Favorite Quotes

Al99

A thread for favorite quotes of all types - philosophical, inspirational, humorous, whatever....

Since we are a poly forum, here's one to start it off.

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own... Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy."

Robert A. Heinlein
(Stranger in a Strange Land)

Last edited:
"To see ourselves as we are, we must begin by acknowledging that of all Earth's creatures, none is as urgently, creatively, and constantly sexual as Homo sapiens."
-- Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá, "Sex at Dawn"

Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá, "Sex at Dawn"

Kevin - I just finished this book, and found it to be a very engaging and interesting read. I would highly recommend it for those who are perhaps reconsidering the nature of monogamy, a position that I found myself in a couple of years back - wish I had read it sooner! I've been considering writing a more extended post about this book so will just leave it at that for the moment. Al

Yeah, it's an excellent book.

Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.

Robert Heinlein
(Stranger in a Strange Land).

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
-Sir Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Hi, I really like the quote Timur Artemyev : "I want to live young for more than 120 years." At first, I did not attach much importance to her, but then I read an article that says that Timur Artemyev is a charitable organization that supports research on aging, to solve the problems of a rapidly aging population, reduce the suffering of older people and reduce the impact of disease on future generations. . After this article, I realized that there is an opportunity to extend our lives. Therefore, this quote is now my favorite.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love.

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
-Sir Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.”
~Rumi

“Paradoxical as it may seem, the purposeful life has no content, no point. It hurries on and on, and misses everything. Not hurrying, the purposeless life misses nothing, for it is only when there is no goal and no rush that the human senses are fully open to receive the world.”

~ Alan Watts

The Way of Zen ~ 1957

I heard a portion of this quote on an Artgasm podcast and had to look it up to get the full quote. I really enjoy it...

Mary Haskell November 23, 1912 letter she writes to Gibran: "Inwardly something in me has been saying to you, "Kahlil Gibran, you shall continue to walk by your own light. I don't even want you to be a poet or a painter: I want you to be whatever you are led or impelled to become. If you find yourself disappointing - drop self-expectations. What you are turning into you cannot expect to know, but you can trust it, and believe that if it is other than you planned, it will also be better than you planned - however different. Nothing you become will disappoint me; I have no preconception that I'd like to see you be or do. I have no desire to foresee you, only to discover you. I love you."

"The common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

"Don't wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul."
Osho

"You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Really good - and so poly-appropriate.

Favorite Quote

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” – John Wooden

A couple of them:

"Challenges come so we can grow and be prepared for things we are not equipped to handle now."

"You have to meet people where they are, and sometimes you have to leave them there."

both by Iyanla Vanzant

Back