Anyone read the novel Luster?

madgrey

I've had several poly and poly-adjacent folks recommend the novel Luster by Raven Leilani. However, from what I can glean, it's more about wealth/privilege, race, and general human awfulness than polyamory. (Also the husband at the center of it sounds like an absolute bag of dicks.)

OTOH, it's got stellar reviews, the excerpts I've read have amazing prose/characterization, and generally, I like this kind of literary stuff.

I can't decide if I want to read it, or if it'll just leave me disgusted.

Has anyone read it? Thoughts? Thanks in advance. :)

Magdlyn

I just read the NYT's review. It's not stellar. They said it was too broad and seemingly lazy in its prose.

And if it's about a "triad" of an older couple and a young unformed woman, count me out. Trite!

kdt26417

Official Greeter
This is the first time I've heard of that book, but I have to say, I think I personally would like a novel that featured polyamory to be a little more cheerful in its general demeanor than it sounds like this one is. Just my impression.

Gmeter

Try "Forbidden Pleasure" by Lora Leigh. My wife recommended I read it and I loved it. I would have preferred a little more erotica, but it's still a good read.