night. The truth is I was and have been flat out wrong. I've been projecting my own fears onto her and this situation without actually talking to her. I'm feeling pretty damn dumb right now, She listened and understood the concerns I brought forward, and we're working together to overcome the things that currently exist and get in the way of this experience. My reaction was just flat out panic, panic based on old tapes of life experience and past relationships where lying and betrayal were the norm. I have stuff to work on it seems.
And people wonder why we keep harping on communication!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously this is awesome stuff. I've run into this several times, with my wife, lovers, life long friends, and of course I've done it myself. It's sooo easy to get oneself spun up on imaginary conversations to the point of making the actual conversation moot.

The real conversation is never moot! They're not always fun, or smooth, but I think mine have always provided a better result in the end than leaving things up to speculation.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the council and direction from those here. I'm going to hang around if that's Ok, and continue to learn and study how this works. My wife is now aware that I'm posting here about this and may in fact stop by.
Totally ok. Always good to see another homeboy in the corral. Giddy up.

nycindie, redpepper, River, beodude123, and vodkafan thanks for taking the time to stop by and offer both advice and a gentle boot to the ass to get talking about this. What a difference a day makes.
They rawk don't they.

Welcome, Freetime!
I can really relate to a lot of your situation -- my husband is a lot like you. He has had so many of the same feelings. One thing we are working on is the co-dependant nature of our relationship, and how unhealthy it had become. My husband has also narrowed his life down over the years. He counted on me, so much, to be the social director and the one growing and learning, while he just went to work and came home. We realize now that he needs to work on HIM. I'm starting to wonder if my relationship with another man came from a fear of being swallowed up by my husband's neediness. He is now working on his own life and becoming more of a fully-alive human being. We are still living in the same house and actually sharing a bed, but we are "separated" in the sense that we are both free (and encouraged!) to develop outside relationships. I believe it is the non-sexual, platonic relationships that will develop for both of us that will make the biggest difference.

Ironically enough, my boyfriend has really taken a lower priority for me now that I am free to do as I please. I am really guarding myself from jumping into yet another co-dependant relationship. It is very empowering! He has become more of a teacher, for me, than just a wild romantic infatuation. Our friendship has deepened and I realize it is not just about sexual attraction; it is also about the things in him that I admire that I want to develop in myself. Wow -- who knew ;)

While I hate the old cliche, "mid-life crisis," my husband does feel that women go through a big shift in their 40's -- I know I am particularly working on my issues of independence and balance. I had children young (I have 6) and I feel like I've never had time just for ME. So he is very understanding. It sounds like you are also a very understanding, caring man who loves his wife very much. Do her a favor and give her the BEST gift you could ever, ever give her -- the BEST you, the REAL you. Find him again! It's a great place to put your efforts, after working on a troubled marriage and all the stress that comes along with that. She may see you growing and changing, and become curious and admiring -- BUT, that is only a by-product. :) Good luck, I'm routing for you guys!!!

This is good news Freetime, I am very glad.
Also happy that you are sticking around. Although everybody's experience is slightly different, a lot of the same issues come up and we have all been through the same things. You will have up days and down days but I can tell you that you will never be bored !
From a strictly male point of view, I can identify with what you said and Carma said about getting stuck in that masculine rut of going to work and coming home. Gender roles can be a ruthless tyranny. My wife was stuck at home bringing up the kids. It was sucking all the life out of us. We made various attempts to break out of this pattern without success.

By the way I also have a back injury. I am in a constant low level of pain which can get worse if I don't excercise and take care of myself. I refuse to let that dictate what I do or how I live my life though.

Last edited:
Well this is different

Day....2? 3 ? sorta lost the time line it seems. In any event the discussion continues.

I have a question. I have no issues and or feelings of fear, loss with the sexual side of things, but as soon as i start seeing this as another relationship I start getting bent. I'm trying to process this but lack the poly centric language experience to accurately discribe what I mean.

Sex OK! Two thumbs up. Another man caring for and holding my wife? Not so much. Yes I want her to be with someone who actually likes and appreciates her but can't they just.... I dunno, fuck and then go for coffee? This emotional work is complicated ground, i could use some direction here. thanks.

P.S. We went on another date yesterday and had a mind blowing time that went into the afternoon and late into the night.

Edit: My wife has said she's perfectly alright with my getting a girlfriend. No, I'm not making that up. that's what she said. I said I already had one. Her. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
This is good news Freetime, I am very glad.
Also happy that you are sticking around. Although everybody's experience is slightly different, a lot of the same issues come up and we have all been through the same things. You will have up days and down days but I can tell you that you will never be bored !
From a strictly male point of view, I can identify with what you said and Carma said about getting stuck in that masculine rut of going to work and coming home. Gender roles can be a ruthless tyranny. My wife was stuck at home bringing up the kids. It was sucking all the life out of us. We made various attempts to break out of this pattern without success.

By the way I also have a back injury. I am in a constant low level of pain which can get worse if I don't excercise and take care of myself. I refuse to let that dictate what I do or how I live my life though.

About 10 or 11 years ago my wife was given some possibly life altering news about her health and at that time I panicked, gave up my career and stayed home with her while she built her business and *I worked for her and her company.

(* not really, but it sounds better then saying I just hung around hoping she didn't die.)

The back injury just added insult to injury in that it stopped me from doing many of the things I loved to do such as hike, excursion walking, martial arts and combative shooting Etc.

I started spending a lot of money on in house distractions (Models, Toys, Books.) and as you can see here we are today. I used to Draw, for hours and hours. I was never a pro artist but I loved drawing and yet gave that up too at about the same time as I got married. Hmmmmm. Issues.

I'm a very outgoing funny human being but you'd not know it by looking at how I've lived. Time to change that it seems.

I have a question. I have no issues and or feelings of fear, loss with the sexual side of things, but as soon as i start seeing this as another relationship I start getting bent. I'm trying to process this but lack the poly centric language experience to accurately discribe what I mean.

Sex OK! Two thumbs up. Another man caring for and holding my wife? Not so much. Yes I want her to be with someone who actually likes and appreciates her but can't they just.... I dunno, fuck and then go for coffee? This emotional work is complicated ground, i could use some direction here. thanks.
Straight through the stop sign, and then left at the Mall until you see a gas station....if only it was that simple eh?

It's interesting since with most men it's the sexual aspect that takes a long time to work through, rather than the emotional stuff.
In fact right now, the biggest obstacle I foresee in my wife ever finding a bf would be finding one that legitimately wanted that emotional connection, and wasn't just using her for sex. Knowing how most guys are, I could see myself having a hard time trusting that they'd actually want to care about her the way I do.

So what is it about an emotional connection between your wife and another man that is causing your consternation? You're right that it's a complicated process, but for me it's the main defining characteristic of poly in relation to other forms of non-monogamy such as swinging.
Are you worried that she'll love him more?
That they'll have some feeling between them that you don't?
Different pet names?
With the amount of personal sacrifice you've made in the past, are you worried that she'll want him to comfort and support her when things are bad instead of you?

I'm just throwing possibilities out there, but really this is internal processing time where you need to really look at what your feelings are about this and why. Then dig deep on that to find the root of where it's coming from. Ask yourself the hard questions, and be honest to yourself with the answers.

P.S. We went on another date yesterday and had a mind blowing time that went into the afternoon and late into the night.
Rock on.

Edit: My wife has said she's perfectly alright with my getting a girlfriend. No, I'm not making that up. that's what she said. I said I already had one. Her. Am I missing something here?
I used to refer to my wife as my other ex-gf...because as soon as she said "I Do" she wasn't really my gf anymore was she...she became my wife....but that's all just semantics.
Why would you find this surprising? If she's looking expand her heart to include other people and is deriving some happiness and satisfaction from that, why would she not want her husband to have the same opportunity?
Are you actually opposed to the prospect?
Do you not believe her?
I don't know about missing something, but if you're worried about you the classic wife 'opposite day' thing I don't think that'd be the case...she'll at least think she's perfectly ok with it. That doesn't mean that she might not find her own issues and processing to work through if you take her up on the offer, and also depending on what kind of hussy you bring home. Kinda like bringing home girls to meet Mom ... but different because it's harder to throw a temper tantrum and say "I don't care what you say, it's my life" to your wife than it is to you Mom. :rolleyes:

Keep working at it buddy.

Back