CNN Article on Non-monogamy (February 19, 2023)

Al99

Sadly that article presupposes that only "just sex" relationships will work for formerly monogamous couples. They don't address polyAMORY at all. Sad.

I guess sexual nonmonogamy will have to become accepted before polyamory can.

I guess sexual nonmonogamy will have to become accepted before polyamory can.
But that, by another name, is swinging (or the use of sex workers) which have been around for a long time (or forever). Polyamory is the real groundbreaker.

But that, by another name, is swinging (or the use of sex workers) which have been around for a long time (or forever). Polyamory is the real groundbreaker.
I was reading an article the other day that made the case that poly people are being snobby by saying swinging isn't polyamory. I am of the mind that they are two different things as well, but it was definitely an interesting read. Really got into the philosophy of love. I think that at some point you can be in a swinging situation that is emotionally detached enough to not be polyamory anymore, but I guess that just depends on how people label things. if I can find it again I'll post it here.

I was reading an article the other day that made the case that poly people are being snobby by saying swinging isn't polyamory. I am of the mind that they are two different things as well, but it was definitely an interesting read. Really got into the philosophy of love. I think that at some point you can be in a swinging situation that is emotionally detached enough to not be polyamory anymore, but I guess that just depends on how people label things. if I can find it again I'll post it here.
While poly and swinging are "two distinct lifestyles" - there is a lot of gray in between. It is not unusual for an ongoing swinger relationship to morph into poly. And poly people sometimes swing as well - just for fun.

While poly and swinging are "two distinct lifestyles" - there is a lot of gray in between. It is not unusual for an ongoing swinger relationship to morph into poly. And poly people sometimes swing as well - just for fun.
And besides polyamory on one hand and (formal) swinging on the other, there is the range of "just fooling around," and the world of kink. Sometimes kink involves sex and a depth of emotional connection and sometimes just practicing the fetish itself is satisfactory.

Back