Smelling the flowers

Gosh, what a unique property! Fingers crossed for you on the purchase.

I'm glad B found some peace with her Mother's passing in those last days, and that she has you both to comfort her.

Gosh, what a unique property! Fingers crossed for you on the purchase.

I'm glad B found some peace with her Mother's passing in those last days, and that she has you both to comfort her.
Thank you, Evie.

We got the property! My youngest son asked if he could go into this venture with us, so now it's Bond, Tay, and me. Super stoked. Close on the 30th.

Omg, so happy for you!!!

Update on that property: we pulled the plug because it wasn't zoned properly for that kind of use. But now we're interested in a 160 acre campground up north not far from where I grew up.
  • 26-site campground
    • 8 of which are serviced with water, sewer, and power; 4 with water and power; and the remaining 14 with water
  • 4 seasonal cabins
    • each with running water, 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and heat
  • 1.3 acre swimming pond
  • child play area
  • open pole shed
  • 14.5 tillable acres
  • beaver pond for waterfowl hunting
  • miles of trails for hiking and UTV-riding
We can't see it until the 18th of this month. My youngest is going to part of this venture and he's dying having to wait. Plans are to convert it to glamping. We'll have to do it in phases. Projections are fantastic for ROI.

Other happenings: Wil was in Kenya when Omnicron was discovered in South Africa. B was sure he'd not be able to get back to the US, but that fear wasn't actualized. He did need to modify his travels a bit, because the number of quarantine days in the UK was almost as long as his intended visit, so he skipped going there and instead he extended his stay in the Netherlands.

My youngest son's GF won't get the Covid vaccine, so we didn't get to see him over the holidays. I'm so sad about her stance. I may contact her directly and let her know why we didn't see them and how this is going to affect our relationships going forward. I have a feeling he's shielding her.

Speaking of Covid, WP is recovering from it. I wasn't in direct contact with him, but B saw him last Wednesday and he started getting sick on Thursday, so we've all gotten tested and all of our tests were negative. We may test again tomorrow or the next day to be doubly sure.

If we get that campground I'll likely be the one to run at least the first summer/year which means I'll finally be able to quit my day job. Finally!!! Although, I don't know that I want to be that many hours from Bond and B.

Ah, the hot tub died at my lake rental. I am meeting with a sales person on Friday to see what might work for me. I hope it's less than $8K for what I need. It may be twice that. My plan is to put the new hot tub on the patio outside the lower level rather than indoors like the present one. I'll use that space for a kitchenette/bar. I think the guests will love it.

B gave me two dozen roses on NYE. Just when I was bracing myself to have a heart-to-heart with her about our relationship. Those flowers really made me feel loved, though, so for now I'll let things ride.

Here is a list of ideas I've jotted down.

Tiny cabins
Safari tents on platforms: similar to this
CampWandawegaSafariTent.JPG
Domes (similar to this: LUXURY GLAMPING DOME! | Full Airbnb Geodesic Dome Tour!)

Tiny cabins and domes will have water/septic and therefore bathrooms and kitchens

Four existing cabins (all are 2 bedrooms/1 bath) : new flooring, fresh paint, updated light fixtures, bathroom vanities, toilets, and showers as needed, new furniture including mattresses

outdoor cooking areas/kitchens for tents
Possibly like this:
rusty-s-roost-river-glamping-rustys-roost-river-camp-toe-river.jpg
hot tubs for cabins and domes, maybe also tents
plethora of string lights - each site will have some lights

Ideas for large field:
group fire pit (in addition to individual fire pits)
bandstand

horseshoe pits
corn hole
ladder ball
kick ball diamond
Frisbee golf
volleyball
badminton
corn hole

Centrally placed (large field) big building that should have space for: (future build)
store (basic groceries, wood, ice, souvenirs, etc.)
restrooms and showers
laundry
linens/supplies
game room

Pond:
swim platform
beach umbrellas
lounge chairs
tables

Play Area:
kids obstacle course
tree stump checkers with stumps for stools
balancing beams using stumps and 4" x 4" wood beams
sand (or corn) box with diggers
swings

Basic campground things we'll need:
picnic tables
garbage cans
grills
Adirondack chairs
mower(s)
golf cart and/or ATV and trailer

movie screen
projector

Activities/Entertainment
live music
BBQ? - hire someone to do a pig roast once a month?
scavenger hunts
telescope nights
snowshoes ?
geocaching
splash pad ?
trebuchet ? - launch pumpkins in the fall

Scheduled Activities
Bingo
Candy Bar Bingo
ice cream night "Make Your Own Sundae"
Hot dog roast night - provide hot dogs
August - corn roast
October - pumpkin painting
Face painting
Slip 'n slide Day(s)
Chili cook-off

Lots of ideas that'll take time to actualize. :)

The campground sounds fantastic, and lots of great ideas on activities and what to do with the land! Best of luck with the purchase.

I would suggest that you respect your son and his GF in their medical decisions. If you have the conversation you're considering with her, she is likely going to take it as you subtly threatening her that she better get a vaccine she doesn't want 'or else' you will shun her and refuse to be with her. This will result in pushing her away and quite possibly pushing your son away also. If she respects your decision to get this vaccine, you should also respect her medical decisions to decide what's right for her.

I would suggest that you respect your son and his GF in their medical decisions. If you have the conversation you're considering with her, she is likely going to take it as you subtly threatening her that she better get a vaccine she doesn't want 'or else' you will shun her and refuse to be with her. This will result in pushing her away and quite possibly pushing your son away also. If she respects your decision to get this vaccine, you should also respect her medical decisions to decide what's right for her.
WH, I understand the delicacy of the situation. Thanks for your words of caution. :)

If/when I do talk to her I am going to be very careful and diplomatic. I do want her to know why we've barely seen them and how it's going to impact our relationship. I don't believe her non-vaccine status is due to an actual medical issue that would prevent her from getting the vaccine. From the little I've gleaned from my son it's more of a "you can't tell me what to do" attitude. Ironically, she's a nurse. A young nurse with less than a year of experience in the field. If it were just a matter of me taking a risk and seeing them, that would be one thing, but I have to consider everyone in my pod and my pod has said they are not comfortable with that exposure. They have also said that if I want to see her then they'll just avoid me for two weeks. But that's a considerable amount of time to not see your GF and I need to consider Bond as he can't really avoid me because we cohabitate.

It's a crappy situation. I truly believe this is the person he is going to marry. I would like to get to know her and I would really like to be able to see my son more.

@Evie, nice! Lots of room in that tent. :)

We're still in the attempting to come to an agreement phase on the campground acquisition. Their counter offer changed the close date to June 15th, which will not work whatsoever. The sellers do not want to leave Florida early to remove their personal property from the property. We're suggesting they rent pods and we'll load them with their stuff, or they could hire someone to move their stuff into them and then they can deal with it whenever they please. I hope they come around to that idea or we're going to have to walk away from the dream.

Arg, I sent a text message to the seller's agent asking if they were at all open to putting their things in pods until they can get up here and he said that they countered with an April closing date. What?! WP hasn't said a word about that. Grrr. I sent him a text asking about it, so I'm waiting to hear his explanation. Anyway, it's good news and we may be able to move forward. Whew!

Hello. It's been many weeks since I've updated this space. Here's the condensed version of the happenings in our lives. We're about to close on the campground (hopefully) on the 19th. This has been so complicated and drawn out. We'll be busting ass to get it ready for summer.

Far eclipsing the campground acquisition is B being diagnosed with breast cancer in early March. She has a 35 mm mass along with 5-6 satellite masses. The good news is that it hasn't metastasized. The treatment plan is 6 rounds of chemo, spaced every 3 weeks apart, a mastectomy, reconstructive surgery, and radiation, and hormone blockers for 5 years. We're learning a lot and making plans on how best to support her and her kids through this. Bond is accompanying her to her appointments to help keep things straight. Please send positive thoughts our way.

My big news, which depends upon the purchase of the campground going through, is that I'll be retiring this month! I cannot wait to not spend my days in an office. If the purchase doesn't go through I'm going to be pretty devastated.

One more big ticket items that has happened since I posted here last; my middle son and his gf broke up. She wanted to get married and he isn't ready for that. I really thought they were on the path to marriage. She is a stunning and lovely young lady. My only issue with her was that she refused to get vaccinated for COVID-19, which meant we didn't see them much at all.

One more thing: I'm going to KY to visit my middle son and granddaughter over Easter. I'll fly to Nashville and he'll pick me up, and on the Monday following Easter I'll drive back. He borrowed my car in November, purchased a car in January, and now I'm retrieving it. I'll get to see my granddaughter play T-ball. OMG, I cannot wait. Littles playing T-ball is hilarious! I bought her an Easter dress and I'd like to find some other gifts for her.

My grandson turns 16 on the 10th. I don't know what to get him and he's rather angry at me for not seeing him due to his unvaccinated state. Heartbreaking to be in this situation. I miss him so much.

I really hope B's treatment goes as smoothly as possible and results in quick remission.

Fingers crossed for the campground! I so hope to visit you one day.

I really hope B's treatment goes as smoothly as possible and results in quick remission.

Fingers crossed for the campground! I so hope to visit you one day.
Thank you so much, Evie. And I'd love to meet you one day. :)

DNA testing came back (actually more to come at a later date) and B has 3 cancer genes. She'll be having a double mastectomy, and likely a hysterectomy. Once treatment is underway and things are more even keel they'll have her children tested as they may have inherited the genes, too. They did a biopsy yesterday so they can grow cells and test them to learn more. They should have more information about that in 8 weeks. She had them do a full spectrum of genetic testing, but Bond said they aren't discussing everything at once so they don't overwhelm her.

She starts chemo tomorrow. It'll be an all-day thing. She has to give herself shots for a number of days following the chemo to boost her white blood cells so she doesn't go neutropenic.

She met with the plastic surgeon yesterday. She'll have reconstructive surgery at some point. He will use belly fat to create new boobies. He told Bond and B that this method is used about 5% of the time across the country, but he does this style about 75% of the time, because it's better and he's one of the few surgeons that can do it. We're really lucky to have top notch medical care in our city.

I'm retiring on Friday. I'm scared shitless, but it's also a huge relief to finally be done with application programming. I made a FB post announcing it yesterday and holy moly! So many well wishes (65) and reactions (115). I didn't think I had that many friends on FB!

What a full on time this is for you! Wishing you and yours all the very best for the journeys ahead.

We closed on the campground on the 19th. 😊 My son had to give new power of attorney so I could sign for him, as he was still at drill.

I've completed a lot of the demo on the bathhouse ladies bathroom. Bond came up on the weekend, but we didn't accomplish much. I'm in Madison until Wednesday morning. I wanted some time with B and Bond, but I need to get back up there and get busy.

I've been trying to get our new business banking account going and the little bank we're using is not making it easy. So much hinges upon it too. I can't apply for a loan we have lined up until it's going. After a number of obstacles the account was finally activated today and then their online stuff was down. Sigh.

I've ordered a dumpster and it arrives on Thursday or Friday. Tay will be there Friday night. I don't know if Bond will be coming up this weekend. I hope he does, but I'm doubtful.

We haven't turned the water on at the campground yet. It's been so blasted cold. I'm really hoping we can turn it on soon. Last week I kept driving back to Eau Claire and sleeping/showering at Wil's. It's nearly an hour each way. Ugh.

There is so much to do.

Oh wow, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!!!!!!

Back