Poly Couples Wanted For Student Documentary (Based in Michigan But Can Travel

dieselSPE

Hello!

Are you currently in a relationship with more than one partner? If so I would love for you to be a part of my upcoming student documentary!

I am a senior film student at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and my specialty over the past four years has been in LGBT filmmaking and documentary making.

For the sake of total disclosure, I identify as a gay male which drives the majority of my research. The purpose of the film is not to criticize or affirm polyamorous (multiple partner) relationships, but rather explore your everyday lives together and the story of how your relationship came to be. I'm also interested in investigating why poly relationships lack the general stigma that is often seen in heterosexual society.

So, what's in it for you?
As a student and especially as a student filmmaker I can not offer to pay participants for their involvement in the documentary (should the film receive some sort of award or grant I would be happy to share though after expenses), but what I can offer is a chance for you to tell your stories and for you to play a part in the validation and acceptance of LGBT lifestyles. Very little exposure of poly relationships have been made to both mainstream academia and society at large so you would be a significant contributor to that being changed. You would also have my undying gratitude for life and free copies of the finished film (on DVD or Blu-ray).

So…
If this project sounds like it would be something you might want to be a part of, please email me and we could set up a iChat or Skype call and go from there. I am hoping to begin filming towards the end of October, finish the film in late November or early December and submit it to the Lightworks student film festival at the University of Michigan near the end of December (which you would be more than welcome to attend!). I am based in Ann Arbor but I may be able to travel up to 300 miles from my home depending on university grant approval.

Thank you for your consideration,
-Jordan

Samples of my work:
www.kittyfishumich.blogspot.com (My production blog)
www.vimeo.com/29310090 (“Pitch” video for this film)
www.vimeo.com/11175815 (“Emet (truth)” my award winning film about a man in transition)(2010)
www.lsa.umich.edu/sac/ (University of Michigan film department website)

I am hoping to begin filming towards the end of October, finish the film in late November or early December

Whew! That's fast!

Yep, I know! Unfortunately that's just the way that the semester shakes out since we only have four months total of class. What is most likely going to happen is that I'll premier a short 15-20 minute version this go round and then extend it when I have more time.

Sounds like an excellent project, but very, very quick. Perhaps you can somehow fold in the weakness (too little time) as a strength -- if you're really on your toes.

Keep us posted on progress! (I'd volunteer, but I'm just not yet ready to go that public about my situation. It's one thing to be willing to tell friends and aquaintances, but.... Besides, I'm just beginning to explore a new relationship which is too young.)

Poly Couples Wanted For Student Documentary (Based in Michigan But Can Travel)

Hello!

Are you currently in a relationship with more than one partner? If so I would love for you to be a part of my upcoming student documentary!

I am a senior film student at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and my specialty over the past four years has been in LGBT filmmaking and documentary making.

For the sake of total disclosure, I identify as a gay male which drives the majority of my research. The purpose of the film is not to criticize or affirm polyamorous (multiple partner) relationships, but rather explore your everyday lives together and the story of how your relationship came to be. I'm also interested in investigating why poly relationships lack the general stigma that is often seen in heterosexual society.

So, what's in it for you?
As a student and especially as a student filmmaker I can not offer to pay participants for their involvement in the documentary (should the film receive some sort of award or grant I would be happy to share though after expenses), but what I can offer is a chance for you to tell your stories and for you to play a part in the validation and acceptance of LGBT lifestyles. Very little exposure of poly relationships have been made to both mainstream academia and society at large so you would be a significant contributor to that being changed. You would also have my undying gratitude for life and free copies of the finished film (on DVD or Blu-ray).

So…
If this project sounds like it would be something you might want to be a part of, please email me and we could set up a iChat or Skype call and go from there. I am hoping to begin filming towards the end of October, finish the film in late November or early December and submit it to the Lightworks student film festival at the University of Michigan near the end of December (which you would be more than welcome to attend!). I am based in Ann Arbor but I may be able to travel up to 250 miles from my home depending on university grant approval.

Thank you for your consideration,
-Jordan

Samples of my work:
www.kittyfishumich.blogspot.com (My production blog)
www.vimeo.com/29310090 (“Pitch” video for this film)
www.vimeo.com/11175815 (“Emet (truth)” my award winning film about a man in transition)(2010)
www.lsa.umich.edu/sac/ (University of Michigan film department website)

I certainly plan to! It is going to be a very ambitious project given the travel, timing and research needed but I think that if I can pull it off I'll be able to present a film unlike any seen at the university which is exciting. Good luck with your new relationship by the way, and if you ever feel like sharing your story (on or off camera) please let me know :)
-J

When you say "in a relationship with more than one partner", do you mean a triad, where all three are involved romantically with one another? I ask because I followed your links and saw that you defined poly as "a relationship with three partners" on your blog. Might help to find participants to clarify that.

-R

Back