Poly and Parenting

@ OMD ... interesting article, a good overview of the pros and cons. Though it tended to home in on the pros; I know, why should I be complaining about that.

None of the three people in my poly unit are interested in having children, so, I don't have much expertise in that area. I only have what I hear from other poly parents.

I currently live with two partners, one (Lobe) who is the bio-father of our child, and the other partner (Ocean) who is co-parenting too. It's a V with myself as the hinge, so Lobe and Ocean are not romantically involved.

Lobe surprised me the other day by talking about what would happen to the living arrangements if I died while the kid was still young. He had been considering the various ways that could play out. Would he continue to live with Ocean and our kid? To be honest I hadn't thought of that before. The legal aspects, yes, but not the practicalities... hmm. Let's hope that scenario doesn't come to pass, of course, but it's a strange thought that they might prefer to continue to live as a household in order to continue co-parenting, even though they have mostly just been metamours til now, despite the co-parenting deal. They're not really friends directly; we live together because they are both in relationships with me, and they wouldn't live with each other otherwise.

We didn't come to any conclusions as to how we thought it would go down, it was more acknowledging how weird (and sad) it would be to have to make that decision.

@ fuchka - What a complex and delicate situation you have. I'm curious, how are holidays divvied up or spent with your unit? You mentioned Lobe and Ocean aren't involved but do co-parent.

Back