Kevin's Hetero MFM Poly-Fi V

kdt26417

Official Greeter
4:22 p.m., Monday the 5th

I caught up on everything yesterday (well, technically by a little after midnight). I'll probably do so again today, although we have the pop culture trivia game in about an hour, and that will burn more than an hour, in and of itself.

I won today's Chess game versus a computer bot, and technically it was a clean game, but I guess I was bummed that I took one move more than necessary to checkmate Jade. It was a really close game, which made it stressful. For a long time, we were down to each of us having a king and some pawns and one minor piece. She had a bishop, I had a knight. Because the board was so open by then, I considered the bishop to be more advantageous than the knight, especially since I don't consider myself to be very adept at working a knight. But, somehow I pulled through, and promoted two pawns. Checkmating is always ridiculously easy when you have two queens, so at that point, I was in my comfort zone.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
10:53 p.m., Tuesday the 6th

Not sure why I'm running so much later today, I probably won't get caught up on everything. I did go shopping with Snowbunny, so, that took up some time. But not that much.

In Chess, I played as black against (the bot) Jade. It ended up being a draw by repetition. The game didn't go great for me, my position was all mucked up, and I didn't want to wait around to get checkmated. As in at least one previous game, the key square that pulled me down was my pawn on f7. I just can't seem to get the pieces (read: a bishop) into position to protect that pawn -- not soon enough. Anyway, since the game was a draw, I'll go neither forward nor backward on my next bot game. I'll play as black again against Jade. Sure hope I can find a solution for the f7 problem.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
9:56 p.m., Wednesday the 7th

Surprisingly, I did catch up on everything yesterday. Just in the nick of time: The rule I made is that the latest I would stay up is until the cat's automatic feeder goes off. The feeder's clock runs fast, but it goes off a little after 1:00 a.m. ... and while Rainee eats, I log off (from Facebook or whatever) and do one last pit stop before turning in.

Today, Snowbunny and I got our first of two Covid vaccine shots. (Pfizer.) Brother-Husband has to wait a week to get (the first of) his. SB and I get our second shots in about three weeks, the 28th if I remember right.

In Chess, today's bot game was a draw by stalemate. Totally unnecessary, I could have easily won by then if I'd just been a little more careful. It's like me and losing queens, me and tracking possibilities along diagonals, it's a weakness I just can't seem to overcome. Needless to say I was bummed, I worked hard to get to that point in the game. I had just promoted a pawn, and with that queen on the board, I ... overestimated my position. Meanwhile, I still haven't solved the f7 problem, certainly not in any satisfying way. The game was nail-bitingly close right up until the finish. [hangs head] And I could have won.

So I guess I'll play as black against Jade again tomorrow -- third time in a row. Sigh. Playing on the 1300 level sucks.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
11:33 p.m., Thursday the 8th

I didn't do much on Chess.com today, because most of the afternoon (until about 6:25 p.m.) was consumed by doctor appointments. I did practice a little on my handheld traveling Chess computer. On that computer, I'm currently playing at an easy level -- I think 7th out of 60 "for fun" levels.

For dinner we had takeout from Red Lantern. Rainee has the runs, so we are trying to figure out how to get her to take meds, and we're switching out the food she eats. I hope she'll get feeling better soon.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
12:12 a.m., Saturday the 10th

I lost my Chess bot game today (yesterday). I didn't make any (what to me would be) simple mistakes. Instead, Jade got the best of me on positional (technical) errors I made. An area which continues to be way over my head. I feel like throwing my hands up, I feel disillusioned, either at myself, or at Chess, or both. Level 1300 is the wall that I cannot get past, beating my head against it though I try.

As far as I know, Rainee is doing better. She keeps me company even when I'm feeling down in the dumps.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
8:52 p.m., Sunday the 11th

I actually won my last two bot games (against Jade ... first I played as white, then as black), and I'm glad for the wins, but they were both arduous games, with me behind on material (I lost a rook in the second game, with no compensation) and not in a great position until the endgame. In other words, in both games it looked like I was going to lose, and I'm not sure how I dug myself out of that pit. Anyway the bot I will play next (probably tomorrow) will be "Nelson," whom I played against just one time previous, and lost. Apparently Nelson is very active with his queen. That's a problem for me, I guess I'll have to hope I can trade queens with him early in the game. Jade and Nelson are both level-1300 Chess bots. Not in my comfort zone.

I got completely caught up (including on Facebook) yesterday ... and it looks hopeful that I'll be able to do so again today. There's not much more to tell you. We had chicken fajitas for dinner, and SB made me a drinky-drink (gin and Squirt).