Why do you use the online name that you use?

When I first signed up here it was a kind of cautious foray into the world of polyamory, so I chose a new handle. Several of my online names are tea related (I'm actually more of a coffee drinker, but I do like the role tea plays in British culture, my chosen home), and with polyamory the theme is love. There's also the fact that I'm (still) 40, and I like the idea of serving a dish of love for an afternoon meal. I'm not a big tennis fan but I'll take that pun, too. :D

Blue Heart, for me, symbolizes the sincerity of my Heart; the calmness that the color blue represents and how that calmness reflects my sense of emotionalism when I'm at peace with self and the healthy vibes of whatever relationship I'm engaged in. Blue Heart is also the first half of the title of my book (Blue Heart, Red Blood by Apollo Alehc Sorè). It (Blue Heart) is my naturally adopted symbol of me and my perceived meaning/purpose of my Life.

I've used many different online names, sometimes I even use my real name.

Sometimes I use fictional characters that I like but that makes me get giddy and sometimes say thing I shouldn't say and it's gotten me (or my alter ego) in trouble.

In online gaming I wanted to use names that stand out and I thought one sure way to do that and have some status that everybody will appreciate is to have some name that is as short as possible. If you do that people remember you and that is good if you play well, not so good if you don't play well! ;)

"Enlightened" came about because at the time I signed up I was feeling enlightened. Enlightened when I googled if it's possible to love more than one person and the word polyamory poped up.

That would feel enlightening; glad you could join us!

I explained a bit about Bluebottle in my intro... Anyhow, in the 1950s the BBC 'Light Program' ran a radio show called 'The Goon Show' written by Spike Milligan and featuring him, Harry Secombe, Michael Bentine and Peter Sellers (Sellers was later well know for his role as Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies) Bluebottle was a character voiced by Sellers, he was an 'East Finchley Boy Scout' and suffered a dreadful fate in every episode, after which he would exclaim "You rotten swines, you dedded me again!!" ....Why do I use that name? Seemed a good idea when I first ventured on to the internet - and now I have my own company called Bluebottle ltd (Find me on Faceache!)

I did not realize that Peter Sellers voiced the Bluebottle character. That adds to the charm. Heheh ... "You rotten swines, you dedded me again!"

I use "Charlie" because i can relate to a Lot of "Charlies" that struggle with Life.
Mostly with Charlie Brown.

Also it is a nice short nice Nickname that isn't too odd.
I want a name that doesn't stick out too much, seem "normal and familiar" and is Anonymous.

A lot of people call me Charlie in real life already :D

"You're a good man, Charlie Brown!"

I was at quite a loss for a name. I've been on forums forever and didn't want to use anything that has ever been associated with me. Over and Over is the name of a song that became an anthem for me when I lost my husband. I listened to it thousands of times probably.

"Old enough to know, but young enough to live again...."

I agree with a lot of points UP8 brings up, and Enlightened as exploring new lifestyles has always felt insightful and open minded. I am sorry to hear about your husband OverandOver, but that is a good song my mother played alot. Charlie_jumper you are doomed to be memorable with such a likeable avatar and name. =3

Mine is my chosen Wiccan name. I pieced it together with my sister using an old "elvish" language website in the 90s, but I think it might have been a real name once upon a time?

It sounds familiar ... I can't tell ...

If anyone has seen the Lady Killers with Tom Hanks, my husband and I have a relationship like Garth Pancake (JK Simmons) and his girlfriend, "Mountain Girl" (minus murder + robbery aspect). Also I live near Denver. My avatar is from Seven Deadly Sins anime. Diane is a literal axe wielding giant who represents the sin of envy.

My user ID is easy. I was born in 1958, and I'm a Geek.
<a58geek>

My name (alias?) is a bit different.
"bud"
It has several different evolutionary paths.

I grew up in the deep South, and the first time I heard the term "Bubba Dude", it kinda stuck with me.

Then I once heard this li'l nugget, which is often quite true:
"You're so Southern if... Your first name is your Grandfather's middle name, your middle name is your Grandmother's maiden name, and everybody calls you "Bud". ... And that kinda stuck.

Later I would come to like the symmetry of the lower case spelling... plus it is a bit of a nod to e e cummings (despite the myth busting).

Then I decided one day that "bud" would be a good set of initials for:
"Bubba Ulysses Dude" ... and that also stuck.
(The "Ulysses" part is a nod to the 2000 film: "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", and the character "Ulysses Everett McGill".

Well... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

bud
;)

Awesome. O Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies. So many classic moments!

Back