What you listening to Now :

I recently discovered Beethoven's Rondo a Capriccio, Op. 129 or "Rage Over a Lost Penny" and found a version performed live at Carnegie Hall, which if anything is FASTER than many of the recorded versions I am hearing...

It's positively frenetic and heart-pounding piano music. I find myself consumed with an urge to leap up and do something brilliant. It's like someone is injecting creative adrenaline straight into my brain right now. I know what I need to listen to next time I'm making art, now...

The story is kind of hilarious about the name of the song. Beethoven was pretty much a crazy asshole. And he usually didn't live anywhere long, because he pissed off everyone. He once cut a hole in the wall of a rented apartment so he could have a better view of a cathedral, and he'd be making tons of loud noise composing at all hours, and he would usually accuse the maids of stealing from him, and run them off with shouting matches and thrown objects. So when he was composing this piece, a neighbor had overheard him fighting with a maid, over a lost gold penny, accusing her of stealing it, and after she fled, a ton of loud noises made the neighbor think that ol' Ludwig Van was in there throwing the furniture everywhere looking for this penny. So by the time the song was made public, the story had gotten around, and the funny nickname stuck. Which is great, since the song is not only frantic but also kind of...frivolous sounding, at times.

I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJj4567Mf0

There was a time in my life when I was a good enough musician to play that. It was one of my favorites because it WAS so chaotic but with underlying structure.

I miss that talent. Don't know if I have the willpower to work enough to get back to it though.

There was a time in my life when I was a good enough musician to play that. It was one of my favorites because it WAS so chaotic but with underlying structure.

I miss that talent. Don't know if I have the willpower to work enough to get back to it though.

God that's amazing. I would love to see someone perform that live.

I hope one day to get back into the art museum and symphony habit. My kids don't have any interest, I have tried dragging them out to such things, but they resist pretty strongly and generally would rather not go. Especially symphonies, even though they've been into orchestra themselves. I guess I sort of understand because as a teenager what made it more enjoyable to me was that I'd read a book when I went, so that my mind could have more than just the music to keep the gears spinning. I really do prefer a combination of doing while listening...

Pandora Shuffled stations
Addicted to Love ~ Florence & the Machine
Working Man ~ RUSH

More Pandora Shuffled Stations

U2 ~ Pride (In the Name of Love)

Africa. By Toto. Which apparently teenagers are now obsessed with somehow.

Stuck in my head for 9 days and counting. God help me.

LOL Spork. I saw that on your blog. My kids and I have the opposite thing going on. They throw music at me they think I won't know. My youngest posted a pic wearing a NIN hat. I said cool hat. She was surprised I knew them. I said of course, her mom and I saw them 3x. My oldest once thought she would shock me by playing Marilyn Manson. I shocked her by taking her to his concert.

Not sure either of them would admit to liking Africa though...lol.

John Coltrane's Blue Train - great album if you like the Cool Jazz of that era.

Last edited:
That was pretty cool UsagiO!

Back