What online games are you into?

NerfHerder

I'm looking for new games to play! I used to WoW or FFXIV with my wife, and those were fun ways to find people to talk to. Right now I'm playing some Fortnite and AFK Arena, but neither seem to be conducive to talking to people...

My wife and her boyfriend are big into an alliance on State of Survival but... a) I don't want to spend as much time on the game as they do - I have too many projects! and b) It's sort of their thing... he seems fun to play with (we Fortnite together occasionally) but I don't want to add any complications.

I honestly prefer PC over Android games, although I'll try most anything, lol.

Does anyone play any of those games or have any recommendations?

If you like card games I recommend Ascension. It’s a game that you can take your time to play. (Make a move and leave it until your opponent plays and you’re ready to take your next turn).

For switch (and probably PC) Superliminal is a fantastic puzzle game where you have to use perspective to solve the puzzles.

My name on Chess.com is the same as on here. Feel free to send me a match! 😁

I'm jumping back into WoW for Shadowlands! I need to upgrade my hard drive first; I'm doing that this evening. I've been playing intermittently since it was released, but I haven't touched it in a couple years. At the risk of sounding like a huge nerd, I sometimes dream in Azeroth. :)

My daughter tried to get me into Fortnite, but it was just too flashy and chaotic for me.

I've been playing Among Us with a group of friends. So. Much. Fun. I was a little shaken by it at first--I'm a terrible liar, and I'm still awful at it--but it's fun even when it's bad. (I can't imagine playing it with strangers, though.)

Some friends of mine suggested boardgamearena.com, and I made an account but haven't actually played any live games yet. Mostly I'm just intimidated by learning the rules. But the selection of games is HUGE and it seems like a friendly place.

If you like card games I recommend Ascension. It’s a game that you can take your time to play. (Make a move and leave it until your opponent plays and you’re ready to take your next turn).

For switch (and probably PC) Superliminal is a fantastic puzzle game where you have to use perspective to solve the puzzles.

My name on Chess.com is the same as on here. Feel free to send me a match! 😁
What is it with you people and chess.com?

I don't know how to chess.

I've tried to play. I know vaguely what the pieces do, but I've found that since I don't know the basic strategies, I am pretty much either bound to play against someone else who only vaguely knows what they're doing or get my ass handed to me.

I have the same problem with Settlers of Catan....

I'm jumping back into WoW for Shadowlands! I need to upgrade my hard drive first; I'm doing that this evening. I've been playing intermittently since it was released, but I haven't touched it in a couple years. At the risk of sounding like a huge nerd, I sometimes dream in Azeroth. :)

My daughter tried to get me into Fortnite, but it was just too flashy and chaotic for me.

I've been playing Among Us with a group of friends. So. Much. Fun. I was a little shaken by it at first--I'm a terrible liar, and I'm still awful at it--but it's fun even when it's bad. (I can't imagine playing it with strangers, though.)

Some friends of mine suggested boardgamearena.com, and I made an account but haven't actually played any live games yet. Mostly I'm just intimidated by learning the rules. But the selection of games is HUGE and it seems like a friendly place.
I played WoW for a *looong* time, I looked at going back, but I just can't get into it.

My kids love Among Us, but I haven't tried it yet - my "social deduction" skills generally involve yelling that everyone else is the traitor for no particular reason.

I definitely understand your trepidation with boardgamearena. There's really not much to get you set up on the rules other than spending an hour watching "how-to" videos, which sort of defeats the purpose. Some games are really simple and fun though (like Don't Stop! and 6nimit) which are easy to jump into and just enjoy.

What is it with you people and chess.com?

I don't know how to chess.

I've tried to play. I know vaguely what the pieces do, but I've found that since I don't know the basic strategies, I am pretty much either bound to play against someone else who only vaguely knows what they're doing or get my ass handed to me.

I have the same problem with Settlers of Catan....
If you’re interested in learning, Dr. Wolf is an amazing app that teaches chess. I played against someone last night that has lost every match we’ve played together and after one night of lessons on that app he finally beat me.

(also, I was talking to the person that recommended chess.com about sending me a match, sorry, should’ve clarified that).

Hello CmMrsn,

How good are you at Chess? I am somewhere between beginner and intermediate, I want to challenge you on Chess.com, but not sure I am ready to lose every game!

@ NerfHerder ... Chess.com has tutorials, and computer players you can play against for beginners. If you play against me, I can give you hints as we go along.

I have the same handle on Chess.com as I do here -- kdt26417.
Regards,
Kevin T.

I appreciate the offers, but I'm not really that interested in chess.

@CmMrsn No worries. I was attempting to tease, but apparently did a poor job of it.

I *should* be doing Shadowlands but I ended up with a bunch of freelance work so I haven't been able to log in since it dropped. And my kid SO wants me to play fortnite but I don't love it either. I *have* been playing Brawlarama with him and that's fun...

Hello CmMrsn,

How good are you at Chess? I am somewhere between beginner and intermediate, I want to challenge you on Chess.com, but not sure I am ready to lose every game!

@ NerfHerder ... Chess.com has tutorials, and computer players you can play against for beginners. If you play against me, I can give you hints as we go along.

I have the same handle on Chess.com as I do here -- kdt26417.
Regards,
Kevin T.
I just saw this message after the reply to my introduction thread. I’m about the same level. I’ll send a match your way if you haven’t already. I look forward to it.

@NerfHerder no worries friend! 😁👍
Are you into platformers? Hollow Knight is another awesome game. It’s really difficult though. I never actually finished it. 😅 It got the better of me.

Not OP, but I just ordered Superliminal on Steam... really looking forward to playing it!

I don't do many multiplayer/online games (I really like solo RPGs), so my favorites have been the last few in the Fallout series (3, New Vegas, and 4), and Skyrim, but I recently got an Oculus Quest 2 and I've been loving it. :)

It’s awesome! You’re sure to love it if you’re the puzzley type.
OMG, played and finished it this weekend. Absolutely loved it!

Downloaded "Down the Rabbit Hole" and "Superhot VR" for the Oculus, but I've also been having fun sideloading different songs into Beat Saber. Feliz Navidad was a fun one. Lol.

I play Minecraft. I like it because it's so open-ended. You can use it to build things, explore, go into battle, and so much more.

I like Fantasy Strike. It’s a pretty basic entry-level fighting game for folks like me that aren’t good at the real fighting games like Street fighter, MK, and tekken.

I have become a bit of a quarantine rocket league addict. It’s the only game I have played in years. I think the last game I spent this many hours enjoying was Diablo 1; way way back when online gaming was on dial up.

Rocket league is pretty cute, at least the bit I've played it with MiniMe. That and Brawlhalla.

Hi NerfHerder,

To help out PC game what type do you like the most to play? Are in the RPG game or more the first shooter game. You mentioned fortnite. I myself am playing SAO.( Sword art online) Not sure if you watch much Anime, but like the Series of SAO. You can find the game on Steam. It's free to play. There a lot of free game with Steam. That might help you fine a new game to play.

Back