On Marriage, Cats, and Kids

ImaginaryIllusion

Administrator
Staff member
The following thread is introduced here since General Discussions seemed like it might be a more appropriate place to discuss the relative merits of Marriage, and the purpose of children within the context of modern relationship constructs. Enjoy.

. Most of you ladies don't want anything but that protective man to stand by you and defend you from all that society can throw at you.

Are you kidding me, that is exactly why I married my husband. I suppose, according to the logic you put to follow that, that I married the right one!

Some people think I am psychic.

I am only speaking for myself as a person, not about all women everywhere. :)

Furthermore, I did not realize that until AFTER we got married; marriage really IS about everyone BUT the [two] people involved. If it were only about love, etc. there would be no use for it.

IMO, it should mostly be about raising children in a secure and healthy environment. You should have love for your partner in that enterprise.
With a poly relationship, all of the adults should still focus on the children, but occasional moments of gratification can be considered a reward for your efforts.

Framing it in this light should help people understand the difference between a marriage and a "civil union." When the intent is addressed as "creating a family" it becomes harder for a homosexual couple to justify the intentions. Many hetero couples get married without any intention of rearing children. Just between me and wall, it isn't a real good idea. Divorce can follow marriage, and somebody is going to get the shaft and not have any smiling children to justify their poor judgment and irrational moment of decision.

So much for your psychic powers.

I am so CF (child-free), that I can't even find the words to respond to that without maximum snarkiness.

Obviously, marriage and reproduction are not practical co-requisites.

Edit:

I'm not going to squeeze out a kid just so I'll have company in case I get divorced. That's what god invented cats for.

Furthermore, "smiling children" should not be produced to "justify their [parents'] poor judgment and irrational moment of decision". In reality, children often ARE the product of poor judgement and an irrational moment of INdecision (or failure to use birth-control).

Guess I should head over to the courthouse and file for divorce first thing tomorrow morning. Either that, or I should get a kid pronto.

Have you ever heard of a "Cat Lady?" You don't want to be one. Of course, being an empath, I realize that cats are better than most men. I am an empath, so I have "cat like" feelings and understanding of yours. Most men don't. Cats are nice to have around when you feel sad.

Children are a responsibility, and so are cats and dogs. Divorce laws were created to enforce the rearing responsibility and to make sure the kids are smiling and do justify the original partnership. You can disagree, and I will agree to your right to hold your own opinion.

Cheers.

Most men like myself, are severely allergic to cats. Why don't you women get that?....btw, we love your "cat like" tendancies.....sorta like having a cat curled up next to us all snugly, but no sneezing.......

A4 said:
Have you ever heard of a "Cat Lady?" You don't want to be one. Of course, being an empath, I realize that cats are better than most men. I am an empath, so I have "cat like" feelings and understanding of yours. Most men don't. Cats are nice to have around when you feel sad.

Actually, I am heavily involved in rescue/adoption/spay/neuter of stray and feral cats, and have so many living with me that I do consider myself a "Cat Lady", and proud of it. But I did not come to this forum to debate that part of my life.

I find it insulting that you would say such things to someone then turn around and declare your psychic and empathic powers to the world (twice!) when they are obviously not working very well.

Have a day :|

Last edited:
Back