Reading the Book "More Than Two"

@ref2018 oh, wow. Thank you. Apparently I have been living on an island without any connection to this part of the internet... This makes my project of re-reading the book quite so interesting!

There was this thing in the book that cought my attention as I read it - in Chapter 4: Tending Your Self. Eve's story about worthiness; how she had never experienced being worthy to such extent that she could not even imagine how it would feel like. Like, how?? That part of the book would totally make sense with the claim that Franklin would choose young, vulnerable women...

@ref2018 oh, wow. Thank you. Apparently I have been living on an island without any connection to this part of the internet... This makes my project of re-reading the book quite so interesting!

There was this thing in the book that cought my attention as I read it - in Chapter 4: Tending Your Self. Eve's story about worthiness; how she had never experienced being worthy to such extent that she could not even imagine how it would feel like. Like, how?? That part of the book would totally make sense with the claim that Franklin would choose young, vulnerable women...

I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve either side of that clusterfuck, it's just something I thought you should know about so you can have all the angles. Any story has "more than two" sides, after all: mine, yours, and the truth.

There are a lot of good ideas in More Than Two. The problem is that *both* of the co-authors don't always practice what they preach.

I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve either side of that clusterfuck, it's just something I thought you should know about so you can have all the angles. Any story has "more than two" sides, after all: mine, yours, and the truth.

There are a lot of good ideas in More Than Two. The problem is that *both* of the co-authors don't always practice what they preach.

Well... to me, it is not the point of believing or disbelieving stuff about the authors per se. Apparently they have ended up in something totally different than is suggested in the beginning of their book: "We propose that there is a different way to write this story. Boy meets girl, they fall in love, girl meets another boy, they fall in love, girl and boy meet another boy, girl meets girl, girl meets boy, and they all live happily ever after."

I have learned some things about how the human brain works... Now there is a new context for me to read this book. This context will inevitably color my reading experience. Even if the text remains absolutely the same, I will interpret it differently now that it is obvious that these authors in the end did not have these excellent relationship skills that they write about. My brain will see evidence about it in the text most likely in places where there might not be any, actually. There are studies of this subject, and there is no reason to think that I'd be any different from my fellow humans in this sense.

Another good thorough book about polyamory, without the difficulty with the authors' backstory, is Opening Up by Tristan Taormino.

Another good thorough book about polyamory, without the difficulty with the authors' backstory, is Opening Up by Tristan Taormino.
I have not read Opening Up because I always thought that it is written for monogamous couples who are opening up - I might have this part wrong, though. As for me never having been in a monogamous relationship I did not think this would benefit me. However, maybe I take another look at it.

I thought "Opening Up" was good.

I also enjoyed "Love in Abundance" by Kathy Labriola. A lot of it is free in her articles, but it was nice to read it all together in a book along with some bits that were not articles.

Galagirl
Thank you for the suggestions! I definitely prefer reading books - real books on paper - to any internet articles, so I might just get Labriola's book as well. My project of poly book reading might just change into reading several ones and comparing them. :)

I have not read Opening Up because I always thought that it is written for monogamous couples who are opening up - I might have this part wrong, though. As for me never having been in a monogamous relationship I did not think this would benefit me. However, maybe I take another look at it.
Yeah, I think the title is sadly misleading, because it is definitely geared towards anyone who wants to have non-monogamous relationships! It's not just for couples at all. It's also for singles who want to "open up" to ENM.

Last edited:
Back