LSB Weight Loss Daily Goals and Accomplishments

Does it help at all to remember that their flak is 99% jealousy? Not envy, but green-eyed jealousy. i.e., not simply do they want what you have, but they want you not to have it unless they can have it too. I'm not saying they're entitled to express that jealousy to you in any way, shape, or form -- let alone shaming you for your lifestyle and food choices! But between human nature and social conditioning, I can see where it's coming from.

I don't think that really helps any, actually—it kinda makes it worse! The idea that they really aren't concerned about me like they are acting like they are (and not trusting me to make my own choices) but that they might understand that my choices are what's best for me and still be trying to talk me out of it? That seems downright wicked! :eek:

I guess this is my 14th day of the intermittent fasting and I have to say it's going exceptionally well...I'm really impressed by the effect it's had on cravings. Every other diet* I've tried, I'm always fighting cravings. Constant battle. This time, it's unreal, but the cravings are actually going away. It didn't even take that long.

Wow, congrats on finding something that works so well for you! It's super exciting to see the wide variety of things that work for different people. :)

You know what's not fair? How hungry hormones make people the week before their period! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would eat all the things right now. ALL OF THEM.

I don't think that really helps any, actually—it kinda makes it worse! The idea that they really aren't concerned about me like they are acting like they are (and not trusting me to make my own choices) but that they might understand that my choices are what's best for me and still be trying to talk me out of it? That seems downright wicked! :eek:

Crap. Sorry.

I didn't realise they were showing fake concern. I just assumed it was like "oh that's silly, you don't need to bother, you like great!"

In that case, I withdraw my appraisal. Maybe they're just brainwashed by the average BMI in the West, and can't remember what "Healthy" actually looks like.

Could you go to your doctor and get an official go-ahead to bring to the nay-sayers?

I think that this sort of dynamic is more complex than that. I think that what people often do when a friend or somebody else close does something different is look at their own life and how they are living. They then - often - start to make excuses for why they can't do whatever it is they want to make a similar change. Then they feed these excuses back to the person making the change as reasons not to do it at all. I think they mean the excuses to be helpful and are not at all aware that what they speak about is their own insecurities.

When I was about 36 or 37 I decided to start running. So many of my friends and family members told me I couldn't. They said I was the wrong shape and would be rubbish at it (I am - I'm overweight and short and can't run fast), they said I would hurt my knees, my back, it would make my asthma worse. I ignored them. I bought a decent sports bra and running shoes. I followed a beginner's program.

I'm 42 now and I've run loads of 10ks and a half marathon and have another half marathon to do in a bit less than 2 weeks. I've never suffered an injury, in fact, my knees and back are better than they have been for years. My asthma is cured - I haven't used an inhaler for years now. I feel better than I've felt for most of my life.

I'm a shit runner. Totally terrible at it. Really slow - but that doesn't matter. It's still good for me even if I'm rubbish at it.

I've found that people of all shapes and sizes and speeds run. Loads of runners are overweight and look like they could hardly run for a bus.

Over the years my body shape has totally changed. I haven't lost any weight - in fact, I tend to be 7 - 14 lbs over the weight I hovered at before I started running but I'm a different shape. I think I look better - but more importantly I feel better.

Some of the people who told me I shouldn't run have started doing it themselves now.

These people were not being mean to me. They were jealous that I was doing something and wanted me not to - but they wanted me not to because my change made them feel badly because of their own inactive lives.

And - there were loads of others who were supportive and who told me that of course I could run.

It's just to say that what you are experiencing is common IME when changes are being made.

I tend to take is genuine concern from friends but not advice I'll follow.

IP.

You know what's not fair? How hungry hormones make people the week before their period! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would eat all the things right now. ALL OF THEM.

I recently got an IUD which triggered my first period in 18 months. It's been 7 days and I STILL want to eat all of the things! I've done well, minus a burger that I probably should have avoided and lots of cereal. But, it's low sugar, high fiber cereal so I refuse to feel guilt about my crunchy snack.

I recently got an IUD which triggered my first period in 18 months. It's been 7 days and I STILL want to eat all of the things! I've done well, minus a burger that I probably should have avoided and lots of cereal. But, it's low sugar, high fiber cereal so I refuse to feel guilt about my crunchy snack.

If you don't mind sharing, what were you using before the IUD? I also got an IUD put in last Monday, and I had started IF the previous Thursday, so I haven't even bothered trying to sort out whether hunger pangs were hormonal from the IUD or from the fasting. I was on the pill continuously before the IUD, and even thought it's Mirena so there's still hormones in it, they're localised now, so I assumed I'd be going through hormonal withdrawal more than anything.

I'd missed a couple pills the week before the insertion, so I was already spotty from that, but all my spotting stopped about 4 days after the insertion and never got bad enough to need a pad or anything, just a smear on the toilet paper. But if I miss 2 pills in a week, that's about the typical amount of spotting I had (I took the pill continuously, i.e. didn't take the placebo or skip week, so that I didn't have periods at all, which was glorious but the pills were PITA and I was getting worried about blood clots and migraines).

If you're just wondering what periods will be like on the IUD, I'm now on my second Mirena. With the first, my periods slowed and eventually stopped other than the occasional super light spotting every few months. After 5 years was up and I had it replaced, I started getting my period again, but lightly, but within about 9 months it had slowed back down again and I haven't had one in a while now, so I'm probably back to something like occasional spotting, or with any luck, no period at all.

I've heard it varies from person to person though. Some just have lighter periods, some have no periods, etc.

Yeah, that's what I'd heard and was what convinced me to finally make the switch. I wasn't so much wondering about periods on the IUD as... what would caused her to start getting them on the IUD after 18 months without (i.e. what was stopping them for the 18 months).

I think that this sort of dynamic is more complex than that. I think that what people often do when a friend or somebody else close does something different is look at their own life and how they are living. They then - often - start to make excuses for why they can't do whatever it is they want to make a similar change. Then they feed these excuses back to the person making the change as reasons not to do it at all. I think they mean the excuses to be helpful and are not at all aware that what they speak about is their own insecurities.

These people were not being mean to me. They were jealous that I was doing something and wanted me not to - but they wanted me not to because my change made them feel badly because of their own inactive lives.

And - there were loads of others who were supportive and who told me that of course I could run.

It's just to say that what you are experiencing is common IME when changes are being made.

Oh, yeah. OK, that makes sense, that it's stuff that they have to "trick themselves" into believing as sort of a justification for their own habits, but then since they BELIEVE IT they feel enough conviction to foist it upon others.

Like, "I could do that too but I don't want to (or fear that I can't)" becomes just "I can't do that" which becomes "no one can or should do that."

It's still pretty silly, but it kinda makes me feel sorry for them instead of ranty about it.

I did something stupid today. I ran out of the carrots that usually make up half of my fat/protein-packed lunch of carrots and peanut butter, so I just brought some glass noodles leftover from our Korean dinner the other night. It was just noodles, hot sauce, and vegetables, pretty much, so not a shred of protein.

Which meant that by mid-afternoon, I was a total hanger machine. I cannot eat an all-carb meal and expect to remain human in the ensuing hours. I just can't. I knew that, but being lazy/broke/hopeful led me to ignore it.

So now I've torn through 2.5 the amount of trail mix that I usually eat in one day, just trying to keep enough power in my body to remain upright, and enough power in my brain to barely finish my work. It's also left me with only enough calories to have one smoothie. Of course, I'll need more than that, so I'm totally going to end up going over today.

It's also left me feeling weak enough that I'm considering Lyfting rather than biking home. I'm going to try to not actually do that, because that works even further against my calorie goals AND against my wallet!

Carbs. I just can't do 'em alone or I become the hangriest, dullest-witted person alive. Ugh.

I hear ya. I'm starting to learn that carbs need to either be eaten as part of a balanced meal, or else you need to be a carb fiend eating them all day to keep your blood sugar stable. I'll eat carbs if I'm going to be exercising and need the readily available energy, otherwise not so much. I've especially noticed with IF that if my last meal of the day is high protein, the next day's fast is much much easier. I'm in love with this black bean spaghetti I got at Costco, it's as quick to cook as regular pasta but it's 100% beans, only ingredient.

So now I've torn through 2.5 the amount of trail mix that I usually eat in one day, just trying to keep enough power in my body to remain upright, and enough power in my brain to barely finish my work. It's also left me with only enough calories to have one smoothie. Of course, I'll need more than that, so I'm totally going to end up going over today.

It's also left me feeling weak enough that I'm considering Lyfting rather than biking home. I'm going to try to not actually do that, because that works even further against my calorie goals AND against my wallet!

I didn't end up giving in to the Lyft. I was pretty dead when I got home, so I took some mineral pills and added an extra half-scoop of protein and a tablespoon of cocoa powder to my smoothie. I also ate a handful of chocolate espresso beans to power me up for the concert I was about to attend.

It totally worked!

With the extra protein and the little mineral/caffeine boost, I didn't need to eat anything else all night—didn't even think about it! I ended up going only 150 calories over from the extras (protein, cocoa, beans), which is way better than eating a whole extra meal would have been.

Today I have played it smart and brought veggie burgers instead of stupid noodles. Tonight I get to be a little naughty because it's my birthday weekend and I am going out for dinner and drinks. I'm still going to keep it moderate, but tikka masala sauce and sugary tiki cocktails are in my immediate future. This will be only the second time I will be drinking ALL MONTH—and the last all month too. :)

If you don't mind sharing, what were you using before the IUD? I also got an IUD put in last Monday, and I had started IF the previous Thursday, so I haven't even bothered trying to sort out whether hunger pangs were hormonal from the IUD or from the fasting. I was on the pill continuously before the IUD, and even thought it's Mirena so there's still hormones in it, they're localised now, so I assumed I'd be going through hormonal withdrawal more than anything.

I'd missed a couple pills the week before the insertion, so I was already spotty from that, but all my spotting stopped about 4 days after the insertion and never got bad enough to need a pad or anything, just a smear on the toilet paper. But if I miss 2 pills in a week, that's about the typical amount of spotting I had (I took the pill continuously, i.e. didn't take the placebo or skip week, so that I didn't have periods at all, which was glorious but the pills were PITA and I was getting worried about blood clots and migraines).

I was on the mini pill. I was incredibly religious about it until the week leading up to my appointment when I quit taking it entirely.

Ooh, I'm going to have to look for that. Is the brand Costco brand? Or something I could also find elsewhere?

https://www.amazon.com/Explore-Asia-Organic-Spaghetti-7-05-Ounce/dp/B0078DU1CY/

It's a very clumpy pasta, sort of forms a big mass glob when you put on the sauce. I actually ended up cutting the whole bowl of noodles with a knife and next time I'm just going to break the noodles up really small first and make it as one-pot spaghetti by cooking the noodles right in the sauce. I don't put oil in the water, that probably would have helped.

Last edited:
162.3 pounds this morning! To not have an overweight BMI (and I know BMI is ridiculous, but it's measurable so it's a starting point!) I need to be between 108-145 pounds. THAT'S LESS THAN 20 AWAY! This is huge!

My goal was to be around 140 by the end of the year. While I don't think that's actually going to happen unless I really buckle down - which I 100% will not do during the holidays - I am thinking I will be in the 140s, and at what would be considered to be a "healthy" weight. YAY!

My progress is obviously super slow at this point, but progress is progress. I'm being more purposefully active during the days which really helps. If I start eating poorly, I track for a few days again to get back on track. That really helps me make better choices. Without any attempt to control portions, I consume about 2000 calories a day. That's eating pretty much whatever I want. Obviously, if I decide to be lazy or anything I would need to cut that drastically. I enjoy being active, though, and if I can keep my metabolism up to the point where I can continue eating as I am... I'll be a happy, healthy person soon enough.

My diet this week has been:
20oz water with lemon first thing
2 pieces of fruit (apple, pear, nectarine, or banana)
cream of wheat with .5 tablespoon of agave
Salad with either chicken or boiled egg, avocado, and 1 tablespoon full fat ranchy goodness
Normal sized portion of leftovers
Cheese or egg
1 cup honey bunches of oats with 3/4 cup of milk (almond or cow's)
Normal sized portion of dinner
Handful of popcorn or 3 pieces from a Hershey's bar if I want a quick snack before bed

Throughout the day I've been drinking 100-120oz of water again. I think that is what is making me lose the weight. I've had 1 beer with dinner a few times this week, too, and have been drinking some tea which I don't count towards my fluid goal.

I've been doing the IF for 24 days now, and I have to say this is by far the easiest and most pleasant way to lose weight I've ever done. Dare I say, almost enjoyable?

I have so much more energy. It seems so backwards that you would have more energy when you're consuming less energy, but it's true. I guess digestion really slogs down the system, and freeing that up lets it focus on other things.

I lost 7 lbs as of yesterday, which is about 2lbs per week so that's about right. But the most amazing thing is that I lost 7 lbs, and still ate pizza, Chinese takeout, chips and candy, and basically a lot of crap... and ate it in the quantities I normally do, which is to say excessively. I tried to keep that down to every other day, and have healthy food the rest of the time. But without effort or intent, the frequency of that stuff has actually been going down as the days went by.

The last time I bought chips was only because I saw them at Canadian Tire when I was there, and bought them on impulse without even trying to stop myself. Ate half of them and gave the rest to some guy who asked me for change. This is in contrast to the 3 weeks before starting IF, where I pretty much made special trips to Wal-Mart to buy chips about 4-5 times a week, and I'd buy at least one if not two family bags and devour them like a total glutton. But I haven't had the slightest urge to do that, and it's amazing!

So I'm sold. This is it. It's funny but true, one of the things I read about fasting is that unlike most diets, it's really hard to conceive of doing but really easy to actually do. You'd think "Don't eat anything" would be harder than "Doing eat junk" but it's not. Because if I'd get a craving for chips and I wasn't eating junk, then I'd try and satisfy it with something healthy, but we all know that never works, so then I just kept eating other things that might do it, and eventually I just give up and eat the chips anyway (plus all the nuts, hummus, and bird seed crackers that didn't cut it). But with fasting, instead of trying to satisfy craving A with food B, you just tell craving A that it has to wait a few hours and then we'll get some junk A. But by the time a few hours passes, the craving is usually gone. And if not, oh well at least you went a few hours without eating junk.

My weight has stabilized at unstable :rolleyes: At the end of the placebo week of pills, I'm 125/21.5 BMI, which feels perfect to me. After a couple of weeks back on the active pills, it starts to creep back up. I've been doing a placebo week every 3 packs, by the time it rolls around again, I'm 129 :(

My annual gyno visit is coming up in a couple of months, I'm going to talk with her about it. She wanted me to just take the pills continuously, no periods ever, because 1) no medical reason to bother with them when you're on the pill and 2) I have mild endometriosis and getting periods increases the chance it could get worse and actually become a problem some day. But I was SO FAT when I never took breaks. Ugh.

Am I actually vain enough to risk uterine tissue migrating around my body just to be a size 4? Yes, yes I am.

Been on vacation and not doing anything particularly healthy, but the scale has read 155 two days in a row (10# down from my max) Now that I am home have to get on track again - but there is so much yummy food everywhere!

Back