"Time for the Church to Talk About Polyamory"

Al99

The article was interesting enough, but as is often the case, the comments were lots more interesting to me. I am of the opinion that the Bible is not very clear, that it was written by many different authors with markedly different opinions. Because of this, two people can read the Bible and come to two very different conclusions about things like polyamory. So more than discussion/acceptance of poly within the churches, I think what Christianity needs most is to loosen its death grip on the Bible. Make peace with the fact that the Bible is a very flawed book. With the fact that we are basically on our own when it comes to figuring out whether things like homosexuality, transsexuality, poly, and kink are okay. God is not speaking to us in the clear, consistent way that would allow us to come to an agreement. Even prayer does not fix this problem.

I fear that my atheism is showing through, but oh well ...

The article was interesting enough, but as is often the case, the comments were lots more interesting to me. I am of the opinion that the Bible is not very clear, that it was written by many different authors with markedly different opinions. Because of this, two people can read the Bible and come to two very different conclusions about things like polyamory. So more than discussion/acceptance of poly within the churches, I think what Christianity needs most is to loosen its death grip on the Bible. Make peace with the fact that the Bible is a very flawed book. With the fact that we are basically on our own when it comes to figuring out whether things like homosexuality, transsexuality, poly, and kink are okay. God is not speaking to us in the clear, consistent way that would allow us to come to an agreement. Even prayer does not fix this problem.

I fear that my atheism is showing through, but oh well ...

This is absolutely brilliant. The Bible is mythology, full stop. Parts of it are valuable as literary (hello, Song of Songs) or philosophical texts, but it's still mythology. I would feel the same way even if I were still Christian.

Thanks for those props WC.

As a counterpoint, someone updated Wikipedia last week.
On August 29, 2017, the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood released a manifesto on human sexuality known as the "Nashville Statement". The statement was signed by 150 evangelical leaders, and includes 14 points of belief. Among other things, it states, "We deny that God has designed marriage to be a homosexual, polygamous, or polyamorous relationship."
There ya go, then. Pretty much called out specifically.

On August 29, 2017, the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood released a manifesto on human sexuality known as the "Nashville Statement". The statement was signed by 150 evangelical leaders, and includes 14 points of belief. Among other things, it states, "We deny that God has designed marriage to be a homosexual, polygamous, or polyamorous relationship.

In fairness, the "Nashville Statement" is in toto an Evangelical Fundamentalist document and not reflective of mainstream American Protestant Christianity. Several major mainstream Christian denominations have endorsed gay marriage - Episcopalians, Presbyterians, the United Church of Christ, and some Lutherans - as well as other less mainstream Christians such as the Quakers, the New Thought churches (such as Unity and Religious Science) - and, of course, the MCC.

However, even the mainstream denominations that have endorsed gay marriage are undoubtedly a long way from endorsing polyamory. As an exception, the MCC does specifically endorse polyamory in their counter-statement to the "Nashville Statement" -

Article 7
WE AFFIRM a self-conception of having inherent worth, being loved by God, and belonging to a family or community should be defined as God's holy purposes in creation and redemption as revealed in Scripture. We affirm that homosexuality, bi and pan-sexuality, asexuality, transgender and non-binary gender, polyamory and all other forms of queer identity are as much valid and holy self-conceptions consistent with God's holy purposes as cisgender, heterosexual and monogamous identities.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...10130&ca=208c27cc-9a33-41cf-bd56-26ba2b5099a3

Additionally, the New Thought churches and the (non-Christian) UU Churches are welcoming of poly folks as well.

In fairness, the "Nashville Statement" is in toto an Evangelical Fundamentalist document and not reflective of mainstream American Protestant Christianity. Several major mainstream Christian denominations have endorsed gay marriage - Episcopalians, Presbyterians, the United Church of Christ, and some Lutherans - as well as other less mainstream Christians such as the Quakers, the New Thought churches (such as Unity and Religious Science) - and, of course, the MCC.

However, even the mainstream denominations that have endorsed gay marriage are undoubtedly a long way from endorsing polyamory. As an exception, the MCC does specifically endorse polyamory in their counter-statement to the "Nashville Statement" -

Article 7

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...10130&ca=208c27cc-9a33-41cf-bd56-26ba2b5099a3

Additionally, the New Thought churches and the (non-Christian) UU Churches are welcoming of poly folks as well.
Much as I would love to say this reflects reality, the numbers tell us that there's a huge gap between "mainline" (the denominations you mentioned) and "mainstream." Unfortunately, conservative evangelicals appear to be, by any good measure, the mainstream of American Protestantism. The Southern Baptist convention alone has over 15 million members in the U.S., and though they are clearly the largest they are but one of many denominations. By contrast, the mainline (inclusive) Episcopalians, Presbyterians, and Lutherans don't even total 7 million when combined. The United Methodists are more lucky, but they also have a much larger conservative evangelical constituency, and their church is being dragged further to the right by their members in the Global South (unlike the others, they are not a national church). In terms of smaller denominations or independent churches as well, evangelicals have the unquestioned upper hand.

I would love to say, as a progressive theologian, we are winning the battle. But at this point I'm afraid the Nashville Statement does indeed represent overwhelmingly the majority of those who identify as "Christian" in the U.S.A. You can find the inclusivists but you really need to know where to go. If you just walk into any random church in the U.S., it's far more likely than not that it will be filled with people who agree with the Nashville Statement.

Back