Valentines Day in London

Oh no, it's called Throuple? Gah! I hate that word (and I'm annoyed by the idea of triads in general). But go off, trendy capitalists, I guess.

You need to register to read the article so I didn't read it. What is so special about a restaurant for triads? Are there really that many triads in London?

Interesting tidbit of info in the introductory pic (showing 3 glasses in as toast) -
"Just 0.5 per cent of people identify as being in non-monogamous relationships"

The statistics I've seen repeatedly in a lot of reading on the subject of CNM is that the number is in the 6-8% range, with up to 20% stating that had engaged in a CNM relationship at some point in their life. Of course, most CNM folks are closeted (although it seems more poly folks are going public, swingers generally are very private) - so perhaps that 0.5% stat is just supposed to be for those who are openly CNM.

(I also did not want to register so did not read the article).

I'm not thrilled about the word "throuple," but I have a feeling we're stuck with it. Much like the word "compersion," which I also never liked. Truth be told, I'm thrilled to have a restaurant anywhere (and how awesome is it to be in as major a city as London) that is dedicated to polyamory. Let them call themselves "Throuples Restaurants," if they feel so inclined, it's still a huge step in the right direction. I think the MF+F "unicorn triad fantasy" will have to have widespread acceptance, before more-realistic poly models ever do. I'll take it, if at least *some* form of poly gets widespread acceptance. As we're not there yet.

Here's another version if the same from Time Out.

The gist is buy 2 get 1 free. Also open to larger sets of poly people...

Valentine’s day is typically for candle-lit dinners, romantic hotel stays and cringe-worthy spa breaks. Typically, everything offered will be designed for two people, and two people only. But this year, London has a brand-new spot where monogamous couples are just not welcome. Enter Throuple.
From today onwards, throuples — as well as anyone in a four-way or five-way relationship — are invited to book a spot at Throuple, the special Valentine’s day Shoreditch pop-up where they'll be treated to a free three-course meal and drinks.
The restaurant experience, hosted by sexual wellness brand LELO, is aiming to break down the taboo surrounding non-monogamous love and ‘create a safe space for people in polyamorous relationships, so they can enjoy a romantic night out with their significant others’.
Popular on Time Out
There's limited information about what sort of food will be served – guests are required to share their dietary requirements when they book. But if you’re bagging a free meal, does it really matter what you’re eating?
Fifteen tables are available at the pop-up restaurant. You can book a spot and find out more here.

It sounds like if my V ever visited London, we could get a free meal for one of the three of us. I don't think they would require us to be a unicorn triad.

Back