Kevin's Hetero MFM Poly-Fi V

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
10:29 p.m., Wednesday the 28th

Thanks opal.

I'll make today's entry short, and then I am turning in. I need to get up early tomorrow to start packing for our hotel stay (so people can view our house) all weekend (Thursday thru Monday). We leave here as soon as Snowbunny gets off work, around 3:30 p.m.

I lost today's bot game, not sure why but I bet part of it is the building stress from all the moving/selling uncertainty. That and, playing at Level 1300 sucks, it just sucks.

Evie

Hi Kevin,

Do you play the puzzles too? I got completely stuck on a bot and gave up playing it for aaaages but have just been playing puzzles. To my utter surprise, when I returned to that bot I beat it quite easily.

Best wishes for the move and everything.

Evie

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
1:43 p.m., Thursday the 29th

Hi Evie,

I've started doing the puzzles, most of them are very easy (which I like), but some are hard. I am also doing the lessons, but by now they're so far over my head, I think maybe I'm not getting all I'm supposed to from them.

I could of course select weaker bots than the 1300's, but what would be the point, I've already proven I can win on the lower levels. I know I need the practice, it's just frustrating/depressing when my opponent wins on tactics/strategy, which I'm no good at. I hate losing even one game, losing two in a row saps my confidence.

I'm not doing a bot game today, there's too much going on with the pending hotel stay. I'm actually glad I'm not doing a bot game today.

By the way, that previous game where I could have traded bishops? in hindsight, I don't think I could have traded bishops, I think it was already too late for me. Naycir did forcing moves from there on forward, she could have easily just ignored my bishop threat as I was forced to move my king every move until checkmate. [shrug] See? I suck at that type of thing. Naycir assembled a mating threat against me, and I didn't even notice.

Brother-Husband has a job now in New Mexico. In Rio Rancho (a suburb of Albuquerque). Receiving at Lowe's -- exactly the same job he has here (in Washington). He starts on I think May 17, so he barely has time to put in his two week notice here, then drive down there. Snowbunny will go with him and help drive, then she'll fly back. BH will stay at a friend's house there, temporarily.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
4:23 p.m., Friday the 30th

We're at the, hotel? motel? They have wifi, but it isn't great. Chess.com isn't very functional here, so I am going to skip doing bot games while I'm here. Obviously I'm glad for the excuse.

BH says he doesn't want SB to make the Yelm-to-Albuquerque trip twice ... so, he will do the trip by himself (in a couple of weeks).

SB thinks she and I will remain in Yelm until the end of next month (May). She is trying to think of a way to make the move less stressful for Rainee. Possibly Rainee and I will fly there. Like SB would drop us off at the SeaTac airport, and BH would pick us up at the Albuquerque airport. Perhaps by then we'll have a house? or at least an extended stay place. SB doesn't want to rush this, she wants to make sure we get the house (townhouse? condo?) that is right for us.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
12:48 p.m., Saturday the 1st

In my current Chess game versus SB, I made another stupid mistake. A missed opportunity. She has an advanced pawn, and I could have stopped it in its tracks while still maintaining a pawn wall blocking her king. All I had to do was move my H pawn forward one square. I was blind to that opportunity and instead started inching my king over to that side of the board. Fer dumb! I'm pretty sure I'll still win, but this makes things more complicated (and tedious) for me. There's a chance I can still have that opportunity ... *if* she doesn't advance that pawn on her next move. I'm not counting on it though ...

Rainee has been super brave since we arrived at the motel. She doesn't have a lot of places she can go here, but she is taking that in stride. In the meantime, Friendly Neighbor Guy has told us that a shitton of viewers have been checking out our house. He said that at one point, six cars were parked around the house, all there to look at the interior and the exterior. The realtor set the starting price at $299,000.00 ... it's actually hopeful that someone will bid as high as $350,000.00! and well they should, it is a sweet house. I'm going to miss that house. My attached bath in there is like the crown jewel.

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
1:08 p.m., Sunday the 2nd

Technically, we have our room rented here until tomorrow morning. But we aren't going to stay the night. I'm pretty sure BH has to work tomorrow, SB I'm not sure, but we do want to be home for when the realtor lady comes over to discuss the various bids with us. The house is still being viewed, so we can't return yet, we have to wait until about 8:00 p.m. ... so I guess there's not a rush, we might have dinner here (the city we're in is Enumclaw), things aren't set in stone. Meanwhile, Eddie has been doing his Barn Hunt trial/competition stuff. SB says he's been doing less than great at that this time around. He did have one good run yesterday, but then on the next run he was just eating straw and goofing off. On one of his Friday runs, he pooped in the ring. That's an automatic disqualification.

Poor Rainee, she wants to sit at this room's glass doors, and look out, and I can't let her. Technically, dogs are allowed here but cats are not. Stupid rule, I know. So Rainee's presence must be kept a secret. Today, after a number of tries by her, and me retrieving her, she finally resigned herself to not looking out the glass door, and now she is resting on my lap. I wish I could explain to her what's happening, and why we have to do the things we do. She just has to have faith in us, and she does. She trusts us. She is truly a precious friend to me.

PinkPig

My cats actually did well on the car ride when I moved 16 hours away. We split it into 2 days. The siamese howled, but then, I would have been shocked if he hadn't since he was a howler. I'm not sure there is a good way to move a cat :/

kdt26417

Official Greeter
Staff member
4:36 p.m., Monday the 3rd

Yeah, cats are homebodies. They are happiest when they are surrounded by their familiar things and places. When they do arrive at a destination, the first thing they want to do is thoroughly explore the place, thus establishing familiarity. Rainee isn't a very vocal cat, but when she's in a moving car, she cries almost constantly. I don't know if she would cry in a plane, when a plane is in the air the ride is mostly smooth, compared to a car which jiggles slightly on all the minute bumps in the road. I feel bad when Rainee gets scared (on the road), but by far my biggest concern is that she not freak and bolt and run away. Of all the things that could go wrong in the moving process, that is the one thing that I couldn't stand. I would be so devastated. And far worse than how I would feel, is how Rainee would feel. I'm atheist and I desperately want to pray that we don't lose our cat.

We're back home ... it's still home for at least two or three weeks ... and Rainee has been sleeping on my bed all day, she hasn't once come up for air, not even for the prospect of getting a treat. During the night last night, she only came up once for air, namely when her 2:00 a.m. feeder went off. I think she used her litter box after she ate, then it was right back on the bed again, there to stay.

We did eat takeout for dinner in Enumclaw, afterwhich BH went nuts wanting to leave for home immediately. He threw both suitcases into his car before I had a chance to pack my stuff, I had to leave my toiletries out loose in the trunk of SB's car. Not the end of the world I guess, but it was odd and chaotic. We got home at around 7:30 p.m. with a half hour to kill before we could enter the house, so we all went and got some treats at our local Dairy Queen. By now, things are mostly back to normal, but we still need to move Rainee's scratching post and cat tree back into the house.

In Chess, I played a bot game (versus Vinh), I played as white, and won. It was a nice clean game too, for me. Lots of trading equal pieces, and maintaining a good amount of control over the situation. I got lucky too, Vinh made at least one mistake that I saw, he let one of his rooks be captured by my light-squared bishop. I would say that Vinh is definitely an easier opponent than Naycir, Naycir uses a lot of complicated strategy, a lot for me anyway. If I win tomorrow's game, playing as black against Vinh, I'll then move on to another game (playing as white) against Naycir. Bleah.

In my slow game versus SB, she did not advance that h-pawn, so I got to advance my h-pawn and establish that pawn wall after all. I had to sacrifice another pawn in order to do it, but I think it was worth it. Now I'm pretty sure I will easily be able to promote one of my other pawns, and easily win from there if I don't do something stupid like draw the game with a stalemate.

This concludes my riport.