Religious survey

My current religious orientation

I am ethnically Jewish, in terms of a specific organized religion - knowledgable but agnostic, in terms of belief in a higher power which has gone by names such as God, Godess, the Divine, the Higher Power as one understands it (have an eating disorder), I have no doubt that there is one. Just like I know the floor under my feet is real.

I was raised in a Fundamental Baptist family. I use to believe a good portion of the teachings but always struggled with a good portion of it as well.

About 9 years ago, I began to doubt most of it due to being exposed to information I'd grown up being censored from. About 4 years ago, I realized I'm an Atheist who will freely admit I don't have all the answers but neither does any religion.

Now please pass the plate around and give what your heart tells you. ;)

I was raised in a Fundamental Baptist family. I use to believe a good portion of the teachings but always struggled with a good portion of it as well.

About 9 years ago, I began to doubt most of it due to being exposed to information I'd grown up being censored from.

Like what? Something in the Bible, or something in the organization?

I was raised Christian, found Wicca, and I'm now branching into Vodoun.
I have little issue with Christianity, but lots of problems with Christians.

Like what? Something in the Bible, or something in the organization?

Well, I will admit to a growing awareness as I got older of folks "talking the talk but not walking the walk" while still harshly judging others.
And even though the area I lived in still battles, to this day, every year to put creationism back in the public classrooms, the faith my family adhered to directly contradicted biology and other aspects of science I learned in school.

So In my adult years, I began to wonder about the black listed books my family's church warned against. Some of them I'd read anyway as a kid (Judy Blume) mostly due to my mom having periods of being less religious at home than when around my grandparents and extended family. We used to be tight knit, so even then we went to church once a month with my grandmother.
You have to understand: the Earth is roughly 6000 years old. We've never been anything other than homo sapien. God has very clearly defined gender roles and expectations no matter what he gave you talent or inclination for. A whole list of things including Santa and playing cards are evil and demons can possess you. Condoms will make you have sex. You can learn to not be gay. Dino bones are God's little practical joke. IUDs are monthly abortions. You are not pro choice; you are pro abortion. Spare the rod; spoil the child. And will you stop asking me why it is any less a miracle if Mary had just not had sex with anyone in a year or more?

So once I came upon harder science and events that happened prior to the birth of Christ that was not in the Bible? The feasibility just wasn't there for me anymore.

This.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi. This is my current favourite quote.

Precisely.
Christians and Churches don't inspire much faith or awe, for me, and there are some issues in the Bible that I don't know how to reconcile with my personal beliefs. (read: I'm all about women being able to choose their own fates. That's a little too heathenish for some folks, apparently.)

You have to understand: the Earth is roughly 6000 years old. We've never been anything other than homo sapien. God has very clearly defined gender roles and expectations no matter what he gave you talent or inclination for. A whole list of things including Santa and playing cards are evil and demons can possess you. Condoms will make you have sex. You can learn to not be gay. Dino bones are God's little practical joke. IUDs are monthly abortions. You are not pro choice; you are pro abortion. Spare the rod; spoil the child. And will you stop asking me why it is any less a miracle if Mary had just not had sex with anyone in a year or more?

ROFLOL!!!

You forgot: If you are sick or in pain, you don't have enough faith or are lacking in some way or have not given enough money. You will be "blessed" with money if you just pray the right way. Not to mention all alchohol is the devil's drink and dancing will always lead you have un-married sex.

My grandmother was Baptist fundamentalist, my dad was an engineer (with a scientist's way of thinking). Of course he would fully enjoy using the Bible to prove some of her "truths" to be made up nonsensse that had NO basis in the Bible at all. There were also the theology vs reality arguements, which he could always argue better than she could.

ROFLOL!!!

You forgot: If you are sick or in pain, you don't have enough faith or are lacking in some way or have not given enough money. You will be "blessed" with money if you just pray the right way. Not to mention all alchohol is the devil's drink and dancing will always lead you have un-married sex.

My grandmother was Baptist fundamentalist, my dad was an engineer (with a scientist's way of thinking). Of course he would fully enjoy using the Bible to prove some of her "truths" to be made up nonsensse that had NO basis in the Bible at all. There were also the theology vs reality arguements, which he could always argue better than she could.

Oh yeah, I could go on, but I see you got the picture already. ;)

Some thoughts on your comments

The idea of the trinity I find very fascinating. The whole trinity concept is found long before Christ in a lot of Pagan religons. Now the question for me is, was the Christian Trinity thought up to conform to the non-Jewish peoples or were the Jewish people just arrogant in assuming God didn't speak or give guidance and love to the rest of the world? For a while I thought it was the former, now I am beginning to think it is the later.

Actually, Judaism (at least mystically oriented branches of it) does recognize three aspects to God(ess) Ruach Ha Kodesh (what often gets translated as the Holy Spirit), Shechinah (the feminine and merciful aspect), and Malchut/Elohim(the judging, ruling aspect). Also, the Torah makes it very clear that G-d as the Jews see the Divinity is willing to provide guidance and love to any who will listen (note Noach, Lot neither of whom are Jewish who receive Divine guidance and aid) and that it is a personal choice to refuse God's rule (note ve Adonai hiksha et lev Paroh: and God hardened Pharoah's heart) notably that since Pharaoh chose willingly to ignore God's warnings provided by Moses and even his own pagan diviners, God just helped him on to his own unbelief. And Moses himself listened to the wise advice of Yitro (Jethro) his father in law, because Yitro was God fearing, though a non-Jew.

Religious Survey Response

I live as a practicing Christian Scientist. Without going into a lengthy dissertation on religious philosophy, it is impossible to define what that means in a reasonable number of words to those unfamiliar with the concept. For the purpose of only answering the question in this forum - to me human love must reflect the characteristics of God's Love. God's Love, being infinite in nature, so must human love reflect those unlimited characteristics. Some within my faith will find my logic flawed and insist along with traditionalists that somewhere marriage is defined by God, but I insist that marriage itself is but a human concept explained and defined by possibly spiritually inspired, but also flawed humans. In the human realm, there is the real and perfect man that we sometimes recognize as God's creation, and there is the "old man" which we constantly strive to put off. This "old man" (false man) is the source of flawed thinking. As long as we are still in the human realm, there will appear well meaning but flawed thinking, along with real and right thinking, side by side. As humans, we must sort the wrong from the right if we would be happy and successful.

To me it has all recently opened up and become clear. I tend to agree with those who cannot find any specific scriptural insistence on monogamy, and I believe it is not there because of the reflective quality of man (woman) to God defined above. Man (woman) exists because we are His (God's) expression. That is simply what we are (spiritually and absolutely) by nature, whether we know or admit it or not. That expression is the complete manifestation of Love, and therefore contains no limited characteristics. We all have enough love for everyone. Love is not a finite measurable or limited thing.

I could say a lot more, but it would be misunderstood, like possibly what I already have written may be.

I guess I would 'define' myself as an agnostic atheist..I was brought up Christian but by hte time I hit 21,I was so sick of having 'religion' rammed down my throat that I simply withdrew,and that is still how I feel today.
My occupation has taught me to be evidence based and that is how I work most of my life,I have a very analytical brain and I need to see 'physical' evidence in order to both believe and apply the theory.

I'm pagan (mix of norse and wiccan)
M - Norse Pagan
J - "Not much of anything really"

Discovered paganism when I was 14, had been Roman Catholic until the point that I made the horrible mistake of asking why did God have to be a man - that didn't go over so well. Disowned by my grandmother who told me that if she couldn't see me in heaven that she wasn't going to waste her time with me while she was alive. My other grandmother stated quite matter of factly "I don't give a damn what any of my grandchildren do just so long as you're all happy". I have very religious in-laws (born agains) who love to send me tidbits of "guidance" which I delete as quickly as they enter my inbox. In the end it's the hypocracy that I can't stand. "I Love everyone! But not you, you, you, or you." I have my path, I'll follow mine and I'll let eveyone else follow theirs and everyone can and should be happy! The only reason poly is my big secret is because I really don't want to hear the sermons and lectures that I know will be coming my way if my parents find out. My sister and her S/O know and that's about it. If M's family found out - /shudders I don't even want to think about it.

It's something how we "name" or attach labels to a belief. We so often want to belong to a group even if we don't truly practice as that group does. Aren't we all a part of the same group--human beings? I was raised very strict christian but realize now that our man made explanations of a "god" usually fall short, as mine do also:) I guess I usually just use the term "spiritual" and Being, and love the threads of truth I find from many different beliefs and usually discard the parts that are man-made or egoic in structure. If we all truly belong to only one group then as far as I'm concerned, ya'll belong to me :)

I'm Athiest

Started Baptist, Went Pagan, now here.

I'm pagan (mix of norse and wiccan)
M - Norse Pagan
J - "Not much of anything really"

Discovered paganism when I was 14, had been Roman Catholic until the point that I made the horrible mistake of asking why did God have to be a man - that didn't go over so well.

haha Catholicism is sooo pagan! And theyve got a goddess, tho they won't admit it.

Disowned by my grandmother who told me that if she couldn't see me in heaven that she wasn't going to waste her time with me while she was alive.

Thats harsh, not to mention unbiblical.

Faith vs lifestyle

Hello everyone....I'm new to the forum. I think we should all remember that many of the Pagan/Wiccan community is more open and sexually comfortable and that is why you will see more. I am a 5th generation Wiccan and found poly to come very easy when it finally got a name. There are many alternative living styles out there. Those that I've looked at have for the most part been very compatible with all the others.

Silver

I suppose I would define myself as atheist....but still open to any belief in a omnipresent being?
I have yet to find any evidence, but I still search...

I and Andulvar are Norse Pagan but the majority of our lovers are undecided :/. However, we do rituals together, which is a lot of fun.

Back