Need help from people in non-monogamous relationships

SexResearcher

Hello!

I'm a sex researcher and we really need help from people in non-monogamous relationships. We are doing a study on people's attitudes towards sex. Most studies have previously used heterosexual monogamous couples, but we want to include a diverse range of relationships and commitment structures. We would really appreciate it if you took this survey!

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4256952/thinkSEX

The How You Think About Sex Study…
• Is voluntary
• Can be completed online
• Is SHORT (takes 25-30 minutes)
• Offers individual feedback – comparing your responses to those of thousands of others on:
 Optimism, Emotional stability, Sex drive
 Comfort with casual sex, & Sexual adventurousness

• Includes an optional follow-up survey
 Very short (5-10min)
 Completed online
 6-months after completing the main survey
• Open to all sexual identities & orientations (gay, lesbian, straight, transgender, queer)

Dagferi

I stopped taking your survery at the point where you ask about relationship status.

You have no choice for people with multiple long term committed relationships. The only "poly" choice you have is casually dating more than one person. WTF. Long term relationships with multiple partners do not count?

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
a bit touchy, eh?

The place I live isn't listed on most websites for shipping, I don't find that insulting however...

Pull your head in. There was no need to belittle Dagferi. Dagferi is completely justified in their observation that the researcher is presenting a survey that excludes a significant portion of the non monogamous community.

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
but we want to include a diverse range of relationships and commitment structures.

And already you've excluded some potential participants as noted above.

I hope you identify this in your write up as a limitation of the research, and perhaps recommend that pilot surveys be brought to this message board as we get these scenarios fairly often and are often very forthcoming with observations and suggestions for survey design.

HurtandConfused

Pull your head in. There was no need to belittle Dagferi. Dagferi is completely justified in their observation that the researcher is presenting a survey that excludes a significant portion of the non monogamous community.

Was that belittling??

There are over 100,000 people where I live that are excluded. Just seems a bit confrontational to throw a WTF at something that seems like a very reasonable oversight... I never heard about poly until a few months ago, getting upset that everyone doesn't automatically know or represent this tiny fraction of relationships seems a bit touchy, imo.

Evie

Kaitiaki
Staff member
Was that belittling??

...getting upset that everyone doesn't automatically know or represent this tiny fraction of relationships seems a bit touchy, imo.

1. Yes
2. Again with the "touchy" - in what world isn't that a loaded sentiment?!

And you hadn't heard of polyamory, but in this case a researcher cannot be afforded the same right to ignorance. You didn't need to know until recently, fair enough, but a researcher doesn't have that luxury. They should have done better desk research before their survey design, or picked it up in a pilot study.

Dagferi

A shipping address isn't the same as coming onto a POLYAMORY message board where the majority of the people practice and strive for long term relationships with MULTIPlE partners and eliminating them from the survery pool. The ONLY choice in this survery for those with multiple partners was I am casually dating more than one person.

I am not a swinger or just casually dating either of my partners. They are BOTH very much my life partners and husbands.

They came HERE and requested input. This isnt some survery that was searching for data elsewhere.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
The survey asked for my email address, and I just don't give out my email address. Sorry ...

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
So I tried it again; it turns out you can just leave the email space blank (which is what I did). It was no short survey though, it took me like an hour and 40 minutes.

PurpleSun

Sounds Sketchy

No thanks, and from other responses, it seems that this "researcher" leaves out polyamorous relationships altogether. And who knows what they'll do with the information? Waste of time, and exploitative to boot. No thanks.

Dagferi

Yep another reasearch project only interested in painting polyamory as hookups.