Invitation to participate in study on consensual non-monogamy [fixed link]

Hornetprof

Hello, my name is Dr. Sharon M. Flicker and I am a psychology professor at California State University, Sacramento. I invite you to participate in this study, which seeks to better understand the experiences of individuals in consensually non-monogamous relationship. If you volunteer to participate, you will be asked to answer questions about yourself, your relationship, and your emotions and thoughts. Participation in this online, anonymous study takes approximately 20-40 minutes (depending on how many partners you have). To participate in this study, you must be an English-speaking adult (18+) in a consensually non-monogamous relationship with at least one partner with at least one other partner. You will have the opportunity to be entered into a raffle for a $25 Amazon gift card (approx. 1 in 20 chance of winning). Please email [email protected] if you would like to be entered into the raffle without participating in the study.

To access the study, use this link (password is CNM2021):
https://csus.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_41Oe9yRsLSVmqjA?Source=polyamory.com

Last edited:
Apparently I'm not authorized to access this study. Do you have geographical boundaries to the study that you don't mention above? Will my IP address be blocked?

Apparently I'm not authorized to access this study. Do you have geographical boundaries to the study that you don't mention above? Will my IP address be blocked?
Thank you for letting me know. I am not sure what the issue is but it is no geographical boundaries. I will work on it.

Just let me know when your link is working, and I will try to do your study.

Gave up on page 1 as I didn't feel I could give meaningful responses.

Edited to remove more accurate reasons for giving up by request of the researcher (who actually asked me to delete my post in entirety due to risking the integrity of participant self selection.)

Last edited:
Sorry! It is a relationship-based study.
Having had poly relationships but currently single and dating I could have answered based on past partners/relationships but the questions were not worded that way. Only for people currently in relationships

Sorry! It is a relationship-based study.
If you're going to study polyamory, a basic piece of information is that this is just one of MANY ways to be polyamorous. It's like saying that you're studying the US and then, oops, this survey is for white people only. I really encourage you to begin again, learn more about polyamory and then launch a survey that actually speaks to the polyamorous community. As it is now, you're going to get flawed and skewed results that are of little value for studying actual polyamory because your survey excludes people who are not in a narrowly defined, couple centric relationship - and that is a significant percentage of polyamorous people.

*V centric.

The information pages state that this study will ask about two partners and up to four metamours.

I understand about studying a limited portion of the poly community, research often does define their participant demographic quite narrowly in order to study a specific aspect of something. This researcher is not studying polyamory, she's studying a particular type of polycule. That's okay.

Hello Hornetprof,

I have completed your study, it was not hard to do, it took me about 55 minutes. (I have one partner, and she has one other partner besides me.)

Hopefully that helps you in your research.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

This researcher is not studying polyamory, she's studying a particular type of polycule. That's okay.
This is from her information page. I'm not sure where it says that the study targets a narrow segment only. Maybe I missed it?

"I am conducting this research study to examine the interpersonal and intrapersonal experiences of individuals engaged in consensually non-monogamous relationships...this study will help clinicians and researchers better understand the experiences of individuals in consensually non-monogamous relationships."

I can't get back to that page now I started the survey (which is a concern within itself) but from the description of participant criteria, I gathered that the research was specific to a limited style of polyamory. It is a pity that the more specific description didn't make it into the paragraph you quoted.

Current research interests:

"Identifying personality predictors of attitudes towards and willingness to engage in various forms of consensual non-monogamy."

I thought some of those questions were a little MBTI ish...

Also, her research bio specifically states research interest in Americans.

Last edited:
I understand about studying a limited portion of the poly community, research often does define their participant demographic quite narrowly in order to study a specific aspect of something. This researcher is not studying polyamory, she's studying a particular type of polycule. That's okay.

I hear you, and I agree that gathering data for research is difficult, and the more intricate the problem is the harder it will be to get meaningful data from a study.

However, I disagree that this is intentional in this case (or in any of the other surveys we've seen stumble through here). Given their broad mission statement "Identifying personality predictors of attitudes towards and willingness to engage in various forms of consensual non-monogamy", I would say that their gathering data about one very specific relationship configuration merely shows that they don't understand the subject matter, not that they are trying to get a concise sample.

Back