Looking for guidance

DevilsChild

Hey everyone, I'm a single straight female looking for some help and advice on a few things. A little about me: I realized I was into polyamory around 2011. I didn't start actively living the lifestyle until February this year, after a hard breakup with my ex. We were monogamous and had a great connection, but he didn't understand or want an open relationship. Although it's been around 7 months since I started being poly, I still feel very new to the whole thing.

Those I've been intimate this year have mostly been touring musicians. The thing is, I haven't been upfront with some of them about being poly, and I'm wondering how and when I should bring it up? Or does it matter considering they might be intimate with other ladies in other cities, and we might not ever pursue a serious relationship since they live miles away? Also, would you advise against this type of thing if I were interested in a career in the music industry? (I know this might be obvious but I'd like to hear your answers...)

Thanks a lot in advance, and feel free to ask me questions.

- DC

Last edited:
For me personally, honesty is an inherent part of not being a cheater. I cheated in the past, I don't want to relive that nightmare.

So I wouldn't allow myself to get into a sexual situation with someone who didn't know my poly dynamic.

But-I'm also not a solo-poly person. I am married with a live-in boyfriend and children. So I don't even date someone who doesn't know. It would be disrespectful to my existing family.

As for the risk-adding sex to a "prospective" job situation is always risky.

Hi DC,
Welcome to our forum.

My first thought is I'm uncomfortable assuming non-monogamy without confirming it with the other person. However, maybe the music touring scene has a built-in culture of assumed non-monogamy.

The only other concern from my perspective is make sure you practice relatively safe sex, especially if you've just met the other person. The almighty condom comes into mind.

In most situations, I'd try to bring up being poly as soon as possible, first or second date. Simple is best: "I should let you know that I am polyamorous. Is that okay?" The person might not know what "polyamorous" means and if not, you can explain it to them.

I think it's always wise to be prepared to answer questions about polyamory, so study and learn. "Opening Up" by Tristan Taormino is a great book to get into, and on this site there's a Golden Nuggets board to cover the basics.

Whatever you read and however you research, Polyamory.com is always a place where you can post your thoughts, questions, and concerns. Usually you get some pretty good feedback.

By the way, what made you realize you were into polyamory?

Glad to have you aboard.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Thanks a lot for your responses and support LR and Kevin.

Yeah, I kinda get the vibe that the whole touring music business operates non-monogamously, except for the guys that straight up say they have a girlfriend. Although in some cases that still hasn't stopped them from making out with me... ha!

I'll be honest and say I've made some very poor under the influence decisions the last couple times I've slept with guys, such as not using a condom. Ughhh fuck! I'm ashamed and disappointed in myself. The problem is I drink too much, black out, and become careless. I know, it's not good. :S

I actually already own "Opening Up". Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to start carrying it around and finish reading it!

To answer your question: I realized I was into poly back in 2011 when I was in my first monogamous relationship. I flirted with another guy on the internet, and my boyfriend got extremely jealous and hurt over it. I didn't understand how it was wrong, and felt really tied down. We broke up, and a couple years later I was dating another guy monogamously. Even though I enjoyed our relationship a lot, I still had desires to cuddle, kiss, and sleep with others... there you have it!

Worried

DC, as gently as possible, I would like to say I am worried about you. Perhaps, while you're single, it would be a good time to explore some options on how to help you manager your choices to help keep yourself, and your partners, safe both physically and emotionally? For example, drinking excessively can cause so many problems, including the possibility of sexual encounters you may not have consented to or be aware of--rape--which would leave you in a very bad situation physically and emotionally. Or, as you say has already happened, having unprotected sex, with all the possible consequences.

Generally, poly is more than just sleeping with different people with whom you are not in a relationship. That is more often just called "dating" these days, or (in other contexts) swinging. Becoming involved, emotionally or physically, outside of a relationship, when the partner in that relationship is unaware and consenting, is called cheating, not poly. This is true when you are with someone who's partner isn't aware of your encounter/relationship, just as much as it would be with your own partner. Poly is about communication, and definitely about consent and respect, which are all necessary to be safe and happy (frankly, all relationships should be about those, not just poly). The partners who you've said made out with you after saying they have a girlfriend (which a general person generally says more like "My girlfriend and I are in a poly relationship, are you okay with that?", whereas just leaving it at "I have a girlfriend" definitely implies she doesn't know, and they aren't poly) aren't respecting you, or their girlfriends. Which means you are very unlikely to be the first person they've broken that trust with, and tells you a good bit about the level of safety you might expect from them, especially if you are incapacitated.

I am not a prude, and no stranger to partying (I was a traveling Bud girl at one point), but safety is a real and serious concern.

As Kevin suggested, more reading, and possibly some help in learning good decision making, would be a real benefit as you move forward and explore poly.

GreenAcres, I really appreciate your concern and response. It means a lot to me.

I know the way I've been conducting myself hasn't been very responsible or respectful, to both myself and others. I've struggled with excessive drinking for a couple years now, and I completely agree that now would be the perfect time to start making better choices to improve myself. I absolutely hate waking up the day after being with someone and wondering how it came to be, wondering if we talked about our health, etc etc. I end up feeling disappointed and disgusted at myself, yet it keeps happening. I suppose that saying is very true, that lessons will repeat themselves until you learn from them. Hopefully it's not too late for me health-wise, which I'll find out from the doc in a couple weeks.... :/

I really do not want to be someone who enables cheating. I'm really going to start reading more and working on communicating and behaving with self respect.

Sounds like polyamory, and/or open relationships is the life for you, you just need to add some moderation/playing it safe to the mix. You could try an approach such as, "Do you have a girlfriend? Would she mind if you and I hooked up?" That way you've shown that knowledge and consent are concerns of yours, which is good because then your dates/partners will respect you more.

If it's just a "one night stand," I suppose you don't need to go into too much depth about each other's lives, but if something starts developing into a relationship, be sure to let them know you are poly, and make sure that's okay with them.

Good luck, hope the doc sends you a clean bill of health!

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Use condoms, probably cut down on your drinking for health reasons but fuck as much as you like. Don't be concerned about the amount of sex you are having, or the amount of sexual partners you have, think about whether the sex you are having makes you happy. If it doesn't, change it.

@ london: yah, that's the ticket.

@ DC: no prob, always glad to help.

Generally, animals have a few key needs for survival, and their instinct and motivation is directed towards those needs. For an individual to survive, he/she needs air, food, water, shelter, due opportunity for elimination, and the good fortune of reasonably good health. For the species to survive, he/she needs due opportunity for reproduction.

So sex is a strong need and instinct, but it's not quite as strong as those other things I mentioned that an individual needs to survive. TL/DR: You'll be okay personally even if the amount of sex you're currently getting is lacking. Don't sweat it too much! I'm pretty sure you'll come across more opportunity for sex in due time.

Remember, any job worth doing is worth doing well ... ;)

Haha I spoke too soon.. ;P

So, I have another question. Not completely related to poly but I guess it goes on a bit of a tangent. My ex's girlfriend asked me not to physically touch my ex. I have a problem with that because my ex and I have always physically touched (platonic and otherwise) and he has never expressed any problem with me doing it since he's been with his girlfriend. I don't know how to respond to her. :S I don't want drama or hard feelings, but I'm going to hug one of my best friends and joke around if I want to, you know? Ugh!

If there's a question there, it must be rhetorical. As you stated, you're going to hug one of your best friends and joke around if you want to. You may not like the drama or hard feelings that result from your ex's girlfriend, but unless I am misreading your post, you've already kind of made up your mind that continuing your tactile dynamic with your ex will be the priority here.

If you are asking how to respond to her, you might start by asking her why this is so important to her, and sharing with her that touch is something you and your ex have always shared and it's important to you. Ultimately, I think you'd best give her fair warning that you do intend to continue touching the ex when you feel so inclined. It's the truth, and it gets the drama over with which is just as well.

Unless something she tells you convinces you to soften your position? Do try to be a sincere listener while she talks, don't just use what she says to try to build up a good retort.

Probably not gonna be an easy situation to work through. Sorry about that. :(

Ah yes, sorry. I guess my post didn't have a straight question there... but you answered what I was wondering, which was how to respond to her. She wrote me a long e-mail a couple weeks ago and I've been struggling with a response. I have pretty much already made up my mind, and I do have a feeling this will be a tough situation to deal with. Yet again, thanks for your input. :)

As someone new to poly but not new to casual sex (swinging) I guess the communication aspect comes easily...that, and I've learned my lessons.

For your situation...if I were in it...I would most certainly be taking responsibility for my OWN health and safety. Part of that is understanding a little bit more about who I am hooking up with. I guess what you are talking about is really two things.

1) There's the "frat / music industry" aspect of getting fucked up and throwing caution to the wind...waking up saying "what the fuck did I do last night" and smiling a wicked smile at how adventurous you are...then going to the STD clinic after the hangover wears off.

2) Living a responsible life as someone who enjoys hooking up and having a good time with others of like mind while remaining safe and sane in the process.

I guess the first one is pretty much giving up your life to fate.

The second one involves a lot of questions about what level of risk do you really want to invite into your life. The health risk of drinking too much and fucking blind. The emotional risk of treading all over someone else's relationship that could come back to YOU. The mental risk of having to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Personally I don't see the fact that your poly coming into the situations you've been involved with until you begin to enter a relationship with some one. Sleeping around and partying is just being single and having a good time. It really isn't until one of your partners asks for something more that your being poly comes into play. How soon you disclose that is up to you...but if its just a one night stand...it doesn't matter IMHO. Of course if you really like someone and things begin to develop...like a connection or regular get-togethers then you will know instinctively that as you get to know each other they should be aware of your poly inclinations.

Those are just the thoughts that strike me from what you wrote.

Good post Steve. :)

@ DevilsChild ... keep us posted on how things go, I'm of course particularly invested in how/whether you're able to hammer out an understanding with your ex's girlfriend.

Regards,
Kevin T.

Yes, good post indeed. Thanks Steve.

I just responded to her now... it's been 3 weeks since she originally wrote to me. I honestly felt pissed at some of the things she was telling me not to do, and didn't want to reply with any hints of anger, or with anything I would regret. Anyway... I'll let you know how it pans out.

You were wise to give yourself a cooling period before responding to her email. At the least, it allows *you* to keep hold of your objectivity.

Well she responded and said she thinks touching is inappropriate and unnecessary because we're ex's, that she personally never touches her ex's for reason out of respect for her ex's mono relationship as well as hers, and that our over familiarity rubs her the wrong way. She claims it's not just one thing I do but a handful that make her uncomfortable. The examples she brought up are from this one party around a month ago, which were: rubbing his arm after I accidentally hit him, moving aside his jacket to see what shirt he was wearing, and hugging him. She says that as an ex-girlfriend I shouldn't be doing those types of things. She acknowledges that we both have different ideas of relationship boundaries, and that I'm not doing these things intentionally to upset her.

I think I'll ask my ex if this makes him uncomfortable too, and if it does then I'm alright with stopping. But if it doesn't then I guess there will have to come to some sort of compromise? I dunno... ughhh. FRUSTRATION

Back