I'm desperate to discuss this video on poly with other poly people -- it's the most incredible argument for poly I've ever seen (feminist angle)

@Solaronion you were "desperate" to discuss this video but have given no input to this conversation. Once we finish talking about broom, the thread is likely to peter out. Is there anything you actually wanted to discuss?

@Solaronion you were "desperate" to discuss this video but have given no input to this conversation. Once we finish talking about broom, the thread is likely to peter out. Is there anything you actually wanted to discuss?
Honestly, I felt a little embarrassed by a bunch of people early on saying they had seen this sort of thing before. I hadn't. So I've gone quiet and self-consciously started looking for other resources rather than force a discussion.

But the discussion was happening, you didn't need to force anything, just join in.

I see you are excited about polyamory and the possibilities it creates. You've found a forum here with quite a lot of experienced polyamorists, but there are also new people regularly who are somewhere between excited and trepidatious about polyamory.

There are some wonderful resources out there about polyamory, from podcasts to books to this forum. Have a read of some blogs here for a range of experiences of being poly.

Honestly, I felt a little embarrassed by a bunch of people early on saying they had seen this sort of thing before. I hadn't. So I've gone quiet and self-consciously started looking for other resources rather than force a discussion.

When I'm jazzed up about something I've discovered, and the people I'm trying to share it with come back with "old news dude, welcome to the party" it can take the wind out of the sails. So I get it.

What I recommend is honing in on a concept that you want to talk about or want some input on. That video in particular covered an absolute ton of ground, it meandered around quite a bit, so "let's talk about it" is pretty open ended and might not get the input you were looking for.

I don't want you to feel like we are putting you down though. It's a journey and anyone who says they've heard it all is probably not a good source for valid discussion :)

@Solaronion Yup, thanks for sharing the link. While most poly ideas weren't exactly new to me (well, the ideas I grasped, there was a digression towards feminism that I didn't), it's a good video, and I'm thinking about sending this to my brother.

Why are we only offered one model of relationship? Because...it suits the neo conservative agenda. It's expected. Marriage is institution and not necessarily relationship. I can ...mostly...be an unhappy place.

I watched the whole thing. Thank you for sharing.

Oops lol thanks for the correction. I thought that didn't look right. I don't think we have gorse in the US! I've never noticed it, anyway.
We do have Scotch Broom, which is similar but less "bushy". In some areas of the country, it's EXTREMELY invasive, while in this area, it's still available in nurseries. I couldn't keep it alive in my yard, lol.

In my neck of the US woods we don't have gorse, but we have invasive Scotch Broom, which looks similar to Gorse but presumably came from Scotland, not Ireland. It lines all the freeways and causes many allergies. I don't even think you can make tea out of the flower, but I guess you can use it as a broom in a pinch..
I need to read ALL the replies before replying myself, lol. Oops!

Reactions: Arc
I loved how they described polyamory as a big life. I want the same for my partner, I would give them the world if I could. I also want them to explore people and great experiences everywhere they can. One day I hope to be able to experience a family setting like the YouTuber where we can have a family that's happy and healthy, but encourages love for everyone, with the people they want.

Well said Haro ... that's what I want for my companions as well.

I need to read ALL the replies before replying myself, lol. Oops!
No worries, good to know there are some fellow scotchbroom-aware poly folk out there!

Broom is an absolute pest over here, too. But at the right time of year, if you're really quiet, you can hear the seed pods popping. There was heaps of it where I grew up, but the native bush has finally taken back over a lot of it.

Back