In the garden

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
I miss teaching undergrads. I love undergrads compared to 13-14 year olds. Extensions were easy, they asked, they got auto 5 calendar days. If they had an actual legit reason for needing more than that, they got another 48 hours. I never got asked for grade reviews - people here just accept their grades. The worst part was marking so many of the same thing, often 2500 words, when you generally knew what the grade would be within the first paragraph. It would be very rare for the essay to get better after the first paragraph and unlikely it would get worse.

I just wrote a FB post and an old friend/lover liked it in under a minute so I sent a PM saying "hi, how are you." He said "not so good" so I invited him to message me. It's a 2 hour time difference so he said he'd be available later after kid drop off. I hope he still wants to chat later, it would be good to catch up, and I'm a good listener (it's a skill I've honed since I realised I did the ADHD thing of relating everything back to a personal experience - which actually, once upon a time, was taught as part of listening skills). I've mentioned him here a few years ago...I called him Sam. I'm glad we're still FB friends, definitely a comet friend, we can go for aaaages with barely a murmur and then a burst of conversation, then silence again. Still some of the best bedroom memories of my life when we first met.

I've been chatting with a guy on tiktok, I stumbled across him and somehow I was drawn to him. Rare. Very Rare. So I'm going to actively foster the conversation. You might be surprised to discover he lives about 5 hours drive away which has got to be a record for me for close proximity. So far I know he's a master of video transitions with a penchant for recipes that include sausages, and a Masters degree in chemistry with some time behind him teaching undergrads. And he's kinky because he did a tongue in cheek video about a safeword being the longest placename in NZ. I'm in the process of trying to memorise it.

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
OMG, I just talked to Sam for 3 hours. There was definitely flirting.

(He's in Australia.)

Eponine

The worst part was marking so many of the same thing, often 2500 words, when you generally knew what the grade would be within the first paragraph. It would be very rare for the essay to get better after the first paragraph and unlikely it would get worse.
Oof, I never had to grade essays that long, and even shorter essays were annoying enough. I also found it hard to grade essays by a consistent standard, since it was largely subjective. I've been a TA for graduate statistic classes, and grading those was easier, although could be annoying in its own way.

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
It's Tuesday night. The days are passing slowly and I'm sleeping whenever I want. I have very few symptoms, but the couple of strange ones I do have are keeping me in bed almost constantly. Tinnitus is the biggest, both whistling and roaring. It's a weird kind of exhaustion that it induces. I'm being pretty good about the healthy things - fluids and food. Adam is having symptoms in waves, but hasn't tested positive. He's clearly sick though.

Puck is good to talk with, it's nice having someone else to chat with during this isolation.

Time for sleep again.