definitions of polyamory

They really just like the idea of having multiple lovers and think that this is "being poly".
I agree that being poly is more than simply wanting multiple partners. Poly-sexual isn't polyamory, it's just being human. I don't see how simply desiring more than one boyfriend at a time would be "being poly." Lots of people throughout time have wanted several dating partners - the Beach Boys even sang about it. You can't have a best girl if there are not other girls, too. I'm all for inclusivity, but let's not get ridiculous. Polyamory is about not just the feelings, but also visibility and informed consent. It's not about simply the desire for multiple partners.

Last edited:
And then there are those who remain contentedly monogamous throughout their lives ...
My personal belief about such alleged relationships is that they fall into one or more of these categories: Myth, dishonesty, stunted development, lack of opportunity, or insufficient inducement. I don't know of anyone, nor can I imagine any normal healthy person who has only had one relationship ( ever ), and despite having the capacity and opportunity, has never strayed or longed after another at all ( ever ) for their whole lives. It's a fairy tale myth. Even worse, it's a bad cliche of a fairy tale myth with Disney written all over it.

Last edited:
Honestly hedgehog, if you want people to take you seriously, you should post provable facts, rather than your own unsubstantiated opinions. Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention serial monogamists: those who have multiple partners over their lifetime, but only one at a time.

My grandmother only had one relationship ever, but that isn't the standard in monogamy. Monogamists have one relationship at a time. Also, monogamy doesn't mean to never be attracted to someone else. It means they choose to not act on those attractions because they only do one relationship at a time.

Back