ladystuff

It's been said that some sugars are better than others in other words natural sugar versus processed sugars but I don't believe that will matter in an aggravated situation. I drink non dairy milk Almond Breeze. No lactose.

~Raven~

Ceoli, here are some thoughts:

Yeast overgrowth can be caused by pH imbalance, true but the underlying pH imbalance might need to be addressed, too. Are you eating well? Lots of different types of foods and of different colors? Avoiding alcohol? Sugar? (this seems to trip people up who have frequent yeast issues) Hydrated? Not too stressed?

Have you considered having your blood sugars tested? Sometimes an overgrowth of yeast can be secondary to chronic (if borderline) hypergylcemia, aka, diabetes.

Yeast is slow to grow and slow to die and will often require treatment lasting longer than the resolution of symptoms.

OTC remedies like monistat and lotrimin aren't working? Could it be Bacterial Vaginosis and not yeast? Nearly 1/3 of all women will wrestle with BV at some point in their adult lives. A simple culture can help you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Remedies:

Eliminate alcohol and sugar, reduce simple carbs to the best of your ability.

FemDophilus vaginal suppositories work well; eating yogurt helps replenish the good flora in your GI system but does little for the girl parts.

www.theherbalist.com has a tincture kit called "Beat the Yeast" that some women swear by.

Reduce or eliminate vaginal irritants for 10 days or so...Nonoxynol 9, latex and glycerine based lubes can all be culprits.

Consider trying RepHresh, a Ph balancing vainal gel sold over the counter. It works 3 days at a time and for some women is a miracle, for others an irritant.

And of course, consider NO UNDIES, just like grandma used to do. No G string, no tights or pantyhose, either.

Good luck and feel free to ping me if you want more info.

Indi

Ceoli, here are some thoughts:

Yeast overgrowth can be caused by pH imbalance, true but the underlying pH imbalance might need to be addressed, too. Are you eating well? Lots of different types of foods and of different colors? Avoiding alcohol? Sugar? (this seems to trip people up who have frequent yeast issues) Hydrated? Not too stressed?

Have you considered having your blood sugars tested? Sometimes an overgrowth of yeast can be secondary to chronic (if borderline) hypergylcemia, aka, diabetes.

Yeast is slow to grow and slow to die and will often require treatment lasting longer than the resolution of symptoms.

OTC remedies like monistat and lotrimin aren't working? Could it be Bacterial Vaginosis and not yeast? Nearly 1/3 of all women will wrestle with BV at some point in their adult lives. A simple culture can help you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Indigo, I've laid out repeatedly in this thread the preventative measures that I've been taking. I'm well aware of the links between blood sugar and yeast infections and already mentioned more than once that I have reduced my sugar intake (though honestly it was never very high to begin with) I regularly have my blood sugar tested because diabetes runs in my family but as of my last blood test (1.5 months ago), I'm still well within healthy blood sugar levels. I've repeatedly mentioned that I make a point to eat live culture yogurt. I am very intentional about my diet and overall health. I've also only ever used water based lube and don't wear pantyhose or tight underwear.

I'm also well aware of BV and have been cultured and treated for it in the past. BV has very different characteristics than yeast infections. When I suspect it, I make a point to go back to the gyn to have a culture. I've done OTC remedies as well that haven't worked.

I do appreciate you taking the time to write all this, but I'm not looking for a lifestyle lecture about me and my vagina. I was simply wondering what other remedies people may have found that work for them. I'll look up FemDophilus and RepHresh. Those might be helpful, so thanks.

My apologies for offending, I didn't mean to come across as lecturing, just sharing info learned from years as a women's health care provider. Perhaps I should have read your original post more carefully.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I apologize for being snippy in my response.

I just wanted to tell you about my Diva cup. :D
(and start a new thread for the ladies to discuss stuff that would interest us)
I love my Diva cup. I had one about 15 years ago that was made of some kind of natural rubber and it was good, but now they make them with silicone and it rocks.
Okay, its not for the faint of heart. It does involve being intimately involved with your menstrual blood. Its a bit of a challenge if you are going out and have to use a public bathroom. Its a bit of a challenge during heavy flow times as it needs emptying often. However, you can have sex with it in! This was big for me (ahum... And others ;)). Unlike a tampon that you take out before sex it can stay in and your vaginal passage stays lubed up with natural juices. As us ladies know, tampons dry the whole thing out. I find it most useful in the latter part of my moon period as it can be left in for long periods of time to catch the end stuff. My vagina doesn't taste like old menstral blood because of this too.

No apologize if you've read this guys. You came here of your own volition ;) (who knows, maybe this thread will be helpful to your women folk too).

OMG I love the Diva cup!

I used to use one called The Keeper back in the early 90's and somewhere along the way switched to the Diva cup because you could get them in the stores and not have to mail order them.

I also find that while the heavy part of my period isn't very long, I too tend to have that lingering part at the end that's just a pain. The Diva cup makes that so much more tolerable. I also try to keep a water bottle in my purse for when I have to possibly change my Diva cup in a public restroom.

My period sucks. Be thankful you're not me.

I use a cosmetic sea-sponge in lieu of tampons.

PS - My last cycle was 23 days. It's usually 25.

Oooooh -- a possible birthday present to self! Thanks for the testimonial. :)

Oh that's right, the keeper. I had a sponge too. That thing got so discusting... Blah...

About a million years ago my then wife and I made handmade pads on my sewing machine. I still use those today. I soak them in one of my boys old diaper pales for his cloth diapers. I rinse them well and soak them in borax. They double up at the beginning of my period. Then tapper off and I use the diva cup.

Mines short too. A day of heavy flow when I feel like my entire uterus is falling out of my body and then a mild flow for about 3 days. Since I've had my boy the first day is painful. I didn't have that before.

I've had the Diva Cup and Lunapads on my list for the longest time. Part of slowly transitioning to a more organic and sustainable life approach.

http://www.lunapads.com/

I think the first time I came across them was in reading Bitch Magazine.

~Raven~

YAY to Diva cups, natural lube, and tasty vaginas!!:D

I'll fuck off now:eek:

I meant "a" tasty vagina

I'm a big fan of my DivaCup. Husband declared the best benefit of it was the fact that I no longer put icky trash in the bathroom trashcan once a month. :D

Slightly off topic, although it would probably get a similar amount eye rolling from our male counterparts .... I love my IUD. I got my Mirena almost a year ago and it was the best medical choice I ever made. Three minutes of pain and I have worry-free, nearly side effect free birth control for five to seven years. I tell far to many people that probably don't care at all about it, as I have taken it as my personal responsibility to inform women about IUDs, particularly because they are either misunderstood or unknown in much of the US.

Okay, off my soap box.

And I'd use a menstrual cup if I bled enough for it to make a difference, which I don't, due to my IUD.

Slightly off topic, although it would probably get a similar amount eye rolling from our male counterparts .... I love my IUD. I got my Mirena almost a year ago and it was the best medical choice I ever made. Three minutes of pain and I have worry-free, nearly side effect free birth control for five to seven years. I tell far to many people that probably don't care at all about it, as I have taken it as my personal responsibility to inform women about IUDs, particularly because they are either misunderstood or unknown in much of the US.

Okay, off my soap box.

And I'd use a menstrual cup if I bled enough for it to make a difference, which I don't, due to my IUD.

thanks, I honestly wouldn't of considered an IUD at all.:)

The sponge does get kind of icky, but I deal with it.

I'm talking with my GYN about having my useless uterus taken out.

Okay, off my soap box.

Not for me. I don't see my menstrual cycle as a problem to be shut off. Most forms of birth control do not align with my gradual move towards more organic and natural living.

~Raven~

There are non-hormone forms of IUDs as well that don't disturb your cycle. They can lead to increased bleeding, but I know many women that have them that say they personally don't experience that. The non-hormonal ones are considered to be one of the most environmentally friendly forms of birth control because they consume a little of copper and plastic and last for up the 12 years, depending on model.

The sponge does get kind of icky, but I deal with it.

I'm talking with my GYN about having my useless uterus taken out.

If you convince him, let me know how? I'd rather like mine gone as well, given the cancers in my family... :(

This is going to sound off the wall but wear cotton gusset panties when you can't go without (as in can't go nekkie because you're not at home)! Full cotton is even better. It breathes a lot better than the other types out there & therefore helps to keep the vaginal region cooler.

If the pain & itching gets too back I also use vagisil cream & recently bought some vagisil wipes although I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet.

Back