What do you do to center yourself?

PinkPig

So, I've been in a really pissy mood of late and am in desperate need of an attitude adjustment. Please post the things you do that center you and keep you sane :)

My two main methods of centering myself are exercise (which I've been lax on of late), and mindfulness (again lax on of late.) What are yours?

I have taken up adult coloring. It makes me sit down and focus on what's in front of me. The book I am working on now is tattoo based. I have a mandala and a Moorish one waiting in the wings.

The other thing I do to relax is work, play, and bond with my pets especially my dogs and guinea pigs. My cats do not appreciate uninvited cuddles or spooning...lol

For me it's mostly exercise. A gym session, or a walk outdoors if I can't get to the gym. I get antsy if I don't move. The other thing that I really enjoy is a glass of wine or two in the evening. Not as healthy, but I justify it by going to the gym. I'm one who needs some quiet alone time to re-energise myself. It's hard to get, working full time and parenting two school age kids. Mindfulness is one of those things that I'd like to explore more.

Beer is working for me today.

I tried going for a walk, still too much time in my own head didn't help the mood. Beer and youtube ftw.

I train my dogs. They are totally my fur babies. I also groom at the local animal shelter & it keeps me in the moment as you have to be there when you're going at moving targets with sharp instruments. I've found volunteering to be extremely fulfilling so I feel as if I get more out of it than I am giving.

Generally working out helps keep me centered for the most part. I also enjoy writing and creating with my hands. Photography, painting, etc.

Beer is working for me today.

Whew, today is a zillion times better. Beer was a symbol of my non-resistance to feeling naff. I also ate (too much) pizza. Neither made me actually feel *good* but they meant that I wasn't fighting myself.

Comfort food used to be a form of escapism for me, now it's actually a way to be totally present with just how meh I feel, and when I stop telling myself that meh is bad and I've got to pull my socks up and other cliches ad infinitum and just be with myself and my meh-ness, it passes much more quickly.

I hit my local trails and go run in some beautiful countryside. It really is the best thing. Like hitting a reset button on my mood.

Sleep.
Self talk.
Exercise is great but rarely doable on demand.
Read

Some people have comfort foods...I have "comfort books" - the ones I know like the back of my hand, I read really fast, so even if I need a tome like "The Stand" it is really only an investment of an afternoon (if I need more than that then I go to Tad Williams "Otherland" series or LOTR or on a serious Heinlein binge.)

Meditate. I don't do anything formal, just rest in a quiet place with my eyes closed and let my thoughts drift. If they drift to stressful things, I'll visualize the stress being removed from my body in whatever method seems to be the theme for the day (often a golden net raking through me from head to foot and taking the stress with it). And if I relax enough to get a nap out of it, that's nice too!

Spiritually based yoga class several times a week keeps me at peace. I also listen to a great positive-vibe / spiritually inspiring speaker on YouTube and that helps me get into better habits of thought and off of negative loops.

For centering myself, I like to take really deep breaths, do yoga, and sometimes meditate. and I just took up adult coloring. :)

Back