Saw This On CNN....

Good article, thanks for posting. Utah isn't ready to say, "Polygamy is okay," right now they are framing the whole issue around abusive situations, and saying that decriminalizing polygamy makes it easier for victims of abuse to come forward (without fear of going to jail and losing their kids). Ironically, the side opposing polygamy is using the very same argument, saying that decriminalizing polygamy makes it easier for abusers to go about their abusive business. I think eventually we'll have to address the morality question surrounding polygamy itself, a question that will be complicated by the fact that in Utah, "polygamy" means "patriarchal polygyny" and that's what you'd be condoning.

Speaking on the topic of Poly in the News - I just ran across the whole Katie Hill scandal, which I had (unsurprisingly) managed to miss! Guess I can never run for political office! :eek:

You might be able to if you were 100% public, out, and transparent about all of your poly relationships right from the beginning. Hill was more in the position where she "got caught," because she hadn't already told everybody about her relationships. Sort of like if you act guilty, people will assume you are guilty.

Running for office as an openly poly candidate would certainly be a challenge though.

Plus, she's a Democrat. Cheating on all three wives, bragging about sexual assault, and nude pics of the first lady didn't hurt Trump at all. Being part of a triad was pretty tame in comparison.

I know of people who are openly poly and have won local office, obviously in fairly liberal areas. I suspect the Kate Hill thing wouldn't have been nearly as bad had it not been with people who worked for/with her, though - if it's not ok for a guy to sleep with his subordinates it isn't ok for a woman either.

Back