Polyamory in television shows

Let's hope this is a balanced show that doesn't show us as just a bunch of sex crazed animals. We are a community capable of so much love. I would love to see that shown.

If all shows on Polyamory keep using the title "I love you and you and you" it's going to become pretty confusing trying to differentiate between them.

They could have checked that the name wasn't taken.

If all shows on Polyamory keep using the title "I love you and you and you" it's going to become pretty confusing trying to differentiate between them.
In the words of Tom Araya, lead singer for Slayer, "It's a great fuckin' title."

Soo, did anyone see thus documentary last night? Any thoughts? My wife recorded it and we will be watching it together this weekend. Would live to hear any input from those who saw it. I will post my thoughts after we watch it.

We watched it. It was a good overview, as good as could have been done in an hour show I think. Very little time spent on the private sexual aspect of it and much more on the development of new relationships and the different configurations and really in family. One part showed a 16 year old child expounding the blessings of poly lifestyle and how it has been a positive thing growing up in this type environment. That was a great thing to hear and relay. i wish they would continue this series meeting other poly couples around the country. It was very informative. We asked the people who we are out to, to watch it, the ones who did have stated they were interested and informed and would do some more reading on the subject. We have to remember that it was not designed for us who know about poly but for those who know nothing about poly to get a brief education about it.

We finally watched the show last night and really enjoyed all aspects of it. It actually got us to have some conversation on different topics the people in the show touched on, so that was very good.
The first triad introduced, the woman, her husband and her boyfriend is the perfect situation my wife would ultimately like to have. All 3 of us under the same roof living happily together. Time will tell.
But overall we thought it was a good documentary and not focused so much on over-sexed people...Was a nice change!

MrS DVR'd it for me and Dude and I just got done watching it.

I didn't the see "Married and Dating" show on Showtime so I don't have that to compare it to (my understanding from reading here was that the Married and Dating show focused on attractive people having group sex - which is not something that I am opposed to, but isn't really the point.)

I thought that this show was very tasteful and a good introduction of the concept intended for an audience that is on the outside looking in. So, for instance, if you were coming out to your family - you could recommend that they watch the show and then say "our situation is similar to the family where the woman lives with her husband and boyfriend." Good poly PR for the monogamist majority.

I don't know that anyone would watch the show and go - "THAT is what I want, why didn't I think of it before"...(but I could be wrong:)) - it's not a recruitment video. In an hour long show I don't know that you can delve into all the nuances of how poly can go. So, you get a few case studies of a few families and how poly looks for them. (If you were doing a show FOR poly-leaning people, it might be more useful to show more different configurations and more detail about how they worked through different issues - which would require a series, not an episode.)

So I personally didn't learn anything from the show that I didn't already glean from my personal life or from reading these forums, but I appreciate that the rest of society has the opportunity to watch a "non-titillating" introduction to the idea that poly relationships can be happy/healthy/long-term/committed.

JaneQ

....So, for instance, if you were coming out to your family - you could recommend that they watch the show and then say "our situation is similar to the family where the woman lives with her husband and boyfriend." Good poly PR for the monogamist majority.

I don't know that anyone would watch the show and go - "THAT is what I want, why didn't I think of it before"...(but I could be wrong:)) - it's not a recruitment video...

Definitely agree that it's good PR.
And while you're right, it's not a recruitment thing, I certainly hope there will be some people out there who see this and go "You know, I've always felt this need to love more than one person too. I need to think long and hard about this concept."
So absolutely this was a good show for provoking thought and discourse!
:)

:cool:

"Polyamory" tv show on Showtime

Has anyone been watching? what are your thoughts?

(if posted in the wrong section, admis please move to correct section)

I haven't ever even made an attempt to watch it. Reality shows tend to select for people of average to below-average intelligence and maturity. I simply don't find most of that entertaining. I think most people would be disappointed by the daily activities of your average polyamorous person.

Ok, after the first few episodes it was better, sam and I watched it together but I definitely saw some bad polyshipping going on through out the show

Ha! Funny, I didnt realise there was another season going.. hmmm. Me thinks I been out of touch w tv since we purchased our home bout 6 months ago.

Is that a third season? I heard a lot about it when they were making a second one, but there wasn't as much hype this time around. How is it? Which families come back, if any? Are there new ones being introduced?

I watched the entire first season, it was mostly hyperbole and sensationalism from my perspective. It felt more like a show about how non poly people view poly. Not unlike Charlie and the Chocolate Factory being about a kids fantasy about what goes on inside the factory vs. the actual reality of it all.

The poly character on Fox's "Utopia" starting Sunday...

... is pretty smart, knows her stuff, and wants to educate about poly. But will she get any chance on a reality show?

She's Dedeker Winston. I've just posted a lot of backstory and inside dope at Polyamory in the News:

http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/2014/09/dedeker-winston-poly-character-on-foxs.html

For better or worse, she's probably about to become America's poster girl for polyamory.

Alan M.

I'm not a reality show fan but I hope polyamory gets some positive airtime on this one.

Back