Legal plunder - divorce and remarriage?

Norwegianpoly

We are considering going for a legal divorce to be able to stay together as a family in one country. I know some who married one of their partners who do this, but have any of you experience with legal divorce and remarriage?

So far as I have read the marriage and immigration laws in my country, to stop a separation to turn into a divorce, they have to prove that you have fully regained your former romantic relationship with your (legal) ex. So I am thinking, my husband has to officially live somewhere else for a year, and I guess at least actually stay there parts of the time (but if we have a small child it will not look suspicious that he stays here a lot), but at the same time we will have lots of proof that I stay with or visited or was visited by my boyfriend, so it will not be like a traditional fraud thing where for instance people are still dating but they want extra money as a single mum, or they are marrying a platonic friend to get them visas. Our situation will not look like that at all.

Then after the divorce, and marriage, to stop us from him getting the visa to move here. the immigration office would have to again prove that it was pro forma, which they will have a hard time to do, since everyone in SOs circle knows me as his girlfriend and can testify of it. We know a lot about each other's families and life, and I am sure that if I just memorize some family names of his, we will be able to answer all the tests and question they might have. The only thing is that my family does not know him as anything other than my friend, but I plan to change this by telling them.

There has been some legal cases in my country where men who originate from countries where plural marriages are have come with one of their wives, divorced her, then married then other wife in my country as to make it legal here. They are typically not prossecuted for this, as there is no element of deception involved. The immigration office are usually after people who keep one spouse in one country and one in another and they dont actually know each other, or they look for people who manipulate the system when they are not actually in love but just want visas or money. There has been some cases recently where people where prossecuted for benifit fraud. We plan to not apply for any extra benifits or tax reductions at all, to avoid being suspected of the same (unless our lawyer says that THAT will look suspicious).

I realize the laws are different in each country, and I will seek legal advice from lawyers, just wondered if anyone in international long distance relationships have taken this route to close the distance.

Last edited:
Your goal is to divorce your husband and marry your bf? What is the benefit of that for you? Do you all plan to live together at some point?

Your goal is to divorce your husband and marry your bf? What is the benefit of that for you? Do you all plan to live together at some point?
My long distance boyfriend/fiance of 3 years lives in a different country, 2900 miles away with at least 6 hours travel in high season, up to 26 hours in off season. I have already used tons of money to travel to visit him, and my husband has also payed to see him. It is hard for him to visit and I have to personally and financially guarantee to even get him a visa for a month. We want to all live in the same country, city and even suburb, and rather travel to his country for holidays. The benefit for him, me and all of us is that legal marriage can allow him to immigrate and we can spend more time together as a family. We already tried study and work options for him and they are not working out. I am tired of the long distance and I would like to have at least an end date in sight. We may all live together (with kids), or close by.

Hi Norwegianpoly,

I think I understand what you are aiming for (as far as divorcing your husband and marrying your out-of-country boyfriend is concerned). I think it is a little tricky, but if you continually touch base with a lawyer, you'll probably be alright. The world has not progressed far enough to make poly relationships any easier than this. So, we have to make do with the tools we have.

I hope things work out well for all three of you. Keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Hi Norwegianpoly,

I think I understand what you are aiming for (as far as divorcing your husband and marrying your out-of-country boyfriend is concerned). I think it is a little tricky, but if you continually touch base with a lawyer, you'll probably be alright. The world has not progressed far enough to make poly relationships any easier than this. So, we have to make do with the tools we have.

I hope things work out well for all three of you. Keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Yes, it will be "legally re-structuring of the family", as the Browns family put it. We have contacted two lawyers; one local lawyer to help us write and update wills (to secure my husband after divorce), and one immigration lawyer to help us with the immigration process. We plan to write a contract with a friend and pay him for the rent of a room to document "separation" with my husband "moving out" of our flat for one year. Then we will buy or rent a small studio flat close by for my husband to live in while we proceed with fiance visa, remarriage and immigration. After immigration is settled, husband 1 and 2 can alter between the studio flat and the main flat while I stay put.

Back