Gaming and Gamers

My gaming started a couple years after Nintendo came out. I was given $5 allowance and my friend's parents would take us to the local mall and I'd spend it all on Space Invaders and pinball machines. I was given a Gameboy when it first came out and Tetris...it was all over. Over the course of the first 6 months I had it, the money we spent on batteries could've bought at least another Gameboy. Dr. Mario, Metroid II and Zelda were also in heavy rotation. I eventually convinced my parents to get me a Nintendo. All I had on it were Super Mario Bros and Duckhunt (that damn dog's laugh haunts me to this day...lol) were my main games.

I saved up enough money to buy a Super Nintendo outright and my parents bought the game package of Super Mario 1, 2 & 3 (all in one cartridge) and Zelda (again...lol) are the games jumping out at me at the moment. I remember getting SOOOO excited when they came out with the conversion cartridge that allowed me to play Gameboy games on the SNES.

Then we got a computer...a Packard Bell (which no longer exists) with Windows 95 and companies were still coming out with games for DOS. The 3 games I started with (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Koshan Conspiracy) were all DOS-based and the computer HATED DOS. After much trial-and-error, I eventually created a boot disk so I could play them without having to reformat & reload drivers (which was at least a 2-day project back then).

From that point on, it was mostly RPG's and First-Person Shooters on the computer. I still had one foot in console gaming, though. We opted for the Nintendo-64 instead of the Playstation, and I played mostly either Mario 64, Super Smash Bros Vol 2, or Zelda. Notable PC games were Duke Nukem, Unreal Tournament (LOTS of all-night LAN parties in college with this one), Diablo (I & II), Fallout series, Quake II Arena, Ultima Online, Heretic, and there's countless others that I can visualize it but can't think of the title. When I had high-speed internet at home, I found a torrent with all the music from Diablo II...lol. Took me a while to find it, but this also means SOMEone spent all the time to pull the music from the game! lol

I had a PS2, and I remember being confused with the new button setup, being used to letter disignations. I played mostly NHL games, Guitar Hero (1 & 2), Final Fantasy 10, GTA III (which I would just waste time driving around & no quests...lol), and a racing game by Atari in which I could play pong while it loaded (the title escapes me).

I'm at the point where I play games incessantly for about 4~6 months then take about 2 months off. I have a PS3, and the games I have are NHL 11, Skyrim, LA Noire, and FF 13.

I don't have internet at home, so no gamer tags for my PS3.

Did you ever play Final Fantasy VI (Japan)/III (US)? That was one of my favorite SuperNintendo games.

Then we got a computer...a Packard Bell (which no longer exists) with Windows 95 and companies were still coming out with games for DOS. The 3 games I started with (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Koshan Conspiracy) were all DOS-based and the computer HATED DOS. After much trial-and-error, I eventually created a boot disk so I could play them without having to reformat & reload drivers (which was at least a 2-day project back then).

I had a PS2, and I remember being confused with the new button setup, being used to letter disignations. I played mostly NHL games, Guitar Hero (1 & 2), Final Fantasy 10, GTA III (which I would just waste time driving around & no quests...lol), and a racing game by Atari in which I could play pong while it loaded (the title escapes me).

I'm at the point where I play games incessantly for about 4~6 months then take about 2 months off. I have a PS3, and the games I have are NHL 11, Skyrim, LA Noire, and FF 13.

I don't have internet at home, so no gamer tags for my PS3.
Hated DOS? I remember I used to play a fair few DOS games on my 95 and 98 machines. =P It especially doesn't make sense, as 95 and 98 were actually built on top of DOS. and i remember once it came to XP, you have to find a new way of playing them, which was DOSbox. I don't even think you can use that anymore though. Unless you're still using XP for some reason.

If you thought the switch from PS1 controls to PS2 controls was weird, what about to PS3? There was a huge change in controls there. =P I know suddenly my thumb finally felt at rest from that dreaded X button. XD the constant tapping, smashing, and holding it down as long as I could without my hand getting tired... XD

Hated DOS? I remember I used to play a fair few DOS games on my 95 and 98 machines. =P It especially doesn't make sense, as 95 and 98 were actually built on top of DOS. and i remember once it came to XP, you have to find a new way of playing them, which was DOSbox. I don't even think you can use that anymore though. Unless you're still using XP for some reason.

If you thought the switch from PS1 controls to PS2 controls was weird, what about to PS3? There was a huge change in controls there. =P I know suddenly my thumb finally felt at rest from that dreaded X button. XD the constant tapping, smashing, and holding it down as long as I could without my hand getting tired... XD

Yeah, I always got the Blue Screen of Death whenever I tried loading a DOS-based game while in Windows, for whatever reason. I think it was more the computer itself than the OS, but the line between OS-based issue & computer-based issue was pretty hazy. Once I wrote my own autoexec.bat & config.sys as well as the mouse drivers, I was able to switch between DOS & Windows prettty easily.

I was referring to switching from Nintendo's letter-based designation to PS's shape-based...but took me maybe 1/2 a day to get used to it.

MusicalRose said:
Did you ever play Final Fantasy VI (Japan)/III (US)? That was one of my favorite SuperNintendo games.

I did, after I discovered ROM's. I didn't really get into RPG's until after I got into PC gaming; up to that point, Zelda was really the only RPG I was exposed to and had any interest in. I definitely like FF 6, though. :)

I was that kid who owned a few of the "fun" games for the NES, but owned Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. >.> I also actually beat Battle Toads when I was a kid. Tried it again a few months later and my gaming style and preference in games has totally killed my twitch gaming reflexes. I now lean more to RPGs for the most part with a few third person shooters. I can't stand FPS games. With all my experiences in the military, playing paintball, combat sports, and LARPing in the woods I've come to rely on all my senses and my twitchy RL body reflexes (I can't twitch move just my thumb, but I can dodge, twist, and generally make my whole self a hard target while returning fire. Go figure. -.-). FPS games make me feel like I'm running around with a box taped to my face, my arms in a brace that's connected to my head, ear muffs on, and weights on all my limbs. I feel like a crippled gimp so I usually avoid them. Third person balances out the crappy lack of senses with at least a wider visual arc.

That said, I've been playing Fall of Cybertron, Skyrim (which is okay even in first person because i'm not trying to compete with other humans as to who is the better gimp), and The Secret World. Thinking of picking up Guild Wars 2 soon because lots of my friends are playing it. Now that City of Heroes is getting the axe (don't get me started on that) I need some kind of MMO to play.

I grew up on nes and snes (mario3, link to the past, megaman x, chrono trigger, mariorpg, earthbound, contra 3). My favorite pc games were Ascendancy, Civ 2, and Baldur's Gate. I spent so much time in all three of those. I played alot of n64 too! Then I started playing tibia, and eventually wow. Really happy I don't play mmorpgs anymore, just too time consuming and addicting for me... though arenas were fun when they first came out.

I picked up ut99 and ut 3 during that time too. Now I really just play League of Legends. Which I am happy to play with anyone here. Might be giving it up though if this computer dies :p

I use to play alot of mtg, now just the odd draft. Magic Workstation is pretty awesome if you like mtg! Its a free to play library/1v1 internet program. Its really great for testing ideas out in.

I don't really have an active group for Dnd anymore =/

Oh now I play nba2k and fifa sometimes too.

This feels obligatory, sorry if I missed it being posted :p

its pitch dark!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE

I can't believe you beat battletoads RunicWolf. Congrats!

I love PC gaming. My favorite series are 1) Half-life 2) Call of Duty, 3) Grand Theft Auto, and 4) Elder Scrolls (Skyrim, etc.). I also love flight simulators, baseball sims, and almost all the Star Wars titles. I also love BioShock, Deus Ex, and the entire Total War series.

Hello fellow gamers!

I have been gaming longer than I can remember (literally).

I started with the NES my dad had and continued to work my way up from there.

Some of. My favourite series are Zelda, Metal Gear, Soul Blade, Halo, Gran Turismo.

I love to play anything though with the exception of music, dancing, boxing, sports sims ect.

You can find me on XBL: Sublyte and https://steamcommunity.com/id/sublyte feel free to add me on either and hopefully we can get our game on! :)

My favorite game, don't laugh, is Atari Adventure.

I like the way it makes the most of a very simple game console. It's very artistic in that way.

You're right it does. It's definitely a classic. It's the Zelda series for me. Not as old or simple for sure but the stories 8n each of those games are incredible :)

Haven't played Zelda but I hear good things.

I like leauge of legends a lot but I'm terrible at it. I prefer MMOs. I played World of Warcraft for quite a long time.

On a side note, I know its cliche but anyone currently playing Fortnite? I'm getting slightly sick of playing but its a great time waster.

I like leauge of legends a lot but I'm terrible at it. I prefer MMOs. I played World of Warcraft for quite a long time.

On a side note, I know its cliche but anyone currently playing Fortnite? I'm getting slightly sick of playing but its a great time waster.

I beta'd wow and played an MMO of some sort basically from 1998 (ultima online) to about 2010 (back to wow for an expansion).

Right now I'm impatiently waiting for the "next wow" which i I dont even see being made yet... but I've currently been so busy the best I can do is watch other people play league on YouTube

Used to play the strategy Warcraft games (before Wow); I sometimes play Starcraft II, though.

On the whole I don't have much time for games, but these last few weeks I got nostalgic and have been replaying The Witcher III.

Wife and I are both pretty active gamers. She has a handful she usually sticks to but plays lots of hours (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, World of Warcraft) and I like RPGs most but play a pretty big variety aside from sports and First-Person Shooters like Call of Duty which I'm just really not into. I do also do a little game writing on the side so I occasionally get games to review, working through Dragon Quest XI right now and just got a review code for Valkyria Chronicles 4, so I'm neck deep in RPGs atm.

Back