New to polygamy/Advice/starting out

• Thread starter Deleted member 411315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 411315

Hey guys! So my boyfriend of 6 years just introduced a Polygamous relationship thought and I need advice! I’m not opposed to the idea but I know nothing on it foreal! So if you guys can share your thoughts and advice and experiences I would truly appreciate it! And if any female 21-30yrs old is in the Detroit MI area that wants to explore the idea with us let me know 😅

Polygamy means being married to more than one person. Polygamy is illegal in the Western world. If you belong the FLDS (Mormon) religion, or some other sect, you may be considering a sister-wife situation (like in the TV show Big Love), but again, that's illegal.

If you and your husband are considering polyamory, having more than one (unmarried) partner, we can help. I'd recommend reading the book Opening Up, and browsing the More Than Two website. It can be extremely difficult for a MF couple to find and successfully "share" one woman between them. I don't recommend it. It's much better to date individually. You get your own other partner(s), and he gets his own other partners. This is much less complicated. Really!

Read this:

Greetings NatashaMari3,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

I would recommend you start by reading Poly FAQ. Then read the book, "Opening Up: a guide to creating and sustaining open relationships," by Tristan Taormino. Finally, immerse yourself in the boards and threads of this forum. See what questions those raise for you, and post those questions. Polyamory is a highly complex relationship model; it takes quite awhile to learn how to navigate it.

There are two especially important things you need to keep in mind, about polyamory, from the very beginning. First, all poly relationships must be done with the knowledge and consent of all within the relationship web. Without consent, there is no poly. Second, transparent communication is vital, quality and quantity. Never assume you're on the same page, get confirmation from all of your partners. I'd say 90% of the problems that arise in polyamory are the result of miscommunications.

Start with the above, and take it from there.
Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Back